Goodbye Jesus

Are we close to the end of human civilization?

ChelseaGuy

I just started posting here today. I think a lot of us are worried about the state of certain things today whether God or no gods exist. I have lost my faith in Jesus for 10 years. I am no longer in acceptance with Christian doctrine. 

But I'm still concerned about any possibility that's even slightly remote that human civilization will end within the next 5 or 10 years. It might even be just weeks away. This is because there is more fear of North Korea, the bad disasters, ISIS and it's terrorist ilk wanting destruction, etc. It's more heated than it was even last year ago. 

I mean, we have a 24 hour news cycle, but this doesn't mean anything relevant. I still sometimes think that things have changed a lot for the worse in some terms. 

And even when people say the world is going to only end when the sun burns out 100 million years, why does the risk of global nuclear catastrophe exist? Why did North Korea (presumably) make a direct threat to nuke the US and/or knock down the whole grid and appliances, utilities with an EMP attack?

Why did the God I believed in growing up put me here if the ultimate fate of humanity is to be extinct during my lifetime? 

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

If ancient historians are correct civilization has been all but wiped out more than once. Asteroid strikes have occurred more than once with the result that virtually all life on earth became extinct. A cosmic event is always possible,  climate change appears to be real & that seems to be a natural event that has happened many times in earth's history, & now mankind has developed the ability to destroy themselves. 

The recent hurricanes had shown how vulnerable our technology is to being destroyed & how dependent we are on that technology working as it was designed to do. It would appear that mankinds survival is indeed resting on a precariously thin string that can be easily broken. Not a pleasant thought. I'm sure the citizens of Ancient Rome thought they were indestructible too & that the Roman Empire would last forever. Lots of empires have thought they would last forever. 

The United States seems to be have been on a downward spiral for awhile now, but we keep pretending we aren't. I don't think God or any other supernatural deity has anything to do with events happening on earth. That little turd in North Korea seems determined to start a nuclear war or he's playing a really high stakes game of nuclear chicken. One that he very well may lose, along with much of the rest of the world. 

These are indeed troublesome times. 

Oh yeah, welcome aboard ChelseaGuy. You might consider telling us a little about yourself in the introduction forum, assuming the world doesn't end before you get that chance. ;)

• Like 1

God doesn't have to be responsible for this. I do kind of wish he intervened to stop it though. I just hated the stupid doctrine of Heaven, it almost scares me just as much as Hell. I would rather have no conscience if anything, but still. 

You seem to believe "God" actually exist & this "God" is a male. That is really not very PC. :(

He doesn't necessarily have to be male. 

21 minutes ago, ChelseaGuy said:

He doesn't necessarily have to be male. 

God is a male because God was created by ancient male dominated cultures. Women were property, but a few did become Goddesses in Egyptian, Greek, & Roman "mythology."

The God of the Bible was the offspring of a "mythical" Canaanite war God named EL Therefore a mythical God had to somehow create a real God & this "real" God had to create a human version of itself in the form of Jesus. 

Real history can be a bitch sometimes.  :wacko:

So if the world ends, then what? No more worrying about the world ending, I suppose.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• Super Moderator

Old Christian habits die hard.

The world has gone through so many different periods and given rise to so many different life forms. Then these life forms almost completely die off, all except a small few. From that small life evolves into a new plethora of creatures until the next time. Life always perseveres. If any creature in the history of all creatures on this planet can find a way to skip being wiped off the face of the earth, I'd bet us humans would be it. 

Food for thought: say we fix the planet, don't blow ourselves up or unleash an incurable disease upon ourselves, I wonder how different we might evolve to look like in the next billions of years. I wonder about skin color.. it's an evolutionary trait that directly correlates with the amount of UV rays our ancestors lived with. But now humans live and move to all places of the earth and we spend a considerable amount of time in doors, plus factor in interracial relationships. I wonder about stature/body type... we are no longer hunters and gatherers. Obesity is definitely a problem. Will we evolve to handle this better? Will technology take away the need to be active at all? (ever seen Disney's Wall-E?) Will we get taller? Shorter? I wonder about our food supply... we have changed our foods so much, will our bodies evolve to the point that we can only handle processed foods? Do you ever think we will leave this planet? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Christy said:

The world has gone through so many different periods and given rise to so many different life forms. Then these life forms almost completely die off, all except a small few. From that small life evolves into a new plethora of creatures until the next time. Life always perseveres. If any creature in the history of all creatures on this planet can find a way to skip being wiped off the face of the earth, I'd bet us humans would be it. 

