Goodbye Jesus

How useless is prayer

Castiel233

How useless is prayer? Other than the Placebo Effect, it is completely and utterly useless. 

• Like 2

On 11/2/2017 at 11:33 PM, Geezer said:

Even Christians admit prayer is conditional. Ask anything in the name of Jesus & it will be granted IF it is within God's will. And God definitely answers every prayer. God will respond with a yes, or a no, or let me think about that & I'll get back to ya.

Christians know how to cover their butts. :moon:

Yes, but still useless all the same.  Goes to show it doesn't matter the result.

• Like 1

Think of how many millions of prayers, but then Hurricane Katrina, the Tsunami, Hurricane Irma, etc. just goes on and on. The same useless results. 

• Like 2

On 04/11/2017 at 5:48 PM, Deva said:

Think of how many millions of prayers, but then Hurricane Katrina, the Tsunami, Hurricane Irma, etc. just goes on and on. The same useless results. 

My Christian mother says those are not God's fault and he cannot be blamed as they are 'natural' disasters.

42 minutes ago, Anushka said:

My Christian mother says those are not God's fault and he cannot be blamed as they are 'natural' disasters.

Thus implying that nature is not under God's control. I guess that shouldn't be surprising, given the fact that even man-made iron chariots are too powerful for their God. ;)

On 11/4/2017 at 8:49 AM, Citsonga said:

How useless is prayer? Other than the Placebo Effect, it is completely and utterly useless. 

I prayed once for a pain my right side and it went away.  I did this with one of the televangelists.  So while I no longer believe in Christianity, I did receive benefit from prayer.  

2 minutes ago, ToddJ said:

I prayed once for a pain my right side and it went away.  I did this with one of the televangelists.  So while I no longer believe in Christianity, I did receive benefit from prayer.  

Spend some time studying and learn to distinguish among and between non-sequitur, coincidence, correlation and causation.

Your statement assumes causation, yet you provide no meaningful evidence to support this conclusion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anushka said:

Most likely, your mother also believes her god created nature and all the matter, energy and laws contained within it.  If so, you may wish to ask her how she reconciles the hypocrisy of holding those two beliefs at the same time.

9 hours ago, ToddJ said:

Post hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin: "after this, therefore because of this") is a logical fallacy that states "Since event Y followed event X, event Y must have been caused by event X."

To illustrate the point humorously:

• Like 2