Goodbye Jesus

Religious lessons in state schools: 'It's Christian indoctrination'

LogicalFallacy

Well this is interesting - there is a group advocating stopping religious teaching in schools in NZ.

I thought this had already been banned.

Full article below, and current poll results underneath.

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/national/religious-lessons-in-state-schools-its-christian-indoctrination/ar-AAssFGy

Poll results.jpg

I voted for yes - a variety of religion should be taught. I don't think it should be outright banned - this is similar to censorship which I am adamantly against. However I am also adamantly against a privilege few religions being able to indoctrinate kids. I am in favour of a broad based curriculum where indoctrination is kept out and kids are taught what religion is, what different major and minor religions there are, what similarities and differences there are and what the base beliefs of each are, what some of the dangers of religion are and benefits they can provide..

What are your thoughts on religion in schools?

• Like 1

I also vote yes, but a variety should be taught. It makes sense to teach the kids about all of the religions without indoctrinating them into believing in any of them, so that they can at least understand what the believers of each religion believe and how they think. It could be beneficial in helping them to interact with people who have differing religious views without being ignorant about what others believe.

• Like 1

I think teaching religion is a waste of taxpayer dollars. It could be an elective maybe, but not mandatory.

If it was taught from the historical critical perspective, & if it was elective not mandatory, & if other religions were included, I think that might actually qualify as education rather than indoctrination.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

well it depends, are they teaching the actual truth, the actual real facts about these mythologies? Esp xtianity and islam? Or is it a sugar coated pandering to those mythologies to try to spread their nonsense onto children?