Food for thought: say we fix the planet, don't blow ourselves up or unleash an incurable disease upon ourselves, I wonder how different we might evolve to look like in the next billions of years. I wonder about skin color.. it's an evolutionary trait that directly correlates with the amount of UV rays our ancestors lived with. But now humans live and move to all places of the earth and we spend a considerable amount of time in doors, plus factor in interracial relationships. I wonder about stature/body type... we are no longer hunters and gatherers. Obesity is definitely a problem. Will we evolve to handle this better? Will technology take away the need to be active at all? (ever seen Disney's Wall-E?) Will we get taller? Shorter? I wonder about our food supply... we have changed our foods so much, will our bodies evolve to the point that we can only handle processed foods? Do you ever think we will leave this planet? 

Some of those theories sound quite scary. I wouldn't really want to live on Earth for billions of years, but I have a strong belief that I want to live when I'm old into my 70s, I am depressed at the idea of dying young. 

The very sad thing about man having the ability to do more killing or destruction to civilization is that fate of death will be painful and slow, and when/if we do blow ourselves up our something else, it will all end in one fell swoop. 

@ChelseaGuy well if we all die, we won't die alone. My advice is, try to accept the fact that we will all die eventually, be it from natural causes or not. I feel like anytime I am afraid of something I can not change, if I can find a way to accept it and just tell my brain "this is just how it is" I am able to handle it a lot easier. If that doesn't work for you then maybe you should consider donating your time and/or money to an organization(s) that would combat the evils that you see destroying life on earth. Being proactive against the evils may help you rest easier. You would feel as though you were making a difference and helping to stop the end of the world. 

Also, 70 is still pretty young! How old are you? I promise there is plenty of life after 70!!! I am only 28 but I have friends who are 70+ and I work in an assisted living community taking care of people who are over a hundred and still have their mind and get up and do stuff. They buy newly released books, debate politics, sing karaoke, go to baseball games, go out to dinner with friends etc etc. They still live life at that age. It is a beautiful thing. Don't live your life in fear of dying. Just live your life and if one day you die... well you won't have to be sitting here scared of dying anymore. 🤗🤗🤗

• Like 2

I'm retired & in my 70's. It's pretty cool actually. I get a check every month, it's kind of like being paid for not going to work. How cool is that? No rush hour traffic, we do our shopping when other folks are at work.  I highly recommend retirement, if it wasn't for the fact my body is wearing out it would be perfect. :woohoo:

• Like 4

US media is one of the most repugnant of all medias. It's all owned by essentially the same groups with the same interests and they have been fanning the flames of fear to ever increasing degrees -- especially since 9.11. 

The only way civilization disappears is if the US starts a war that ends up on its own soil for a change. DPRK isn't a threat. We are a threat to them. White supremacists are not a threat, they are a shrinking group of heavily marginalized people who are being hyped for political purposes. ISIS would go away if the US/Israel/Saudis would quit funding and arming them (no, this isn't conspiracy theory, it's even congressionally approved -- Tulsi Gabbard has even floated a bill to stop the practice, which has been rejected by other members). The media creates a reality for people which just doesn't exist. 

• 4 months later...
On 9/15/2017 at 4:38 PM, ChelseaGuy said:

I just started posting here today. I think a lot of us are worried about the state of certain things today whether God or no gods exist. I have lost my faith in Jesus for 10 years. I am no longer in acceptance with Christian doctrine. 

But I'm still concerned about any possibility that's even slightly remote that human civilization will end within the next 5 or 10 years. It might even be just weeks away. This is because there is more fear of North Korea, the bad disasters, ISIS and it's terrorist ilk wanting destruction, etc. It's more heated than it was even last year ago. 

I mean, we have a 24 hour news cycle, but this doesn't mean anything relevant. I still sometimes think that things have changed a lot for the worse in some terms. 

