Goodbye Jesus

Are We Obsessed With Xianity?

Guest Emerson

Guest Emerson

well are we? we talk at an exxian mb, and most of our posties are about our life post-xianity, though i like it because there's lots of things to vent about here, but are we obsessed with xianity?

also why do we have cross icons on the forums? they bug me. :close::begood:

i think its all relative to how many posts you have to how long you been here, :grin:

after all it is a whole site dedicated to it.

Only speaking for myself, I don’t believe I am.

There are days when I’ll avoid everything to do with Christianity, even EXC forums, just because my life has more than that now, and I don’t want to deal with it every day, as I did before.

But, as you say, this is a great place to visit and talk to others in the same situation. Christianity, especially for an ex-christian, is the 800 pound gorilla in American culture and thus very difficult to shut out. It is of tremendous value to have a place like this to come and read & find acceptance.

The bible and christianity still have a great deal of interest to me as well, from historical, linguistic, and cultural viewpoints (much of my education is tied up in it), and even though I don’t believe in it anymore, I still study things tied to it.

If we define obsession as an unhealthy, all-consuming, time-draining interest, I think I can answer (gratefully) no.

Well many say Atheism is not a belief system, and I guess in the purest sense it isn't. I am sure there are millions of Atheists out there who simply don't believe, and live their lives without making too much noise, where as most of us who come to this site do have an agenda. We are obsessed with Christianity to disprove it. Speaking for myself, I love to reenfore in my head that we are correct in our non-belief. We are also obsessed with making sure our great country doesn't turn into a total theocracy. We hate the fact the fundies would love to take away much of our freedom and have as all abide by the laws of the lard. We are obessed with exposing examples of fundie extremism.

well are we? we talk at an exxian mb, and most of our posties are about our life post-xianity, though i like it because there's lots of things to vent about here, but are we obsessed with xianity?

Yeah, we're obsessed, but it's a healthy obsession, considering the positive impact this forum can have. We're obsessed with Xianity in the same way a cop is obsessed with crime - we both realize it exists, we realize how very dangerous it is, and we both want to encourage people away from it.

Yeah, the cross icons bug me, too, but what the hey. I don't really pay much mind to them. Why look at the cross icons when I've got such cool images in my posts? :HaHa:

. . .The bible and christianity still have a great deal of interest to me as well, from historical, linguistic, and cultural viewpoints . . . and even though I don’t believe in it anymore, I still study things tied to it.

. . . We are also obsessed with making sure our great country doesn't turn into a total theocracy. We hate the fact the fundies would love to take away much of our freedom and have as all abide by the laws of the lard. We are obessed with exposing examples of fundie extremism.

What they said. Pretty much sums it up for me, as well, especially xrayman - that's really why I came here in the first place. If all christians were of the liberal variety, it wouldn't bother me a bit if they mix their do-gooderism with some crazy theology (as long as they didn't try to impose it on me), but fundies – be they christian or islamic or whatever – are a dangerous plague.

Yes.. We are totally obsessed with xtanity and the fact that it ruined our lives for however long we remained with the church. And it still pisses us off that people waste their time, money, and mental capabilities worshipping a farse. It blinds them as to how shitty they can be to others who are unlike them. The farse that they hold to be true puts them on a self-rightous pedestal inadventenly making anyone else not like them worse off. They fail to see the implications of the evolution of religion and how unjust their religious predecesors were. They want to get their beliefs etched into the constitution and on the walls of court houses. They go to the funerals held by the families of dead veterans and say "God Hates Fags". Fuck them! Makes me feel like wanting to start an anti-christian crusade(it seriously pisses me off), but that would go against my own ethical system.

ARGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :vent:

Talking against xianity is what the forums for. but you're allowed to talk about other things I have seen posts on cat care, computer problems and all kinds of stuff on here. I am not really obscessed wouldn't that be like 24/7 thinking ooh I hate those christians lol no I am not like that.

At this point in my life I need to be here. It is theraputic for me, because I have been hurt by the religion, emotionally.

So venting about all my issues keeps me from being mired down in bitterness. :) )

I think some of us are and for good reason. Most of us grew up struggling with Christian beliefs feeling mind raped. So IMO it would be pretty natural for a person who felt this way to be obessed with what hurt them.

I don't think I'm obsessed, but hey, ya know, we never really see ourselves the way others do.

At this point in my life I need to be here. It is theraputic for me, because I have been hurt by the religion, emotionally.

So venting about all my issues keeps me from being mired down in bitterness. :) )

It helps us all. :grin:

I'm not obsessed. I like that fact that I've been freed from religion and I don't feel inclined to read about it as I did when I first deconverted. Yet, I still come here. I don't know why. Something to do? I like reading the opinions of other people who are like me in that they've escaped the mind control that affects the vast majority of the population. And even though I'm inclined to never think about religion again, I realize that I must remind myself just how damaging it really is. That reminds me how important it is to have at least some knowledge as to why christianity/religion is false and that I should pipe up in real life in order to let people know that rejection of religion is not rejection of being a decent human.

