Goodbye Jesus

Dunkirk

HisGrace

It's a big new release that we don't have a thread about on here so I thought I'd start it. I thought it was good overall, possibly Nolan's second best film behind The Dark Knight (I'd have to rewatch Interstellar, the other contender, to be sure).

I am a little surprised by the critical acclaim, though. It's pretty much just a "ride" it doesn't have anything to say and is pretty impersonal, it just works really well because of the tension, immediacy, and breakneck pacing.

Surprisingly Harry Styles was good and probably the standout of the cast. Branagh and Rylance are servicable in "wise older man" leadership roles. Hardy barely says anything and spends most his screentime behind a pilot's mask, to the point where you wonder why they'd cast such a big star in a role like that.

Some of the production elements were really great too. The sound design is the best I've heard in years and it definitely deserves awards for that. The score was also effective. I could see it deserving a nomination for costumes too. The camera work was pretty standard stuff, though.

It's definitely the best movie of the summer and the best movie I've seen so far this year (although given what I've seen that's not saying much). I could see it being in my top ten at the end of the year (and thus deserving a BP nom) but I don't see it as a contender to win and I could live without Nolan getting a best director nod for it.

• Thanks 1

I haven't seen it yet but I love history, so it's on my to do list. 

Smart guy but he lost me at "I think miracles are probably possible."

I should clarify my comment. This was directed at Alan Watts which was a video that was available after watching that brave old bloak's emotional critique of Dunkirk.

Not intending to change the course of OP.

Like all these sorts of films it's not absolutely accurate.  They're rarely intended to be.  With that in mind I watched it last night (on Imax 70mm) and it was a good show.  It works more on the level of a suspense/thriller (it actually made me think of films like Alien in its approach) as opposed to a straight up war film.  I think this is one reason people have problems with it.  It doesn't show the battles and leaves lots out (taking other liberties along the way for the sake of building this suspense).  So it's a type of historical fiction like all these sorts of movies are but it's done well and was enjoyable.

mwc

Saw it a few weeks ago. In my opinion, it's got two things going for it, and that's suspense and aesthetics. It's VERY intense, but not in the action movie kind of way, like Saving Private Ryan, but rather, it creates an atmosphere of unease that prevails throughout most of the movie. On the downside, however, I had this feeling that this movie really never got anywhere. It's like you're watching an intense build-up for a climax that never comes.

Saw it last night. I was struck by the many ways that one can be killed or ruined in a war. Mostly the film seemed to be about the choices we face, retreat or advance, sacrifice self or preserve self, kill fellow soldiers to survive or chance it together. Then there is the randomness of who will die and who will live, despite abilities and alliances.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.