Goodbye Jesus

How Long Have You Been Out Of Christianity?

DoubleDee

My 12th anniversary officially "out" was back in Feb. I've been realizing lately, though, what a lot of emotional baggage about the whole mess I'm still carrying around. (Subjects for another post, though).

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Out of Christianity since about 1978. After which I looked at a bunch of other religions (didn't join any). I went around being kind of vaguely new-age-ish 'spiritual' for a while before I gave that up as superstition.

Atheist as far as Christianity/Judaism/Islam goes... other forms of deity... dunno and don't much care. (Put me in the apathetic agnostic slot...)

Nivek, you were in the Assemblies of God? They're the ones who made those Hell Houses. Did you ever participate in one of those? If not, see the movie. Incredible.

I stopped at about 18, maybe 19. I remember asking my then-boyfriend if he was Christian, pressing him to say "yes". I felt bad about it later, but now I don't because he was an asshole and deserved it.

Sage,

Church was an AoG affiliate. Whole enchillada affiliation, salsa, fruits, nuts and speaking in tounges for holiness orders with fries and all..

Long on emotives and feelings, but frackin' short on hard core answers, evasive, and patently dishonest.

Thought enough of a young lady and her family that asked her hand in real_church_marriage. (long story, but after I cut off beard and long hair, alls I had was *freedom*, and damnned little of that left. was willing to give it for she) Got aced out of that by one of the busy_bodies, a newly divorced guy who was the unoffical church *counsellor*. Told she and family that I was *bad nooze and wouldn't stick around*.

Oh well, that shit long behind me, will say that the AoG and adherants are some of the kindest sheep I've ever met. Will simply lubba-luvvie you in to fold until you are in too deep to let go the communalness and companionship.

kevinL

I deconverted from Xianity on August 18, 2003. I was afraid of demons flying around my room at night before that. It took a while for that fear to go away. Now I can finially get some sleep. I calculated that May 14 this year will be the 1000th day since that. I'm sure I could figure out a way to come out to the Xian people I know by that day. :scratch:

there wasn't a definite "point" but I was on my way out the door about 5 years ago.

It's kinda like when people asked me how long I had been a christian. I don't know. It wasn't like there was a moment where BOOM and I all of the sudden changed what I believed. So in all honesty it has probably been several months, but who knows.

You deconverted!!!!???!!!

goddammit erin, you were our token cool christian. what are we gonna do now? gotta go find a new one. grrr.

I'll be one still, just for you. I think it still labels me as one on here anyway :P

I had doubts and questions building up for years, but I started seriously questioning my beliefs in 1999. I deconverted in early 2000.

About 4 or 5 years back in the real world for me.

And I'm yet another ex AG guy here. Nice to know I'm in good company here. In fact, my degree is from a private AG college, lol. I'll have to live with that the rest of my life, I guess!

Anybody remember the "Decade of Harvest"? I wonder what ever became of that, hehe.

deconverted about six months ago from nondenom chistianity, mainly because i was tired of being manipulated and being a complete assprude to everyone i knew. :Doh:

deconverted about six months ago from nondenom chistianity, mainly because i was tired of being manipulated and being a complete assprude to everyone i knew. :Doh:

Hey insomniac,

Welcome to Ex-C!

Glad you made your way out.

Taph

Like I've mentioned on this site before ...I 'received' the spirit alright...but it was dark sided :HaHa: Yeah....heard all about satan, guilt and all that shit!

Hee hee - they don't call it the 'Good News' for nothing!

"Guess what? You're evil and God's gonna kill you! Satan wants to eat your soul! Jebus is your only chance - bathe in his blood!" :eek::twitch:

:lmao:

Yep!...with a christian message of LOVE like that...you'd wonder why I didn't hang around?

(and bless the high priest of icons - there ain't an appropriate smillie for that emotion - insanity! Crazed wonderment!)

Bless all yea heathens...who have cast aside christian bullshit!

Hey insomniac,

Welcome to Ex-C!

Glad you made your way out.

Taph

Thanks, life is truly better :woohoo:

I've been calling myself ex-Catholic for about six weeks now. Certain people I dialogue with on CF, however, were expecting me to deconvert for quite some time though (said they could "hear it in my tone", and other such things).

I wish I knew the exact day it happened. Then I could celebrate.

According to the theory, all my life, despite the fact that I spent 30 years of it in church!!!

Last year in early April I crossed the final point of blaspheming the Holy Ghost. To put it in understandable language - my conscience broke. I was left with a void inside and a whole load of other horrid things which I wont describe right now.

According to the theory, because I did this I'm eternally lost, and as I can't do anything about it (how can you fix a broken conscience?), there's no point in going back to Christianity.

Jon.

According to the theory, all my life, despite the fact that I spent 30 years of it in church!!!

Last year in early April I crossed the final point of blaspheming the Holy Ghost. To put it in understandable language - my conscience broke. I was left with a void inside and a whole load of other horrid things which I wont describe right now.