Yes.

Well, I know that I personally am still trying to work out some issues from Christianity. But I don't think that trying to solve problems is the same thing as being obessed. IMHO, being obsessed is when all you can think of is Christianity. If you are eating, breathing, and sleeping Christianity, then you are obsessed and probably need professional help.

Maybe, but for good reasons. Anybody who has been a Christian and walked away knows how damaging it can be. This site is dedicated to supporting those who are walking away now. Its not like this is an ex-fast food worker site or something like that, lol. Religion is a very major thing in peoples lives. The questions on where we came from and why we are here(humans) cross my mind almost daily. Besides, we all hear or see Christian related things almost daily, at least I do...and its good to be able to come hear and rant or get things off your chest.

SfS,

You said:

..."Its not like this is an ex-fast food worker site or something like that, lol. Religion is a very major thing in peoples lives. "...

I happen to be an 'ex-fast food worker', and I resent your statement. You don't believe that fast food is a major thing in people's lives?

:nono:

:wicked:

Oh, and Emerson, what do you think? Are we obsessed?

I think I might be a little (lot) sometimes (all the time), because Christianity took so much of my young life away. It made me say things I was supposed to say to those around me, and not what I wanted to say to them. It made me think/dress/cry/lie/confess/stink the way IT wanted me to. I had no choice. It was either Jesus and Him crucified, and all the wine and crackers and grape juice and croutons, and guilt and manipulation that goes with it; or Hell. Burning forever where the worm dieth not. Or, for my liberal brothers, being cast into the outer darkness.

Christianity soaked into every part of my daily life (I wanted to please The Lord, so I prayed and begged for Him to envelope me so!) and began to color everything to the way it wanted me to see the world: ... murder is OK sometimes...no sex without guilt...I know he's going to Hell from how he talks...sorry Uncle, you drink and God don't want you!... or "I know my father is in Hell forever"; said to me verbatim by a Pentecostal minister, because his dad played the saxophone in a jazz band, instead of going to "Church"...

...and a million more memories of people washed away, forgotten, hurt, degraded, denied, and ever so rarely lifted for a short moment of bliss before they are dropped to the cold hard ground for their God given Carpet Time. Or, for my liberal brothers, a moment of silent reflection and prayer.

I wouldn't say obsessed, though.

Obsessed with Christianity, yes and no.

This site is dedicated to the recovering apostate, so it it's inevitable to have a lot of discussion focused on Christianity. After all, ever now so often do we get new members that just escaped the dogmatic prison, and need to rant and discuss their problems with their dissipating faith. And secondly we get bombarded with Christians that wants to convert us or convince us that nothing is wrong with what we just left.

After a while on this site though, you start to calm down and the anger, frustration, irritation and obsession fades out. In this site you will see people transition from the just "fresh-out-sniffed-the-clean-air" to the "been-there-done-it-now-move-on" attitude.

Some members stay and become part of the furniture :) and some leave and move completely on. The ones that stay, stay because they love the gang here, and/or they feel they can help other people that just escaped.

Also consider, I spent 30 years of my 40 year life as devout fundamentalist Christian, so it will take time before I have managed to clear my head... if it ever will happen.

That reminds me how important it is to have at least some knowledge as to why christianity/religion is false and that I should pipe up in real life in order to let people know that rejection of religion is not rejection of being a decent human.

Amen sister............Religous idiots automatically think lack of religion means lack of decency. How wrong that is, in fact more often I find the oppistie to be true. Religion teaches intollerance and discrimination.

Emerson, I don't think we are obessed with xtianity. I think we are here to vent and connect with people who are open-minded enough to realize that this brand of belief isn't for us. Yes, we have a huge attraction to this belief system, but we are attracted to it for the opposite reasons. We see the tyrannical nature in it's super god, and we feel obliged by all that is reason and mental freedom to explain to the world that this shouldn't be. Each of us have our own personal disattachement and attachement to this brand of belief, but I don't think we can called obessive, yet.

see what you made me do, i wrote with capital letters. i hate conformity.

SfS,

You said:

..."Its not like this is an ex-fast food worker site or something like that, lol. Religion is a very major thing in peoples lives. "...

I happen to be an 'ex-fast food worker', and I resent your statement. You don't believe that fast food is a major thing in people's lives?

:nono:

:wicked:

Haha...I dont think I know anybody that isnt an ex-fast-food worker. I dont ever catch myself asking "I wonder what life would be like now if I had just mastered the deep fryer." :HaHa:

Guest Faery

Instead of crosses, we should have pentagrams or something else entirely. I spent years looking at stupid crosses. We should be spared of that fate here. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.