Goodbye Jesus

New Christian Viral Video

Blamtasticful

Well at least this video is definitely not as dumb as Joshua Feurstein videos lol. Sadly it's what makes it dangerous. I don't known if you all have seen this little guy making the rounds on facebook. 

If any of you are interested this has been what I've commented on these videos thus far:

"This is a combination of straw-manning and selection bias. 1. It is straw-manning because it presents the non-believers responses in one of it's worst forms rather than it's best. 2. It presents the non-believer as accepting the Christian's responses without follow-up. 3. It selects 5 things Gary Habermas says most scholars believe while not presenting what they believe about whether these things prove the resurrection actually took place. The truth is there is doubt in scholarship on whether or not Jesus was even buried in a tomb or if he was even taken down from crucifixion assuming it took place. In no way does any of this prove that a man was reanimated 3 days after being dead instead of the untold number of other much more likely possibilities."

My attempt was to be as concise as possible at responding to a very good propaganda video. I mean I didn't even mention that Habermas doesn't release his database of research for examination. Even assuming honesty in the numbers it still doesn't admit what huge jump this one explanation is to thousands of others. The worst thing in my view is that it confirms in the minds of Christians that the rest of the Bible is true including the death, burial, and resurrection narratives which don't have the same consensus as cherry picked facts. Thoughts?

• Toss out a few intellectuals who state that some of he Bible is history.
  • Quote the Bible regarding a few events that, likely, did not happen.
  • Quote the Bible again that people who may or may not have even existed converted to Christianity.
  • State the science can only deal with what can be proven or disproved via science.
  • Top it off with a threat (that's were they went at the end, right? What IF? Then you go to HELL!)

Nope. No attempts to coerce or cajole the week of mind here, eh?

Clearly aimed at those looking for any reason to believe in a fairy tale.

Any attempt for me to be more intellectual or concise than that would take weeks of research regarding what intellectuals believe what about the stated claims as well as to compare Bible history with other written accounts of the times. Not today.

• Like 1

Science can only deal with reality. God is not real. Therefore science cannot disprove God.

Case closed.

Hey we can interchange this for Islam. Watch:

Toss out a few intellectuals who state that some of he Quran is history.

• Quote the Quran regarding a few events that, likely, did not happen.
  • Quote the Quran again that people who may or may not have even existed converted to Islam.
  • State the science can only deal with what can be proven or disproved via science.
  • Top it off with a threat (that's were they went at the end, right? What IF? Then you go to HELL!)
  • Like 4

It is very cool looking propaganda indeed. The video even pretends that there is good evidence to know that the disciples were horribly martyred and that they were given a chance to recant and then didn't, and that only matters if you assume Jesus was buried in a Tomb, that it was guarded, and that it didn't disappear from something more plausible then actual bodily resurrection after being actually dead for real. These were the first kind of apologetic arguments that I was ever exposed to as a teen so it is frustrating that they are used for unethically pacifying inquiring young minds that their belief system is rational and not just faith.

• Like 3

Can't the same thing be said for pagans who refused to recant their beliefs under threat of torture?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tsathoggua9 said:

Can't the same thing be said for pagans who refused to recant their beliefs under threat of torture?

The common Lee Strobel response is that the difference is that the disciples were eyewitnesses not people who had beliefs long after supposed events took place. The problem is that the idea that the gospels are eyewitness accounts is dubious at best and absurd at worse. It really is sophistry. 

A miracle is supernatural: Agreed. Now go heal an amputee and get back to me with the medical records showing the limbs that were lost, and the fact they have grown back, and the medical report showing that the person now has their limbs back.

We might not be able to disprove miracles, but that's one miracle you would find very difficult to refute.

• Like 3

Lol Erhman was on that list...Did whoever made this video know ANYTHING of Erhman's? I'm a lil baby deconvert still getting my feet wet with these scholars, but I know Erhman. 

Also....if doubting Thomas got to see Jesus for himself, why can't we? Why did Jesus care enough to "prove he was alive" to him, but prefers that everyone else believe without evidence? *sigh*

Yeah, I think I recognize these arguments from A Case for Christ, Letters from a Skeptic, etc.

The problem is, appealing to the 12 disciples and 500 witnesses tells us nothing, as 1) that information comes from the  Bible itself, making it its own witness, and 2) there are more than 512 buddhists or hindus or what-have-you, so obviously, 512 people can be wrong.

In fact, the Book of Atheos teaches us that 513 people specifically saw God not exist:

1:1: Lo, before there was light, the 513 Wise Ones stood over the void, and they saw that God doeth not exist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1