Goodbye Jesus

Alternate Facts and Conspiracies vs Science

LogicalFallacy

We have well and truly entered a new era where science must now compete against every tinfoil wearing person who has a strong conviction about something.

And it's happening right here in New Zealand. And I worry.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/93666132/nelson-a-town-awash-with-tales-of-fake-news-and-tinfoil-hats

This is not isolated to NZ either - it's happening all over the world.

What's your view? - with modern forms of transmitting information, whether its correct or not, is alternative facts and emotive ideas a real threat to our future?

• Like 1

Alternative interpretations of observations is often science, but alternative facts generally means non-factual. A few conspiracy theories are probably correct, but if one believes in many of them then there probably is a problem with the way that person thinks. Yes, there is a revival of goofed up thinking in the world (sad) such as new-Earth creationists, flat-Earthers, literal translations of the Bible and the Koran being a few examples. From my experience most of such believers are poorly educated in science.

One of the effects of the information revolution is that just about anybody can spread rumors, exaggerations, bogus scare stories, etc.  My Facebook feed inevitably includes some ludicrous but viral stories.  I cringe when I see friends of mine spreading these things without even pausing for a moment to consider whether they might be false.  As somebody said, "a lie can travel half way around the world before the truth can get its pants on".

• Like 1