Goodbye Jesus

I'm having a panic attack

sarahinprogress

because my father sent me flat earth videos, saying hes not sure if the earth is flat but he has questions. 

as a calvinist hes always been fairly literalistic but accepted the science of heliocentricity.

i had NO IDEA it was possible to become MORE of a literalist. 

Im panicking thinking he might start trying to shut me off from my mother again if he starts taking the bible even more literally, and when i asked my mother  she told me "hes been watching some compelling videos but still thinks the earth is round" and thought it was funny and didnt care when i told her hed said he wasn't sure. 

i just wanted to tell someone who would UNDERSTAND that this is SCARY. 

You are 30 yrs. old. Time to re-prioritize. You can't stop him from believing the nonsense. And you certainly can't stop what his reactions are to his beliefs.

Let it go. Move along and live your life.

• Like 3

I agree. After a certain point, there's nothing you can do to get someone to stop believing what they believe. Any goading on your part may result in damage to a relationship. As hard as it is, you can't live your entire life going mad at how people can believe such obvious bologna. You won't have any time to live for yourself.

• Like 1

My strategy with this, with my mom who believes all kinds of End Times nonsense (and that the Presbyterians are a lost tribe of Israel) is simply to not react. Just an uninterested "uh huh". I just let her say whatever nonsense she wants, because it would be an utter waste of time to try and convince her otherwise. I suggest the same with your dad.

• Like 3

Agree with all the above posts. At best, something you say might go through. At worst, your relationship will suffer or they will see how "kooky" your beliefs are according to their own perspective. You just cant win. Let it go, let them believe what they will, and focus on making yourself happy.