Goodbye Jesus

Idk where to post this...

Christy

Just sat on the phone with my mother for an hour listening to how some shit in the sky was going to happen over Israel tomorrow and the sun will go black for 3 hours and how hurricane Maria (aka Mary) and hurricane Jose (aka Joseph) were going to "dance"? (IDFK) And something about ten stars and planets in a constellation. AND I've heard all these signs are being fulfilled and on and on and I just want to scream "Jesus Christ"(and not in the good way). Now she's sent me a video explaining all of it. I just went along with it and spit out whatever verses I could think of to coincide with what she talked about as if I still believe it all. If you are still in the closet as a non-believer, what do you do when your loved ones start talking about all of this? I'm so ready for these dates to pass so I can at least have a break before the next round of end time coincidences start popping up. It's stressing me out! 

If you value the relationship, there is no solving the problem.  Just remember this:  It is always about THEM. Always.  It is NEVER about you.

Keeping this in mind will help your mind understand what is really going on in these conversations.  Never ever expect you are the concern of any conversation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ConsiderTheSource said:

If you value the relationship, there is no solving the problem.  Just remember this:  It is always about THEM. Always.  It is NEVER about you.

Keeping this in mind will help your mind understand what is really going on in these conversations.  Never ever expect you are the concern of any conversation. 

Yeah I'm feeling like I might just keep this secret until she dies. 

3 hours ago, Christy said:

Yeah I'm feeling like I might just keep this secret until she dies. 

That sounds harsh but my mother is the sweetest most giving person I know. She's only become radical the past few years. As her and my step fathers health has decreased their faith has increased. She talks to me like I'm just another believer. It would depress her if she thought I was on the path to hell. I feel like I'd rather just refrain from breaking her heart and let her live thinking like I'm a Christian. 

16 hours ago, Christy said:

Just sat on the phone with my mother for an hour listening to how some shit in the sky was going to happen over Israel tomorrow and the sun will go black for 3 hours and how hurricane Maria (aka Mary) and hurricane Jose (aka Joseph) were going to "dance"? (IDFK) And something about ten stars and planets in a constellation. AND I've heard all these signs are being fulfilled and on and on and I just want to scream "Jesus Christ"(and not in the good way). Now she's sent me a video explaining all of it. I just went along with it and spit out whatever verses I could think of to coincide with what she talked about as if I still believe it all. If you are still in the closet as a non-believer, what do you do when your loved ones start talking about all of this? I'm so ready for these dates to pass so I can at least have a break before the next round of end time coincidences start popping up. It's stressing me out! 

Get caller ID. :)

Let voicemail handle it. :)

Whenever she starts going on about the end times tell her you have to go potty really bad. Then say bye.

Tell her 'he' will come like a thief in the night. Nobody knows what day or hour...blah blah blah.

Tell her you dont want to talk about end times.

Tell her you're no longer a Christian.

Tell her you dont believe in these false prophecies.

Wow, the sun just went black here...holy shit...no, wait, it's just some cloud cover. :)

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Christy said:

That sounds harsh but my mother is the sweetest most giving person I know. She's only become radical the past few years. As her and my step fathers health has decreased their faith has increased. She talks to me like I'm just another believer. It would depress her if she thought I was on the path to hell. I feel like I'd rather just refrain from breaking her heart and let her live thinking like I'm a Christian. 

You don't 'owe' her any disclosure of your personal beliefs.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Christy said:

I just went along with it and spit out whatever verses I could think of to coincide with what she talked about as if I still believe it all.

Are you helping your mother or enabling her?

53 minutes ago, sdelsolray said:

Are you helping your mother or enabling her?

If there was ever a person who would never give up their religion, it is my mother. She believes it with every inch of her. She said while my grandmother was dying she laid on her bed, lifted her hands and said "glory,glory". That sealed the deal for my mom. She'll never turn her back on Christianity. 

2 minutes ago, Christy said:

If there was ever a person who would never give up their religion, it is my mother. She believes it with every inch of her. She said while my grandmother was dying she laid on her bed, lifted her hands and said "glory,glory". That sealed the deal for my mom. She'll never turn her back on Christianity. 

You did not answer my question.

15 hours ago, Christy said:

Oh how I wish I could do this, leave my parents thinking I'm a believer and spare them the heartache that I know will be theirs. But when people are so fundamentalist that there is no way around being able to live up to their rules and regulations, even as pretense, there's no escape. If youre able to do it, kudos to you. 

You may be able to distance yourself from these kinds of conversations without going all the way to "I'm not a Christian anymore". I don't know your situation, but I did this with my family and it worked pretty well.

Remember that there are all kinds of Christians who believe all kinds of things about the end times. Just pick a less crazy kind of Christian to pretend to be. Tell her that you don't think the end times are imminent because of all the false alarms that we've had. Tell her that every generation of Christians has thought that they were the final generation. Remind her that the Jews didn't expect or recognize the coming of the messiah, and ask if it does not stand to reason that we, too, might not expect or recognize the second coming. Give her the line about no one knowing the day or the hour and, as midniterider suggested, that he will come like a thief in the night. Tell her that you don't think a fixation on the end is healthy, or even in line with what Christianity is about. We are here, and now, and we don't know how long we have. Shouldn't we focus on doing the best we can with the time that we do have rather than wasting it wishing for it all to end?

Don't try to change her mind, try to get her to agree to disagree. If can do this about side issues like the end times, then maybe one day it will be easier to do it with the central issues as well. Or go another way entirely. Like I said, I don't know your situation.

• Like 2