Goodbye Jesus

Here Is Why I Don't Believe

Kuroikaze

Well, I had been throwning around the idea of writing something like this for a while, its still a rought draft, so I'm sure there are some grammer errors and what not, but I really wanted to post this up.

Anyway, here it is:

I am not a Christian. Many people are offended when I say this, quite a few even think that because I am not a believer that I must be a horrible and immoral person. Truly, I am tired of the arguments; I often avoid speaking about my beliefs because I feel like I am constantly on the defensive. Mostly, I’m tired of having judgments and evangelism foisted upon me constantly by all the “well intentioned” Christians out there. I’m sure many of these people think they are helping me by trying to shove their ideas onto me, but it’s generally not welcome.

Part of the problem is that most Christians think that I simply haven’t really analyzed the teachings of the Christian faith, and I simply don’t understand what it’s all about. Obviously if I really understood how perfect and wonderful the Christian religion is I would have joined by now right?

Now, I could engage all Christians in endless debates about history, philosophy, and biblical theology, but ultimately I have found these fairly useless. Most Christians, fundamentalists most of all, are not particularly swayed by reason. They, like most people, have chosen belief on the basis of emotion.

Now, emotion is certainly not a bad thing. Therefore, this being said, I would like to tell a story, if you will indulge me, which illustrates the emotional as well as philosophical reasons I cannot and will not ever again accept the Christian religion as the true faith.

Ok, to get the full effect you must imagine yourself as the main character of this story, if it helps close your eyes and imagine with me.

You are a young woman of about eighteen living in a small Bronze Age village, perhaps two thousand people live there, it is large enough that a city wall was built to protect you from attack, but mostly it just keeps thieves and bandits out.

You married four years ago when you were fourteen, it was a good marriage that your parents arranged, and you married well as your husband is a man of prominence in your village. He is well known as a hunter, and on occasion has been called on to defend the village from bandits. You were a bit worried when you first got married, but your husband has been a good man and has provided for you and the children. Ah yes, I haven’t mentioned the children yet, you have two so far, a three year old girl and a six month old son.

Your husband was gone for three days on a hunt, but returned this morning; you were happy to see him and fixed a large meal out of some of the food he brought back. After you have eaten he goes to talk to some friends about some of the “adventures” he had on his hunt and tells you he will be back later. You gather up your youngest child who is now awake to breast feed him, and your oldest is playing just outside the hut with a doll you made for her out of the remnants of the last dress you made.

As you are sitting here in your quite little life suddenly a shout goes up from a guard on the walls, your husband as well as a few other men run to see what the trouble is, at first you think nothing of it, but eventually you put down your child and walk outside to see what is going on. You find that the men are all running gathering weapons and fortifying the wall, when you ask what is going on you are told that a large armed force is approaching from the distance. You, frightened but you husband comes and tell you that everything will be ok and tells you to take shelter in the hut and keep their children safe.

Within a few hours the force has arrived, they outnumber the fighting men in the village by 5 to 1 and quickly surround the wall. Your village chief asks to speak to the army’s leader to find a way to end this peacefully, but the commander sneers at him and says that he will not deal with infidels, and that their god has given this land to them so they will take and kill all the inhabitance. With that they begin the attack, the villagers hold them for most of the day, but the fighting is harsh, you keep your children in the safety of you hut and pray to your particular god that your husband will be alright.

You hear some people running by mention something about your husband being injured and panic; you leave your children sleeping and go to check if he is safe. Unfortunately, by the time you find him amongst the injured you find him dead. You fall to your knees weeping, but find you have no time to cry because you can see that the army has broken through the front gates. You get up and run in fear, you have to save your children, as you run you see that the army is merciless and unfeeling, the are slaughtering everyone, the old, the young, women, children, they just kill indiscriminately, they are also setting fire to the houses. You weep even more, as you see friends and loved ones killed in front of your eyes, but you keep running, hopping to get to your children and make your escape.

You step into your hut breathless and start to gather up your children, but before you have a chance to leave a soldier steps in, he has the eyes of a fanatic. You hold your son in your arms and grip the hand of your daughter, and beg the man to let you go, but he just curses you and swings his sword at the baby you hold. You instinctually turn to protect your son and the sword cuts into your shoulder. You cry in pain and fall to the floor, but the man just laughs and you and drive the point of his sword through your abdomen. The sword come through you and stabs into your son as well. You cry as you watch him die and feel your own blood running out of your body.

