Goodbye Jesus

How to enjoy life without the joy of the "Lord"

TrueArrow

I've been battling oppression of some sort ever since I was saved, and when I leave Jesus there is little help after a while from something appearing trying to help us in that. How do you find the joy without the dictator? Christian brother Wilbur doesn't have a clue what Jesus did against the bible to me behind his back.

• Like 2

I've been battling oppression of some sort ever since I was saved, and when I leave Jesus there is little help after a while from something appearing trying to help us in that. How do you find the joy without the dictator? Christian brother Wilbur doesn't have a clue what Jesus did against the bible to me behind his back.

Did you mean "depression" ??

Anyway, the "Joy of the Lord" you speak of, for me was so tainted and spoiled by the mind control, hell aspect, and the ever present fear that I was not worthy, that I have more joy now.

The only lingering impact that is really bothering me now is the fundy fams. I am constantly subjected to their superstitions and attempts at control that it is lowing the quality of my life.

In short - I hope you are not looking for a lord replacement. You are your joy. You and the freedom you now have.

Embrace it!  :58:

• Like 4

Man, you are now free. Before, you were nothing but a worm, undeserving of salvation, saved only by grace by a god who couldn't look at you unless you were hidden from his sight by his son's blood. You were constantly held to an impossible standard designed to keep you feeling guilty and thus designed to keep you under the thumb of your church, your rituals. Now, your life is an open canvas. You are only limited by physics, morality (don't hurt people) and your own mind. Do stuff. Explore stuff. Push boundaries. Enjoy life. There is no sky daddy judging you. 

• Like 7

21 hours ago, TrueArrow said:

I can only speak for myself here, but..."oppression?" Bad. "Dictator?" Bad. Live your life, yo! Go to the beach! Travel! Do what you love! Dance to your favorite "heathen" music! Fall in love with someone and have lots of good sex! Holler "fuck" out loud with utter abandon. :D

tumblr_nnndvj7WBp1rt5pgzo1_400.gif

• Like 4

On 7/19/2017 at 10:02 AM, ag_NO_stic said:

I can only speak for myself here, but..."oppression?" Bad. "Dictator?" Bad. Live your life, yo! Go to the beach! Travel! Do what you love! Dance to your favorite "heathen" music! Fall in love with someone and have lots of good sex! Holler "fuck" out loud with utter abandon. :D

tumblr_nnndvj7WBp1rt5pgzo1_400.gif

LOL everybody......... Thanks for all your input.

I concur with everything that's been said. Before you were "free" in the Lord, free to believe that you were nothing and deserved only the worst kind of punishment, a truly sadistic type. 

How do you enjoy life? I don't know about you, but looking back, life wasn't really enjoyment when I was constantly wondering how many sins I'd committed and looking to have them forgiven and analyzing the hows and whys of everything that was happening in my life.

So how do we enjoy life now? Perhaps by dwelling on the fact that we are incredibly lucky to be alive here today and we get the chance to make what we will of our lives. We can be our own destiny. Sure, everyone has grey days, but most mornings now I wake up glad for another day to enjoy the sunshine or the rain, or the smile on that stranger's face as I pass them by, or that goofy joke someone told that made my morning. Most of all, I enjoy it when I can connect with other people and share my life with them even in some small way. And I am free of that black and white world where I easily judged people simply for being who they are, because that book told me to. It is utterly glorious to be able to look at the world and realize I'm part of it and its part of me and ditch the dehumanizing isolation caused by fundamentalism. How do I intend to be happy? By making myself useful to humanity in some way and loving the people in my life more fiercely, and trying to be a decent, kind person to others. I think if I'm able to succeed in this in some small measure in that, I'll be happy.

I think I felt the greatest joy when I realized the God I was talking with and giving me joy was myself. The inner guidance I recieved was never a God it was me. The first time I became Atheist I felt i was missing something I dunno how to explain it. I went back to being Eclectic exploring ever religion and new age thing I could find. I started talking to a Satanist friend and really pondering Atheism and that thought came back. I told her and She said"But, all this time you been worshiping yourself..that God friend of yours is you" These comments are wonderful they really help. Yea, my God is my brain and I am not sure why but, it brings me great comfort. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, willybilly30 said:

I think I felt the greatest joy when I realized the God I was talking with and giving me joy was myself. The inner guidance I recieved was never a God it was me. The first time I became Atheist I felt i was missing something I dunno how to explain it. I went back to being Eclectic exploring ever religion and new age thing I could find. I started talking to a Satanist friend and really pondering Atheism and that thought came back. I told her and She said"But, all this time you been worshiping yourself..that God friend of yours is you" These comments are wonderful they really help. Yea, my God is my brain and I am not sure why but, it brings me great comfort. 

This actually comforts me too. It explains a lot of my "You're a fucking piece of shit" mentality or shaming. I thought it was god....thanks calvinism! 

• Like 1

Be joyful in the Lord!.........but don't piss him off, because he can be one mean SOB. Have you read the OT & what God did to people that made him mad? There is nothing worse than an all powerful narcissistic Deity with human emotions & an attitude. I'm telling ya to steer clear of that dude. :17:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ag_NO_stic said:

This actually comforts me too. It explains a lot of my "You're a fucking piece of shit" mentality or shaming. I thought it was god....thanks calvinism! 

You need to make some positive affirmations and invent a knew God in your head. Oh, that Calvin will still be around saying that but, just let him bellow and try to laugh at him. 

Best way I know to cultivate happiness is to choose one interest that you've always enjoyed or wanted to do, and just see how far you can get with it.  As for everything else, focus on things you can control and let the other things carry on by themselves.

• Like 2