And even when people say the world is going to only end when the sun burns out 100 million years, why does the risk of global nuclear catastrophe exist? Why did North Korea (presumably) make a direct threat to nuke the US and/or knock down the whole grid and appliances, utilities with an EMP attack?

Why did the God I believed in growing up put me here if the ultimate fate of humanity is to be extinct during my lifetime? 

I’m quite convinced of a couple of things. 1) That the nature of humans has always been as it is now, and 2) that the reason it all seems worse now is that we have instant communication.

Something horrible happens and we get the “breaking story” alert on our mobile devices.  The media is relentless and can be exhausting.  

While it is important to stay informed, becoming obsessed is dangerous.  This was a lesson I learned while serving on a nuclear submarine which carried 16 ICBMs, each with up to 5 nuclear, independently targeted warheads.  Sure, we knew our boat alone (there we 41 of them at the time), should we receive an authenticated order to launch, could have destroyed the world.  But we couldn’t spend every second worrying about that, lest we become paralyzed and unable to function at all.

Enjoy every moment with your loved ones.  These days, as in all times and conditions, it’s a very real possibility that they could be our last.

May I also suggest that you read this post about the person we knew as BAA, which is a wonderful, beautiful vision of our collective destiny.  It’s pinned at the top in The Lions Den, but I’ll quote in its entirety here:

”Dear friends,

Thank you for coming together today to celebrate my life and to remember me.  As my friends and loved ones, you’ll have known that the stars, the planets and astronomy were a lifelong passion of mine.  I deeply appreciated and loved our fascinating and wonderful universe.  As my parting gift to you all, I’d like to share a thought about the cosmos.  I find this thought to be exquisitely beautiful and I hope you will too.

This thought doesn’t concern my consciousness.  That brief spark of self-awareness has gone out, never to return.  Instead, this thought concerns the ultimate fate of my body.  Or more specifically, the atoms that my body is composed of.  In this universe all patterns of matter and energy must change over time and my pattern is no different, no exception to that rule.  But the changes my unliving body will undergo and the new patterns it may be recycled into are a source of wonder and fascination to me.

My atoms will go into the soil of this land.  But even when the human race is long dead or departed from this planet, the story will not be over.  In the far distant future our Sun will grow and change into a red giant star.  Most likely, the Earth will be swallowed up in the Sun’s bloated, outer atmosphere, dissolving and vaporizing in the heat.

The atoms that made up my body will become part of this boiling, superheated mix of gases.  In a kind of last gasp, the Sun will shed its atmosphere, leaving behind just it’s tiny, blazingly hot core - changing from a red giant into a white dwarf star.  It’s possible that my atoms will be absorbed into the Sun and remain there.  But if that doesn’t happen, then they will be blown off into interstellar space, along with the rest of the Sun’s gaseous atmosphere. 

These gases will drift for billions of years through the Milky Way galaxy until they gather into new clouds of star-forming material.  Just as our Sun is a second or third generation star, formed from one of these clouds long ago, so new generations of stars will be formed from our dying Sun’s expelled gases.   Just as the Earth formed in orbit around the Sun, so new planets will form around these new suns and my atoms may well be incorporated into these new worlds.

If the conditions are right, life may arise there and perhaps evolve to become self-aware, just as it did here.  I consider this an amazing and exhilarating thought.  That the materials of my body have the long-term potential to become part of a new pattern of life and consciousness.  So, I do not fear my death in any way.  Instead, I welcome it and accept it as part of the natural order of things.   

Therefore, please do not weep for me.  I no longer exist.  If you do cry, I hope it’s because you miss me.   J.R.R. Tolkien described this sadness of loss and parting very well at the end of his Lord of the Rings trilogy.  The hobbits Pippin, Merry and Sam wept because their good friend and companion Gandalf was leaving them forever.  However, their tears were not for him, but for themselves.   They cried tears of loss because they were losing him, not because he was lost.  Here are his last words to them.

“Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”

And now my friends, my last word to you is a fond… farewell.”

First of all, welcome to the forum.

On 9/15/2017 at 1:38 PM, ChelseaGuy said:

None of those things could end civilization.  Oh there could be a bad day but civilization would continue on.

• Like 1