Goodbye Jesus

The Works of the Flesh

mich

I was around a group of Christians recently and the topic of the works of the flesh, mentioned in Galatians, came up. Having already pondered on 'godliness' traits such as jealousy, wrath, swearing, etc.  that we are forbidden to do, yet the gotb  (god of the bible) does... I now began to decipher which of these 'works ' in this list the gotb is guilty of.  Just getting started. Would anyone like to contribute any examples/verses showing where he was guilty of things he told us NOT to do? 

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

adultery: 
fornication....
uncleanness 
lasciviousness - inclined to lustfulness
idolotry- worship of idols
witchcraft - the practice of magic, especially black magic; the use of spells and the invocation of spirits. -
hatred ...some are mentioned in Prov 6:16-19
variance ...from the beginning to the end, gotb always changes
emulations - effort to match or surpass a person or achievement, typically by imitation.- 

wrath ..many places 
strife - angry or bitter disagreement over fundamental issues - 
seditions- conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch.-
heresies- belief or opinion contrary to orthodox religious - Well, the fact that we are taught NOT do a huge list of things that
the gotb DOES , such as jealousy, swearing, the things in this list etc..
envyings 
murders ...  too many to mention
drunkenness ...seems like i ran across a reference in the OT about the gotb liking
wine, but haven't found it yet
revellings -to take great pleasure or delight- 

6 hours ago, mich said:
Just getting started. Would anyone like to contribute any examples/verses showing where he was guilty of things he told us NOT to do? 

Exodus 20:13: Thou shalt not kill.

Meanwhile 800 - 1600 years earlier...

Genesis 6:7: I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth

Deuteronomy 20:17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee (Although this is not god directly killing them)

Kills a man for touching the ark

Destroys Jericho killing many

Created the means by which million die every year.

Then of course the numerous versus where a spokseman for God has commanded the killing of woman and children - it cannot be said these were direct commands from god, but that he sanctioned them.

So thou shalt not kill would probably be the big one that he says don't do, but does with wanton abandon. I don't think he made any rules against being hypocritical though...

Thou shalt not bear false witness: Sends a lying spirit to the prophets

Just a few I can think of.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

An associate of Richard Dawkins actually wrote a book on the unpleasant aspects of God's moral character, though I don't know if it cites specific verses that he's in breach of. Still, I thought I'd mention it, in case someone will find it interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/God-Most-Unpleasant-Character-Fiction/dp/1454918322

It is true those that are guilty of such sins will not inherit the Kingdom of God, but neither will anyone else because the Kingdom of God is a myth meaning it does not exist. Fortunately, Hell doesn't exist either. 

So, sleep well because there is no such thing as an afterlife. B) When we die that's it, there is no sequel. :(

• Like 1

They never really define witchcraft. When we look at the odd behaviors of Jacob with the sheep breeding in front of various tree branches, that sure looks like witchcraft of a kind. Then there was Elijah with the stick in the water to float an ax head. Then Jesus rubbing mud in a guys eyes. Odd stuff that they really don't talk about much in church, but smacks of witchcraft methods instead of divine intervention.

• Like 1