Goodbye Jesus

Weird things you used to believe when you were a Christian

SerenelyBlue

• Super Moderator

Some Ex-Cs still believe and do weird things. Weird is in the eye of the beholder, and it's always the "other guy."

7 hours ago, Lost said:

Covering head with a scarf or any other material while praying, cause as believers explain that..."when a woman while praying won't cover her head some angels from the sky might become attracted to her and transform into fallen angels".

1 hour ago, knightcore said:

I had no idea that's why some Christians covered! I knew about other religions but it always baffled me why Christians did it as well. Is it specifically during prayer or is it when you set foot in a holy place?

I've never heard that one before. It's usually based on 1 Corinthians 11:5, which says that women who pray or prophesy with their heads uncovered dishonor their heads (which appears to refer to men; see the context, especially verse 3). Still weird, of course.

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:18 AM, BlindersRemoved said:

I was a literalist, so I believed that...

Jonah was really swallowed by the whale

Samson lost his strength by having his hair cut

All the animals really did get on the ark

Evolution = bullshit

And every other crazy idea that is in the Bible. As I think back on it now, I just shake my head in wonder. I was in my late 30s before I saw the light, but at least the truth did finally set me free.

This is so me... except mine was early 30's

Worlds apart and our stories so similar.

I will add that we took the verse that "many are called and few chosen" so literally that it was taught that our single very tin church was the one that had the light and we were the chosen few.... not sure where the rest of you were going, but it wasn't to heaven!

Oh, PS on the evolution thing - on top of evolution being bullshit, it was taught that the 'missing link' was the serpent because he mated with Eve - therefore if scientists wanted to find the link they should look at snakes.... shit ass weird.

Peeves me off actually that so uneducated were we that this bullshit was taken as truth. Today we know there is no such thing as a "missing link" and everything is transitional.

The rapture.  Its pretty weird. 

• Like 2

Besides most of the things taught in the Bible, a few really stick out to me.

1) In highschool and college, I was always completely baffled when I found out that any of my believer friends went to parties and got drunk. I had this weird relationship with alcohol for the longest time, because I knew it wasn't a sin to drink it, but it very clearly was (to my denomination lol) to become intoxicated. I was really paranoid about where the line was and I would feel really guilty if I started getting giggly due to being a lightweight....

2) This is weird, sorry, but I TOTALLY bought into "God winks" for the longest time. I somehow ignored my psychological/emotional torment at god's silence towards me because I convinced myself that he was communicating with  me REALLY subtly and I just had to pay attention to him and focus on him to hear his "voice." One specific way I did this was through pennies (and other coins.) I read some cutesy online story somewhere that because a penny says "In God We Trust" written on the head side, whenever you happened upon a heads up penny, it was god reminding you to trust him. It would happen at weird times (or so I thought) and I would always kinda smile and look up at heaven and be like "I gotchu, G." I still kinda stop when I see one and wonder....then I remember that it's fucking weird to assume that god (if he exists) would be consumed with leaving me heads up pennies in random places instead of just talking to me or, you know, giving a sandwich to a starving kid or something.

3) As an aspiring baker who has dreamed of owning a pretty little bakery for a long time, I would often ask myself if I would "bake the cake for the gay guy" or not. It was actually a really big deal for me, because the kind, empathetic (and human) part of me longed to make the day special for anyone who would choose me to bake a wedding cake. Also I didn't want to be a discriminating asshole. But there is this weird "brownie points for Jesus" mentality that christians have about standing up for what "god hates." I eventually just decided that god would have to forgive me for showing love through cake, since we were all sinners and there are a lot of straight marriages that are also fucked up. I didn't even consider at the time how weird the OT marriage laws were, but I was sincerely tormented by this issue lol. I would read all of the comments about "how hateful the baker was," and etc etc and I would just really stress over what I would do. 

• Like 1

When i was little, i thought that retarded children were the result of unmarried people having sex.  

On 17/09/2017 at 6:56 PM, knightcore said:

I had no idea that's why some Christians covered! I knew about other religions but it always baffled me why Christians did it as well. Is it specifically during prayer or is it when you set foot in a holy place?

It's to do with the "covering of glories" in 1 Corinthians 11.  Basically, it is possible to trace it through as:

1. The woman is the glory of the man; therefore she is covered by her hair - v7 & 15;
  2. The woman's hair is the glory of the woman; therefore she is covered by a hat, veil or whatever - v15;
  3. The man is the glory of god; therefore he is uncovered (wears nothing on his head) - v7
  4. Symbolically, therefore, nothing is seen to be in competition with the glory of god, as the glory of man and woman are both covered.

It also reinforces patriarchal hierarchy - the woman with short hair (therefore an "uncovered" woman) dishonours "her head" (i,e, the man) - v3 & 5.  This is interpreted so as to indicate that the woman must not, even symbolically, compete with the man.

Another ramification of this outlook is that women are regarded as obliged to wear their hair long (because it both their covering and their glory) but the man to wear his hair short (because, as the glory of god, he must have no covering).

Don't shoot the messenger.  Just answering your question.  I know it's bullshit.

• Like 1

On 2017-09-17 at 6:06 PM, LogicalFallacy said:

This is so me... except mine was early 30's

Worlds apart and our stories so similar.

I will add that we took the verse that "many are called and few chosen" so literally that it was taught that our single very tin church was the one that had the light and we were the chosen few.... not sure where the rest of you were going, but it wasn't to heaven!

And this is me too. Everything was taken literally. And you've no idea how often I've heard the "many are called and few are chosen" verse, and yes it  never included other Christians, only this small exclusive sect. I'm sure if I read the Bible over now and counted the number of things that I literally believed to be true id be mind boggled. But thats what its like when youre indoctrinated from day one, it takes half of your life to wake up to the lie. 

I remember believing that Noah had baby dinosaurs on the ark and that they went extinct later on because humans killed them off. I also believed that the Bible was historically accurate and that the earth was created in 6 days, the exodus happened, and all sorts of other things. Probably the weirdest thing was that I believed that Kent and Eric Hovind understood science, but all of those "evolutionists" didn't LOL.

• Like 1