Goodbye Jesus

Is there a Science for dummies book?

willybilly30

I want to understand science but, my brain just can't comprehend it. One thousand letter word i never heard of leads to another and having google too look ever word up is kind of annoying.

I am just a simply country boy in a christian town that did not teach me much to begin with. Just wondering. 

Hey Willy,

I like science too, but need a little help with it as it doesn't come naturally to me either. This is a great series that introduces space and physics in a very accessible way. 

The Openload links work best for me. 

https://www.primewire.is/watch-2744966-Cosmos-A-SpaceTime-Odyssey-online-free

• Super Moderator

A science book for dummies would be the Bible.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I'd recommend 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson.  He's not a scientist but he's a terrific writer. 

100606629&ref=pd_sl_qnx3um4ta_e&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkafV_9Sa1QIVTZF-Ch3RogLLEAAYASAAEgIcpPD_BwE

Seconding the recommendation for "A Short History of Nearly Everything".

There's also "Asimov's New Guide to Science", which hasn't seen an edition since 1984, but thankfully, gravity still works pretty much the same. I think I have the 1972 edition, in fact, but it even covers quantum physics in a good deal of detail.

We also can't forget Hawking's "A Brief History of Time", which focuses to a large extent on time and space.

Carl Sagan's "The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark" is an interesting outlier, as it doesn't so much present the results of science, but intead tries to present and justify the scientific method. I've only recently started on it myself, but it's quite interesting. It also deals with the topic of religious faith vs. science to some extent.

51 minutes ago, Rounin said:

We also can't forget Hawking's "A Brief History of Time", which focuses to a large extent on time and space.

It's a great book, but I had to wade through it with great difficulty and I have a university degree. Willy says he's a simple country boy, which is cool, but I wonder if this book might be a bit above what he's asking for. 

Or, who knows, maybe he has more aptitude for the subject than I. 

8 hours ago, Vigile said:

It's a great book, but I had to wade through it with great difficulty and I have a university degree. Willy says he's a simple country boy, which is cool, but I wonder if this book might be a bit above what he's asking for. 

Yeah, that one is not "for dummies". It's aimed at laypeople, to be sure, but it is still technical enough that most people I know who have read it struggled with it, including some who have degrees in science.

willy, is there a particular kind of science that you are interested in learning more about, or just science in general?

13 hours ago, Vigile said:

Hey Willy,

I like science too, but need a little help with it as it doesn't come naturally to me either. This is a great series that introduces space and physics in a very accessible way. 

The Openload links work best for me. 

https://www.primewire.is/watch-2744966-Cosmos-A-SpaceTime-Odyssey-online-free

Hey Vigile thank you i really like documentaries

• Like 1

2 hours ago, disillusioned said:

Yeah, that one is not "for dummies". It's aimed at laypeople, to be sure, but it is still technical enough that most people I know who have read it struggled with it, including some who have degrees in science.

willy, is there a particular kind of science that you are interested in learning more about, or just science in general?

Where the universe came from, evolution, people's history and Some science verses religion stuff 

12 hours ago, ThereAndBackAgain said:

I'd recommend 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson.  He's not a scientist but he's a terrific writer. 

100606629&ref=pd_sl_qnx3um4ta_e&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkafV_9Sa1QIVTZF-Ch3RogLLEAAYASAAEgIcpPD_BwE

I will get it when i can 

10 hours ago, Vigile said:

I probably, should read a history of everything and see the documentary. I will study more and read that when i feel ready 

On 21/07/2017 at 11:19 PM, willybilly30 said:

Where the universe came from, evolution, people's history and Some science verses religion stuff 

You might enjoy Charles Darwin and the Tree of Life. It's a really nice, easy to follow documentary about the origin of the theory of evolution.

On 7/21/2017 at 6:43 AM, willybilly30 said:

I want to understand science but, my brain just can't comprehend it. One thousand letter word i never heard of leads to another and having google too look ever word up is kind of annoying.

I am just a simply country boy in a christian town that did not teach me much to begin with. Just wondering. 

If I were in your position and was looking to learn more about general science, I would go to the local library, sit down for an hour or so with 7th and 8th grade Junior high school level textbooks. Then you could check out one or more of these books and read them. The one or ones that would be easiest to understand, where you feel that you are learning  the most you could check out from the library over and over again. If your interests continues you could check out other library books of these types or buy one of them online that you have already previewed, or order one of these books from the local book store. It would be better to find one that you like first before you buy one since one particular book might be better for you than one that is recommended for beginners in general IMO.

23 hours ago, pantheory said:

If I were in your position and was looking to learn more about general science, I would go to the local library, sit down for an hour or so with 7th and 8th grade Junior high school level textbooks. Then you could check out one or more of these books and read them. The one or ones that would be easiest to understand, where you feel that you are learning  the most you could check out from the library over and over again. If your interests continues you could check out other library books of these types or buy one of them online that you have already previewed, or order one of these books from the local book store. It would be better to find one that you like first before you buy one since one particular book might be better for you than one that is recommended for beginners in general IMO.

This is not bad advice, just remember that not all textbooks are created equal. If you do this, then try to be careful to select reputable secular textbooks.

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2017 at 5:30 PM, disillusioned said:

You might enjoy Charles Darwin and the Tree of Life. It's a really nice, easy to follow documentary about the origin of the theory of evolution.

I will check youtube

On 7/25/2017 at 6:58 PM, pantheory said:

I probably need some school books. all i did was get in trouble and not do anything. I thought i did not really need any of the junk they teach. I wish i could go back in time and talk to myself. 

6 hours ago, willybilly30 said:

I probably need some school books. all i did was get in trouble and not do anything. I thought i did not really need any of the junk they teach. I wish i could go back in time and talk to myself. 

One can get school books, or even simpler to understand books, at the library. Of course online reading is an excellent source of learning also, but in your situation I would prefer small books, starting from wherever you think your beginning learning should start. Don't start with a book that contains a vocabulary where you have to look up the meaning of words. This may be at the 7th grade reading level.  I think you will find your beginning book at the library and progress thereafter according to your continued interests in science. Preview the books first in the library for maybe 15 minutes or so before checking them out. Of course you can check them out only one book at a time or several.