Sign in to follow this  
Burnedout

India court bans Islamic instant divorce

India court bans Islamic instant divorce in huge win for women's rights

An Islamic practice permitting men to instantly divorce their wives has been declared unconstitutional by India’s supreme court after decades of campaigning by women’s groups and victims. [Snipped]

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/22/india-supreme-court-bans-islamic-instant-divorce-triple-talaq

• Thanks 1

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Wow! On several levels.

• Like 1

The Christian Old Testament is little better:

Jesus told His hearers this:

“It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.”

(Matthew 5:31,32)

Is this not clear enough? Obviously not, according to some who teach otherwise! So, let the text explain itself…

Verse 31 refers to the Jewish law, that said a man may divorce his wife simply by handing her a letter containing the decree of divorce. By the time of Jesus this was a well-established custom, but it was very much misused, and wives were cast aside with little or no justification. In some cases, the man needed only to say out loud three times: “I divorce thee”, and that was that! Terms such as shalle’ah, garish, and hozi’, were used. Much of this is based on the idea of whatever pleases the husband. The ‘Bill of Divorcement’, sefer keritut, was handed by the husband to the wife and he could then order her out of the house. Other wording thought to have been used orally was “you are not my wife”. She was then given half a mina of silver before she left. It is also thought that keritut involved the husband cutting a corner off his wife’s garment, as a symbol of cutting the marriage bond. (Emphasis mine)

Casey

• Thanks 1