Goodbye Jesus

Is Jesus, god?

Bad2g4e

I've been doing lots of research lately, and I can't seem to find the correct answer to, "Is jesus, god." Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm forever trying to learn new things and I'm currently highly interested in this topic. I'd like to know because I'll be around several religious family members this up coming weekend, and if shots are fired, I'd like my "gun" fully loaded. 

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
5 hours ago, Bad2g4e said:

I've been doing lots of research lately, and I can't seem to find the correct answer to, "Is jesus, god." Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm forever trying to learn new things and I'm currently highly interested in this topic. I'd like to know because I'll be around several religious family members this up coming weekend, and if shots are fired, I'd like my "gun" fully loaded. 

Hi Bad2g4e,

Since this is an ex-Christian community, you shouldn't be surprised that our overwhelming response to your question is a resounding NO!  But if this is actually still a question in your mind then you're probably not ready to debate the issue with Christians.  You may want to do some reading from those who study the Bible and the history of the period without a religious agenda.  Bart Ehrman's book "How Jesus Became God" seems like a good place for you to start.  Spoiler alert: Ehrman is not going to describe how a man became a deity, but rather how a man was turned into a god in the eyes of some, who were then able to propagate this unlikely belief.

I should mention that while Ehrman accepts that a man named Jesus actually existed, there are others who are convinced that 'Jesus' is either entirely mythical or an amalgam of various Jewish figures from that era.

• Like 2

As TABA noted there are several books by scholars focused on how Jesus became God. Every historical scholar I'm aware of has come to the same conclusion. If such a man named Jesus actually existed, & some scholars don't believe he did, the Biblical version of him is a fictionalization version. 

If such a person lived no one apparently thought he was interesting enough to write one single word about him in ancient archives. The biblical Jesus has no historical footprint. The Biblical Jesus is only found in the gospel story. So the short answer to your question is no Jesus isn't God. 

And yes that means the entire Christian Faith has been built on a lie. Oh yeah, I wouldn't advise you to get in a religious discussion with your family just yet. It will take you a long time to get your "gun" loaded. I can recommend these scholars to read. They'll give your some ammunition for your gun.

As noted any of Dr. Bart Ehrman's books would be a good place to start. Dr. Karen Armstromg's book A History of God is very good. Other scholars that have some good books out there would be Dr. Robert M. Price, David Fitzgerald, & Richard Dawkins that ought to keep you busy for awhile. 

Are you asking from a theological point of view or a reality point of view.

Theologically the father (God) and the son are one thus making Jesus God.... except if you are a Jew in which case the idea is heresy. "I am God and I change not.... except when I have a son" Yahweh cica BC 2

From a reality point of view, there is no evidence for any god whatsoever. Whoever proves such gets a million dollars, fame and fortune, and makes the biggest discovery of all time.

There is debate on whether Jesus even existed or is a composite of several real characters woven into a single story.

• Like 1

No.

Sorry for the snark, I've just always wanted to do that lol. I'll make one more comment. I'll echo others here that you are likely not ready for such a debate. But if you do so anyway, you rebel you, consider quoting the "holy koran" every time they quote the bible to make a point to them that their holy book means nothing to you. Wise advice was given to me on this site: You do not have to stay boxed in THEIR thinking. If they quote scripture, decline. If they talk about what god says or believes, tell them he can speak for himself. Do not fall for their statements of belief as truth.

• Like 1