Goodbye Jesus

Did Anyone Else Attend a Private Christian School?

LovelyChantel

I'm curious how many here attended a private Christian school?

I for one attended a private Christian school, grades K - 12th,  so from ages 5 - 17.

I'm curious how many had the same experiences as myself.

•Are your memories of said school(s) pleasant?

•Was there any abuse?

•Did your school(s) adhere to the same standards of curriculum and punishment as public schools do? 

For me the punishments were barbaric at times. The punishments ranged from:

Public humiliation/shaming from the whole student body and staff in the gymnasium where our crimes were broadcasted

Teachers pinching our cheeks into our teeth and hitting our hands with rulers

Sitting us in the halls away from other students

Making us write out verses or passeges without any mistakes sometimes a hundred or more times

My least favorite, in-school suspension - this consisted of shutting said student in a VERY little closet with a small desk, no windows, and no air or heat. Said student could not communicate with other students and could not leave closet without permission (bathroom breaks were allowed but there was a special bathroom where we would go that wasn't where any students were as we could have no contact with them). This in-school lasted up to 3 school days - so 8 hours a day in a very small closet with a little child's desk.

Inappropriate sexualized behavior from older students and a teacher towards me at least, I can't say what it was like for the other students. 

And the curriculum was a joke, all sciences were creationist theory as well as history and economics. It was mostly all about learning the Bible in and out and studying it and researching it. We were not taught anything secular at all and our clothes could not be "of the outside world". We used BJU and Pensacola textbooks mostly. We had chapel every Monday and had to memorize verses and go to yet another closet and recite it to the teacher so other students couldn't hear us. 

I was personally pulled to the front of the class and told to stand there as the teacher instructed the other students to call me stupid and I quote, "Do not be her friend. She will lead you to hell. Do not be nice to her." The principal even got within inches of my face and screamed so harshly that she spat on me and told me I was vile and a shame to the school. I admit, I had some bad behaviors and was rebellious... But who wouldn't in that place or the home/church life I had to go home to. Lol!! 

Did the school faculty and students also love you too?

Yes thru 9th grade

was physically paddled with a board in 3rd. 

Was told to walk to barber unattended in 5th grade as my hair was touching my ear... I refused. Was sent home. 

Great math and english education and great friends. 

I didn't, but the xian school in my hometown was where parents sent their problem kids, so it had a reputation as a school full of bullies and petty criminals. Not sure how accurate the rumors were. 

Yes, small college near Chicago for a year.

I thought the non-religious classes were good and helpful because of small class size. 

Hated being forced like everyone on campus to attend chapel 3 times a week. That's where the brain washing continued.

Remember a girl getting pregnant and was not married. She had to leave the school. He got to stay.

I had fun because most Christians can't wait to break the rules. Had a group of friends that would go to downtown Chicago and get drunk on the weekends. No one tattled because everyone was guilty.

No corporal punishment. The worst penalty was getting kicked out and the school needed your money, so there were a lot of warnings and only if you did something so bad and everyone knew about it, then expulsion would happen.

I have nice memories, although all of those memories had nothing to do with anything spiritual.

Most of the people I knew from that time are still running the Christian hamster wheel on FB. Makes me sad.

Yes it wasn't all bad. I had great friends up to a point. And there were some good teachers. But in the end they all turned on me once they expelled me. They threatened the other students with expulsion if they didn't all write incriminating (some true but a lot false) things about me, my sex life, things I said, etc.) They found out I wasn't a virgin, 3 weeks before graduation - out of a graduating class of 3 people!! Lol!! 

I attended David Lipscomb High School ( "Church of Christ" institution) in Nashville, Tennessee from 1977 to 1979, my junior and senior years. The people were generally very nice and friendly. The classes were academically good except for the emphasis on Creationism and the tendency to take the Bible literally.

I'm glad you had positive memories. Mine weren't all bad. But there also was a lot of bad too but I'm so thankful for the good. 

I was in Christian school for all my school years except three years when I was home-schooled. Most of my memories of school are pretty good. I don't recall any abuse. Other than some Bible classes, creationist teachings, and chapel, the curriculum was alright although most of it was from A Beka Books which is all Christian perspective. 

From age 11 to 15 I was home schooled by Christian parents using A Beka as a foundation so I guess that's kind of a private Christian school?

Very based on Christian perspective.

English and Maths was ok, but history all slated with a Christian perspective and anything in the bible taken as true.

Science I don't remember much of until I was 15 and by then we had shifted to the secular material to get me through School Certificate.

All in all my education was shit. Trying to make up for it now.

By the way I found out the pyramids were not built using Enochs atomic power. Big shock that one :P (The shit I used to believe and the family still does believe!)

14 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

From age 11 to 15 I was home schooled by Christian parents using A Beka as a foundation so I guess that's kind of a private Christian school?

Very based on Christian perspective.

English and Maths was ok, but history all slated with a Christian perspective and anything in the bible taken as true.

Science I don't remember much of until I was 15 and by then we had shifted to the secular material to get me through School Certificate.

All in all my education was shit. Trying to make up for it now.

By the way I found out the pyramids were not built using Enochs atomic power. Big shock that one :P (The shit I used to believe and the family still does believe!)

"Enoch's atomic power"?  That's a new one for me! Never heard of it. Fascinating!

On 9/17/2017 at 8:55 AM, Ann said:

Yes, small college near Chicago for a year.

I thought the non-religious classes were good and helpful because of small class size. 

Hated being forced like everyone on campus to attend chapel 3 times a week. That's where the brain washing continued.

Remember a girl getting pregnant and was not married. She had to leave the school. He got to stay.

I had fun because most Christians can't wait to break the rules. Had a group of friends that would go to downtown Chicago and get drunk on the weekends. No one tattled because everyone was guilty.

No corporal punishment. The worst penalty was getting kicked out and the school needed your money, so there were a lot of warnings and only if you did something so bad and everyone knew about it, then expulsion would happen.

I have nice memories, although all of those memories had nothing to do with anything spiritual.

Most of the people I knew from that time are still running the Christian hamster wheel on FB. Makes me sad.

Ann, holy shit. Another similarity between you and I lol. I went to a small private college (stayed all four years) and had to attend chapel 3 times a week. A girl got pregnant my freshman year, I thought she dropped out willingly though. I didn't break the rules, except for skipping chapel, but that's just because I didn't want to be talked and gossiped about. I never got punished so I don't know, but "community service" was a big thing with our school because #freelabor. 

@LovelyChantel, I was homeschooled so I got some of that shit from my "teachers" too. We had BJU and a Beka (very conservative too) plus heavy apologetics courses. I didn't get any of that horrid closet shit, but we got spanked, grounded, chores all day long, and no friends/outings for....months lol. It was frustrating because my mother would punish me (as a parent should) for things I wasn't understanding or learning. So....if I rolled my eyes at an assignment (like kids do at school) or "was purposefully being dense," than I got parent/kid discipline and not student/teacher discipline. Very confusing. 

Same with friends on the hamster wheel. :/

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2017 at 2:28 AM, LovelyChantel said:

•Are your memories of said school(s) pleasant?

•Was there any abuse?

•Did your school(s) adhere to the same standards of curriculum and punishment as public schools do? 

- Not at all. 

- No physical abuse occurred when I attended, but previously children were caned as punishment. I would make an argument for all religious indoctrination and scare-mongering (telling children they will go to Hell for sinning) as being a form of psychological abuse. 

- We were not taught the national curriculum, but were not physically punished. We were taught "creationist science".