Fweethawt

The World Needs Atheism...

Fweethawt    1,419

These people vote... As atheists, we mostly control our own minds. Not a single strong minded person would ever fall for this shit.

But religious people will do it all day, every day.

https://streamable.com/4occw

• Like 2

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Shinobi    147

These people vote... As atheists, we mostly control our own minds. Not a single strong minded person would ever fall for this shit.

But religious people will do it all day, every day.

https://streamable.com/4occw

Hi, Fweethawt.  I must say that this was one of the funniest things I've seen in quite awhile.  How completely embarrassing!  Are these people for real?  It almost makes you wonder if they don't have a few screws loose to begin with.  I can't think of a single mentally stable person that I personally know who would act out like this at home or in public without being under the influence of hardcore drugs or the like... 

Anyway, you are absolutely right when you bring up the fact that it's scary that these people can vote... It pisses me off that people like this are taken seriously at all by anyone.  Unfortunately, in our modern society people like this are not only taken seriously, but they are given positions of authority and power in our cities, places of government, and schools.

This might sound harsh to some, but I'm of the opinion that people like those featured in your video should be under some sort of psychiatric evaluation.  If anyone acted out like that in regular society without the safeguard of the church, he or she would be forcibly committed. Here is an article that I think you might be interested in checking out.  It is titled, "Kathleen Taylor, Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness."  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/31/kathleen-taylor-religious-fundamentalism-mental-illness_n_3365896.html

Fweethawt    1,419

I don't need to read anything to further inform me that religious hysteria is a mental illness along with it sometimes being just an act of people trying to make it appear that they're experiencing something "supernatural".

MOHO    446

The power of group dynamics, eh?

I could see a few previously selected "accomplices" acting out but it looked like almost the entire audience was nutters.

That reverend must be thinking "these wack jobs are so entertaining and lucrative at the same time! I LOVE my job!"

• Like 2

bornagainathiest    2,672

1 Corinthians 14 : 26 - 33.

26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. 

27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret.

28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 

30 And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. 

31 For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. 

32 The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. 

33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.

• Like 2

MOHO    446

1 Corinthians 14 : 26 - 33.

26 What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up. 

27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret.

28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 

30 And if a revelation comes to someone who is sitting down, the first speaker should stop. 

31 For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged. 

32 The spirits of prophets are subject to the control of prophets. 

33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.

so, 2k years ago, or 500 years ago or whenever this part of the Bible was written, they understood the impact that groups could have on individuals. Did they know it was group dynamics or did they think it was something spiritual. My guess is that those at the heads of churches know EXACTLY what was going on.

• Like 2

Shinobi    147

Hey, everyone.  I found the original Camp Meeting 97 video on YouTube from which Fweethawt's clip was taken.  I just thought I'd post it here in its entirety for anyone who might be interested in watching it.  It appears that the laughing manifestations start at around 37:00.  

Edit: After about five or six minutes of watching this, I was completely creeped out...  It's very hard for me to believe that there are so many grown adults who have actually fallen into this kind of thinking, who engage in this kind of behavior, and who embrace these kinds of belief systems. It's actually kind of scary.

Kenneth E Hagin Campmeeting 1997 072197 Learning to Flow with the Spirit of God

• Like 1

so, 2k years ago, or 500 years ago or whenever this part of the Bible was written, they understood the impact that groups could have on individuals. Did they know it was group dynamics or did they think it was something spiritual. My guess is that those at the heads of churches know EXACTLY what was going on.

Richard Carrier has some interesting thoughts on the psychological processes going on in the early church that produced these 'gifts'.

Another source I have yet to read claims that early Christians were essentially high on 'shrooms.

However it's likely that the people in the clip above are not high on shrooms so there must be a neurological and psychological explanation.

At least part of it will be you are in this group, this is the 'accepted' behaviour, therefore when quack a duck touches or laughs at you, essentially you let lose with your gift... which generally seems to be laugh your head off and flop all over the place.

• Like 2

To be honest, this reminds me of group hypnosis. I've seen it more than once  in person and its fascinating what people are capable of doing while under a "spell."

• Like 2

SerenelyBlue    162

I've been in a situation like that.  Couldn't stop laughing.  Felt so relaxed and believed that the holy spirit was doing it.

• Like 1

SerenelyBlue    162

Now of course I know it is crowd euphoria and hypnotic suggestion, as was suggested earlier.

• Like 1

Shinobi    147

Thanks for the video @Faithfulless!  I really enjoyed it, and it really makes me wonder how often hypnosis techniques are actually used in charismatic services.  I really think you might be onto something with this!  By the way, I had to show the video to some of my friends.  The girl who kept calling herself Bob and the guy who forgot where his mouth was just really blew my mind! :D