According to the theory, because I did this I'm eternally lost, and as I can't do anything about it (how can you fix a broken conscience?), there's no point in going back to Christianity.

Jon.

Hi Jon,

Glad to see ya back. :) If I may ask, how exactly did you "blaspheme the Holy Ghost"?

Guest Powerup

I don't how long I have been out now, maybe about three and half years.

Money preaching opened my eyes, had many arguments with the pastor and I said Money as got nothing to do with it and my Pastor's reply was, money has everything to do ith it.

I left and never came back.

There is more to this story of course.

Also I am new here, so giday everyone.

Welcome Powerup.

To answer the original question: 12 years.

K

Guest Emerson

this will be my third year, I'm in my twenties and I'm out early. The first year was tough for me, it was tough to break away, I felt like I would have nothing to live for if I did break away. Now I realize that people worship God in different ways. If there is a God.

Since I am alive, I enjoy life and I've decided to do my best to live it well. Why are we born? I HAVE NO IDEA! But as along as I'm alive, I will live. It was very hard to let go of the hell concept, I do think there's an afterlife but I'm not sure what form it takes. I don't know about heaven, it sounds nice but who really knows? You know.

But the first year was so rough, I felt bitter, I felt betrayed, it was also around the fall when I deconverted and when christmas rolled around I hated hearing all about "joy to the world the lord has come, let earth receive her king...." its tough hearing that stuff when you're angry about religion.

Anyway I made it through and now I don't mind listening to christmas songs, hell I still listen to christian songs, I don't know i pretty much like the music and lyrics are nice. I'm sentimental! hehe =) I can read the bible and not take everything seriously. I'm getting into Buddhism, but I'm not going to become Buddhist. I'm learning diff cultures and religions, its all nice. I'm not in a box, I have various things I believe in. That's fine with me.

I feel free. I don't know how to describe it. Its different than what I felt in religion. They say that God "covers" the hole in your heart, but even when I "had" God I still felt a hole. That's when I realized that you needed to "cover" the hole yourself. We have different needs as humans, and God can't "cover" every need. sorry this was long! But I'm happy!

Guest starseyer

I think it was right around 2002/2003 when I realized I was an atheist. Have to check my journal for sure. I was about 22 years old.

Hi Jon,

Glad to see ya back. :) If I may ask, how exactly did you "blaspheme the Holy Ghost"?

I'd rather not say! Life's been a disappointment though - I expected a lot and ended up with nothing. Now it's time to move on.

Two years today!

:jesus:

Mine was a gradual deconversion and so I can't really pinpoint an exact date for when I "lost my faith." I can say, however, it was around the age of 20 that it happened and so I celebrate this momentous event along with my birthday. This September, it will be ten years!!! My wife and I plan on throwing a roast! It might be broadcast...

Almost a year, although my faith was dwindling for a year or two before that, too, till my own personal variety of christianity no longer resembled any kind of denomination.

For me, it has been about 5 months but I still have massive mental and emotional struggles. I knew in January that when the people of the church such as pastors, elders and group leaders could not answer any of my questions and even other Christian friends who were knowledgeable, and were even intimidated by my questions and what I do know, I knew I had reached a crossroads in my life. It is hard when my wife whom I love is a believer although I have noticed she is not all that happy with the people of the church, she may be fighting a similar battle of her own. The only one who is clueless about faith is my daughter of 11 years old. She is a believer and I will not try to dispell anything for awhile, at least until I quit having the big mental and emotional battles, and I can look her in the eye with a sure and steady demeanor and a clear head.

It gets better. I'm at ten years and looking back is just funny. I really wish my parents had been Atheist so I wouldn't have had to go through the deconversion process -- even if mine was relatively painless.

I don't how long I have been out now, maybe about three and half years.

Money preaching opened my eyes, had many arguments with the pastor and I said Money as got nothing to do with it and my Pastor's reply was, money has everything to do ith it.

I left and never came back.

There is more to this story of course.

Also I am new here, so giday everyone.

Welcome Powerup! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Two years today!

:jesus:

About 5 months,,,although I have sincerely tried to be a "good catholic" for 48 years. I've finally expressed my true feelings that it is all guilt producing nonsense.

I left Christianity a Little over a year now

-AND-

I have been an Atheist almost a year now....

still going strong

I officially delcared myself an athiest about 9 months ago. Prior to that I spent about 5 years seriously trying to find a way to reconcile Xtianity with my rather scientific background and mindset. I finally broke down and simply looked at the "evidence" over a period of a month or two. Then one day, driving down the road I had a "wave of realization". There is no god. I think I laughed outloud. It felt like what I imagened christians are supposed to feel like when the "get the spirit"

My regret is that I feel I wasted 5 years of my life trying to reconcile a myth. I resubscribed to Scientific American and quit giving a hoot what Xtians thought. It's been strain on my marriage, but inside I'm happier now than I ever was over the last five years. :woohoo:

Prior to that prior I just didn't care one way the other.