The man just laughs again and turns towards your daughter. “NO, Please!” you try to yell, but blood comes out of your mouth instead. In the back of your mind you hope that they will only take her captive and turn her into a concubine in a few years, but your hopes are in vain, you watch in horror as the soldier cuts off your Childs head and it falls in front of you with a sickening sound. You would cry, but by now you are loosing conciseness, you vaguely smell smoke as they set your hut on fire and then finally, you die from the blood loss.

Now, if you have any humanity in you at all, then this story should horrify you. You may well ask yourself, what horrible inhuman group of people would do such a thing, what kind of tyrant of a god do they worship who would command such horrible atrocities be committed?

The god who ordered this? His name is none other that Yahweh….

11:6 And the LORD said unto Joshua, Be not afraid because of them: for to morrow about this time will I deliver them up all slain before Israel: thou shalt hough their horses, and burn their chariots with fire (11:6-17)

11:7 So Joshua came, and all the people of war with him, against them by the waters of Merom suddenly; and they fell upon them. 11:8 And the LORD delivered them into the hand of Israel, who smote them, and chased them unto great Zidon, and unto Misrephothmaim, and unto the valley of Mizpeh eastward; and they smote them, until they left them none remaining.

8:22 And the other issued out of the city against them; so they were in the midst of Israel, some on this side, and some on that side: and they smote them, so that they let none of them remain or escape.

8:23 And the king of Ai they took alive, and brought him to Joshua. 8:24 And it came to pass, when Israel had made an end of slaying all the inhabitants of Ai in the field, in the wilderness wherein they chased them, and when they were all fallen on the edge of the sword, until they were consumed, that all the Israelites returned unto Ai, and smote it with the edge of the sword. 8:25 And so it was, that all that fell that day, both of men and women, were twelve thousand, even all the men of Ai. 8:26 For Joshua drew not his hand back, wherewith he stretched out the spear, until he had utterly destroyed all the inhabitants of Ai.

Do you still think the god of the bible is worthy of worship? If so….what the hell is wrong with you?

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Kuroikaze

• Mythra

• Lycorth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That in a nutshell is one of the reasons I became a heretic. That kind of abject cruelty. It really sickened me to see some of the stuff in the Christian bible. I can't even express how patently unfair that kind of collective punishment is!

Awesome post.

-Seth

Here is what a christian would say:

Well obviously God used his divine justice on the inhabitance because they must have done something wrong that wasn't just told in the story. Who are we to question the actions of God?

It's kinda sad that they say this is a book of morals when this story, which was very well written Kuro, there are no moral value or lessons learned from this story expect obey God even in doing evil actions.

Ok, to get the full effect you must imagine yourself as the main character of this story, if it helps close your eyes and imagine with me.

I did at this point, and missed the whole story. Couldn't read anything. :shrug: ... ... :grin:

Okay, I opened my eyes again, and read the story... eek... I think I should have kept them closed. That's a sad story. :(

"But glory to our goory Gawd, we have spilled lots of blood today!"

And you're right, how can someone workship this God???

A well written post.

Kuroikaze,

A well written post indeed. Moving and eloquent.

This working of the OT story makes something very clear. The god described in the bible is unworthy of any decent person's worship, respect, or honor.

I did at this point, and missed the whole story. Couldn't read anything. :shrug: ... ... :grin:

Okay, I opened my eyes again, and read the story... eek... I think I should have kept them closed. That's a sad story. :(

"But glory to our goory Gawd, we have spilled lots of blood today!"

And you're right, how can someone workship this God???

haha, your right, I was writting that off the cuff last night and didn't even realize....that'll teach me to post without proof reading :grin:

anyway...anyone else notice the decided lack of christian response? Shouldn't their holy spook sense alert them to my blasphamy so they can come a tell me how wrong I am?

Amazing story, Kuroikaze. Or I should say, gruesome retelling of the story that's there in black and white in the OT.

I don't see how any right-thinking and right feeling person can justify the stuff that the Lord is said to have ordered the Hebrews to do. To Ai and in many other places.

A pedantic point: in the bronze age in Palestine organized agriculture was well established - that's what enabled the inhabitants to amass wealth, unlike hunting. I doubt the hebrews, if they actually existed as a nation back then, would have bothered to invade the villages of hunters and gatherers - no fixed assets to plunder!

OK, I'll cut the pedantry.

Thanks so much for focusing us on what's actually in that text.

There's a novel by George Steiner, I forget the title now, when Mossad captures Hitler in the Amazon jungle and the Israelis put him on trial. Hitler's defense is, we only did what you did. We just did the same things you did to the Canaanites. (Mine is the eleventh post - isn't ten the point at which any thread threatens to pick up a reference to Nazis?)

