Goodbye Jesus

Fear from losing faith.

cookie666

Hi there,

I wondered whether others on this forum still have bouts of fear. I have this nagging fear that if I'm wrong about there not being a god, god will punish me in this life and the next.

As I say, I no longer believe there is a god, but my mind seems to sometimes think about such things. 

Cookie666

• Like 1

Which god? Every (nasty) god has to punish the people that believe in the other gods. The cool ones of course don't need to punish anyone, but it's hard to get a lot of followers if you are a fun god. I've at times bouts of doubts about important things in my life. Time to reflect! However, gods, no. I miss however so now and then the touch with my spiritual and even artistic side. I've to think about how I lost touch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cookie666 said:

Hi there,

I wondered whether others on this forum still have bouts of fear. I have this nagging fear that if I'm wrong about there not being a god, god will punish me in this life and the next.

As I say, I no longer believe there is a god, but my mind seems to sometimes think about such things. 

Cookie666

Cookie,

Welcome to Ex-C!

Many of us struggled with the fear of "what if".

It goes away with time.

To speed the recovery process read articles and books on why xianity, and religions in general, are dubious at best.

Study the fear tactics used by many religions - especially xanity.

Read articles on how indoctrination works and how you can "reprogram" your brain.

I know what you are feeling right now as I have been there. There was a time, not too long ago, when I had the same doubts and uncomfortable feelings as you. It goes away.

Hang in there. You are not alone.

- MOHO (Mind Of His Own)

• Like 4

Education is the answer to quelling your fears. You will have to read & study religious historians not apologist if you want to know the truth about the Bible & Christianity.

I would recommend authors like Bart Ehrman, David Fitzgerald, Robert M Price,  & Richard Carrier. I'd recommend you start with Ehrman. He's a respected scholar & he is easy to read. All of these author's books are available on Amazon & they come in kindle format.

Leaving your faith isn't easy. It is usually a long & difficult journey. I hope you find what you seek.

• Like 6

Hi cookie

Welcome to Ex-C.

Your fear is fed from the thought of punishment, that punishment in Christianity is hell. So its not so much you fear losing faith, but you fear that if you are wrong you will go to hell.

The fear of hell is a well conversed topic. May I suggest these threads:

And my rather poor attempt at briefly dealing with it on youtube.... I need to fix it.... I can do better.

Hope this helps you in the broader topic of fear of de converting.

Cheers

LF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2017 at 1:50 PM, Geezer said:

Education is the answer to quelling your fears. You will have to read & study religious historians not apologist if you want to know the truth about the Bible & Christianity.

I would recommend authors like Bart Ehrman, David Fitzgerald, Robert M Price,  & Richard Carrier. I'd recommend you start with Ehrman. He's a respected scholar & he is easy to read. All of these author's books are available on Amazon & they come in kindle format.

Leaving your faith isn't easy. It is usually a long & difficult journey. I hope you find what you seek.

I also like Bart Ehrman.  He is very learned, and writes clearly.  If you finish reading some of his research you realize that the Bible has been rewritten, changed, outright forged, revised many times and you find out many of the books in the Bible attributed to Paul, for example, have unknown authors.  It is the best way I know to get the knowledge (which you never got in church) of how the Bible originated.   You really have to research and dig.  There is no other way.  The sort of research done by Ehrman is not common knowledge.  Bart Ehrman also has a blog, which I subscribe to for a small fee.  Worth every cent.

• Like 4

Yes, many people here do feel fear still.

It's not that the evidence for the Christian God is especially convincing, compared to, say, the evidence for leprechauns, but no matter how much of the Bible we disprove and how many arguments we refute, many of us spent years believing that stuff, or were raised to believe it from a very early age. Some people shrug it off in a heartbeat, and for others, it takes a great deal of time.

• Like 1

That fear is mostly gone, personally. I'm not sure how recently your deconversion began, but most of us have had days of fear.

Time helps so soooo much. Yes I experienced it, yes that has stopped, yes it will get better.

One day at a time, hun. ❤️

• Like 2