Goodbye Jesus

Out of the Frying Pan...

TABA

Religion as we know it may be on the decline, but that doesn't mean people are becoming more rational.  We have a long way to go...

"... evidence suggests that the religious mind persists even when we lose faith in traditional religious beliefs and institutions."

"The less religious people are, the more likely they are to endorse empirically unsupported ideas about U.F.O.s, intelligent aliens monitoring the lives of humans and related conspiracies about a government cover-up of these phenomena."

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/21/opinion/sunday/dont-believe-in-god-maybe-youll-try-ufos.html

• Like 1

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Aye... funny I just posted a news article showing that alternate facts and tinfoil stuff is becoming 'norm'.

Being truly rational and unbiased seems to be a hard thing to achieve.

I think its just an inherit human trait to have to believe in something. 

I believe I'll have another drink. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Travi said:

I think its just an inherit human trait to have to believe in something. 

I believe I'll have another drink. 

Aye aye

I believe that you are going to have another drink.... and another one :D

Hmmm it occurs to me that perhaps the article indicates an 'in between' state for those leaving religion. Maybe it's too much for society to simply drop religion all at once so these alternative beliefs are like a stepping stone. Accordingly perhaps future generations will become less and less inclined to believe any unsupported claims, and also have less of a hang up with existential and purpose of life questions.

That's my hypothesis..... I'll be back in 500 years to check on humanity and see if the data fits the hypothesis :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So, are you guys saying this little gray alien that is sitting beside me on my couch reading this article with me isn't real?  He thinks that's funny. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

This is news to me.

Maybe it's just my circle but those who reject religion tend to question everything.

I know it's tough to admit that there is likely nothing out there and it's all on you.

2 hours ago, MOHO said:

This is news to me.

Maybe it's just my circle but those who reject religion tend to question everything.

I know it's tough to admit that there is likely nothing out there and it's all on you.

As @Geezer has said more than once, it's important to know why you believe, or in our case don't believe, something.  We in this community used reason to abandon our former god-beliefs.  I think - and hope -  that means we are the kind of people who are less susceptible to believe other unfounded claims.  Not all irreligious people have thought things through as many of us have. 

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:13 AM, Geezer said:

So, are you guys saying this little gray alien that is sitting beside me on my couch reading this article with me isn't real?  He thinks that's funny. :ph34r:

Well it might be real to you, but can you show its existence to the rest of us? :D:P 

52 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Well it might be real to you, but can you show its existence to the rest of us? :D:P 

I'll ask him, but he's taking a nap right now.  He's not as young as he used to be, & he just got here after traveling 39 million light years, so, you know, he's pretty pooped out from that trip. And boy did he ever have to pee. :wacko:

1 minute ago, Geezer said:

I'll ask him,

Soooo is this like praying?.. cause results from praying are abysmal :D

47 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Soooo is this like praying?.. cause results from praying are abysmal :D

No, his life forms have been visiting earth for thousands of years, so they can speak & understand every language on earth. They use  some kind of small device that translates my words into his language. It also translates his words into English. It's a really cool device. His actual name is -2764femkYe):632901853-#}]*++^89035481&$54!2861:#\|~£€opu76201'n",.-[}%^+=\€¥£¥<~op89140. He realizes that is impossible to pronounce in English so he told me to just call him 3...-. I think it's a family nickname.

Like I said he's taking a short nap. He should be awake in about a million light years. I'll get back to ya when he wakes up cause I don't want to disturb him. I think they can get a little testy if you annoy them. So, better safe than sorry. I'm sure you understand. 

Just now, Geezer said:

No, his life forms have been visiting earth for thousands of years, so they can speak & understand every language on earth. They use use some kind of small device that translates my words into his language. It also translates his words into English. It's a really cool device. His actual name is -2764femkYe):632901853-#}]*++^89035481&$54!2861:#\|~£€opu76201'n",.-[}%^+=\€¥£¥<~op89140. He realizes that is impossible to pronounce in English so he told me to just call him 3...-. I think it's a family nickname.

Like I said he's taking a short nap. He should be awake in about a million light years. I'll get back to ya when he wakes up cause I don't want to disturb him. I think they can get a little testy if you annoy them. So, better safe than sorry. I'm sure you understand. 

Oh yes I understand...

*Goes to phone, rings mental health line*

Me: "Hello, Ah yes, I have a friend who thinks he has an alien friend on his couch who talks to him and all that... yeah I think he needs help"

Mental Health line: "Is this alien friend called Jesus?"

Me: "No, apparently the aliens name is some gobbly gook name but they call him 3"

Mental health line: "3...??"

Me: "Yes as in the number 3"

Mental health line "Ok.... how serious do you think your friends condition is?"

Me: "I just told you my friend thinks he has an alien friend on his couch that is reading an article with him at the same time as napping and calls him 3...... does that not sound serious?"

Mental health line: "What is your friends address? We will send a full unit around"

:D

O yea of little faith. <_<

• Haha 2