When I started reading Christian history, I was horrified reading some of the things that has been done in the Bible's name.

These wars were never about God. They were about power and it's still that way today. God just makes a convenient cover and christianity maked a convenient excuse.

When I started reading Christian history, I was horrified reading some of the things that has been done in the Bible's name.

These wars were never about God. They were about power and it's still that way today. God just makes a convenient cover and christianity maked a convenient excuse.

I agree completly, I'm not sure if there is a god out there but if there is, and he is a personal god, I'm sure he is far more offended by the beliefs that the avarage fundamentalist christian holds about him than he is by an athiest who honestly doubts his existance.

One of my favorite quotes is from Thomas Paine when he says that the bible is a blasphamous book.

nice kuro nice!!!

i'd like to see you do an ongoing series where you take stories from the bible and write about em like you did here.

That's not really a reason to "not believe" though, more like a good reason to "not support" this crappy fake god.

I agree with nick. Really, there ARE christians who don't take the mythology of the bible seriously.

Your story illustrated the barbarity of a lot of people back then, Kuriokaze, though. Well done on that aspect.

• 2 weeks later...

Great post!

Of all of the stories I read or have been taught from the Bible, I have never read one where the story was told from the 'other' point of view.

It makes me wonder about other things you could write from that perspective.

Nick is right though, when he points out that 'that' God's seeming faults are no reason to disbelieve.

One can be a sadistic prick and still be God.

But pointing out what happened in the Bible Stories from the 'other' point of view might at least show a few Christians a different way of seeing the Bible, so at least they can make a more informed decision about their faith.

:wicked:

You brought out the humanity of the people involved very well and raised feelings of compassion absent from the divinely sanctioned genocide. Such a "god" is not worthy of love. This kind of arrogance towards other people that would deny people of their humanity has not gone away - I experience it in the demonisation of anything which is not xtian, the dropping of bombs on innocent people, the looking down on people who are not from the same ethnic background. What makes the biblical accounts so appalling is that God is portrayed as the monster who incites people to do such things.

Do you still think the god of the bible is worthy of worship? If so….what the hell is wrong with you?

I've asked the same thing of some people and the only answer I've got was something like

"our ways are not his ways". I usually reply that if our way was the same, then we would be

in prison.

Any christians going to respond to Kuro? :scratch:

Doesn't look like it, funny how christians play the faith or emotion card so easily in a debate, but won't respond to emotion when presented by us.

I've asked the same thing of some people and the only answer I've got was something like

"our ways are not his ways". I usually reply that if our way was the same, then we would be

in prison.

You know, you could turn this into a great comeback line.....e.g.:

"Our ways are not his ways....."

"Yeah, well you could say that about Jeffrey Dahmer, but I'm not going to

go off and worship Jeffrey Dahmer, either...."

Doesn't look like it, funny how christians play the faith or emotion card so easily in a debate, but won't respond to emotion when presented by us.

They're probably just avoiding this thread because they think you're

possessd with a demon or something..... :shrug:

Funny you should mention Dahmer. Isn't it interesting that Jesus wanted people to eat his flesh

and drink his blood? Creepy huh? Jesus Dahmer or Dahmer Christ. :HaHa:

Kuro..this had me absolutely transfixed. You are an excellent writer. I would love to see more of these from the other point of view.

And..awesome point made. Now..if a christian would simply respond?

Wow. How powerful was that? Nice job, Kuroikaze.

"And the LORD delivered them into the hands of the Israelites." Such a simple little statement.

Thanks for providing a little clearer illustration of what it may have been like.

That's it. Now FOR SURE I'm done worshipping this Yah-way character.

Funny you should mention Dahmer. Isn't it interesting that Jesus wanted people to eat his flesh

and drink his blood? Creepy huh? Jesus Dahmer or Dahmer Christ. :HaHa:

Good one, Anakin! :grin:

Well done, Kuro! Fitting example of the "high morality"of the Holah Babble™ :Wendywhatever:

They're probably just avoiding this thread because they think you're

possessd with a demon or something..... :shrug:

I have to laugh at this, because I was posting on a general topic forum the other day, on topic related to homosexuality and a christian actually implied that I was possesed, or worshiping satan or something along those line...

I didn't control my temper very well, after that, so I'm sure that he is certain I am....I mean, obviously I woudn't get mad at being called demon possed unless I actually WAS, right? .....Yeah

oh, and thanks for the praise everyone...I really ought to write more, I do enjoy it.

Sorry Kuro, no takers. I guess biblical genocide is easy to ignore and too hard to defend. :shrug:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.