Goodbye Jesus

God, Jesus Or Man: Who Led You Away?

Guest Istillbelieve

Guest Istillbelieve

The things I’ve read on this web site are a sad commentary on Christianity indeed. But the truth is what I’ve read about is people who have been disappointed by other people. Religion – what it is: It’s just man’s attempt at trying to figure out what God wants from them. Whether you’ve been a Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, Catholic, or other, you’ve been disappointed by someone human - not God and Jesus.

So you think you’ve been let down by God and Jesus too? Well God is not our Genie in Heaven, He’s our Father in Heaven. He has given us free will to mess up our lives all on our own. Thing is . . . He’s still there for us . . . And Jesus died for us and is our Mediator – our Bridge to Heaven. They care, They love and They wait for all of us to turn to Them, to trust Them . . .

Why have you abandoned trying to find the truth? So you’ve got doubts. So do we all. No one is 100 percent sure of Heaven unless they’ve died and been there and come back – which some claim they have. Why do you abandon the only hope we have for eternity? Are you 100 percent sure it isn’t true? If you are only 1 percent sure that their might be a possibility of what the Bible promises then why wouldn’t you hold on to that 1 percent?

There is freedom with Christ . . . I live the way I choose with my eye on the cross. I’m not bound by my sins or by my faith . . . I have freedom to make mistakes, to learn, to try to do better. Christ paid for my mistakes – why would I want to be bound again?

You’re either a slave to sin or a slave to Jesus. I pick Jesus. Without Jesus I have the “freedom” to live carelessly until I die. O.k. that is a freedom – nothing I want though. I want there to be more . . . if there is a chance that there is . . . I choose to go the “Way” the Bible directs . . . Is there any other “Way”? Well . . . not that I’m aware of . . . but who knows . . . Jesus points to a specific gate – I choose to go through that gate . . . I’m a fool? Maybe . . . but I’m happy . . . I’m living a good life that I’m proud of . . . I care about people and their happiness . . . I’m raising my daughter in a way that I believe will help her to be happy. My husband is a good man. Works hard, plays hard, is a good father, good husband . . . Are all Christians so lucky? No. But we are.

How sad that someone who’s lost their faith has decided to persuade others away from their relationship with Christ.

Being a Christian is not a religion – it’s a relationship with God and Jesus. Do you really want to turn your back on that? On them? Man messes things up – Christians mess things up – over and over they do. Why blame God and Jesus for our mistakes – others mistakes?

Give up on being a Presbyterian. Give up on being a Baptist. Give up on being a Catholic, a Methodist & a Wesleyan. Learn to think for yourselves -- yes. But don’t give up on seeking for truth -- And I still believe we can find the truth in God’s Word – it’s your benefit to figure out what that Word is by searching and praying.

I still believe :grin:

Goodbye Jesus
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Golden Meadows

• Checkmate

• Vigile

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh lordy, another one who thinks that we left because humans disappointed us or because God let us down.

Have you even taken the time to read our testimonies?

I left Christianity for purely intellectual reasons. It's that simple. I don't think things happened the way it is described in the Bible. Eternal punishment for temporal sin is unjust. Every other religion and faith has people as devoted or even more devoted than Christians, and Christianity says that being born in the wrong country or "believing" the wrong thing gets you sent to hell. Blood atonement just doesn't make sense. Similar themes arise in every religion and I have studied them all (I have a degree in comparitive religion).

If God exists, God is not exclusive to Christianity. That much is obvoius to me. It has nothing to do with how other Christians treated me. In fact, I have fond memories of my time in the church and I miss the illusion that God is my best friend. I had a relationship, but it was all in my mind and it can be explained through basic sociology and psychology.

P.S. I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. I really do understand where you're coming from... five years ago, if I had known about this site, I would typed nearly the exact same thing you did. You must go to a similar denomination as I did.

I hope you take the time to read through our testimonies a little more closely and see why your arguments are ineffective for us.

istillbelieve - you've interpreted it all wrong. People weren' the whole source of disappointment (though they often played a part), but religion, the bible, and god were all important too. It was really many years of devoted bible study that lead me away. That and many unanswered prayers. (Yeah, I know. 'God always answers prayer, but sometimes the answer is no.' What a handy rationalization.) Anyhow, the more I read the bible, the more contraditions and nonsense I found. How can I devote my life to something that is just plain factually incorrect?

Why have you abandoned trying to find the truth?

I didn't. It is my search for truth that lead me away from xtianity.

There is freedom with Christ

What freedom? To cry every night for countless lost souls? To never accept yourself as anything more than slime? To hide in the church from the whole big, fascinating, wonderful world? To worship the stalker god who loves you so much he will cast you into the fires of hell if you don't love him back?

You’re either a slave to sin or a slave to Jesus.

Not true at all. I actually have higher ethical standards than most of the xtians I know. What does it say about your basic character if you need to threat of eternal damnation to keep you from screwing over your neighbor? That a thing is the right thing is sufficient reason for doing it.

Being a Christian is not a religion – it’s a relationship with God and Jesus.

Whatever. A relationship with fictional characters is not a reasonable engagement for a rational person.

Learn to think for yourselves

That's what I'm doing! And loving it!

It was giving up religion that gave me a feeling of freedom and joy. Admitting that I was not a spiritual person allowed me to accept myself as I am, and to be open to the REAL truth.

Moved to the Lion's Den section. Is not supposed to be in Arena.

He's one of those "It's not a religion, it's a relationship" fundies. Those are the worst. They think their beliefs are so superior to those of others that they can't possibly classify them as religious.

So you think you’ve been let down by God and Jesus too? Well God is not our Genie in Heaven, He’s our Father in Heaven. He has given us free will to mess up our lives all on our own. Thing is . . . He’s still there for us . . . And Jesus died for us and is our Mediator – our Bridge to Heaven. They care, They love and They wait for all of us to turn to Them, to trust Them . . .

God and Jesus aren't Genies!!!!! :twitch: OMGWTF that's why I never got that car that wanted or that hooker that I kept praying for. I left Christianity for the wrong reasons!!!!! I'm coming back Jeezus!!!!!!!!! You saved my soul Istillbelieve. Gud Bless

:woohoo:

/me cracks his knuckles...

As a Christian-turned-Atheist my rebuttal is as follows:

The things I’ve read on this web site are a sad commentary on Christianity indeed. But the truth is what I’ve read about is people who have been disappointed by other people. Religion – what it is: It’s just man’s attempt at trying to figure out what God wants from them. Whether you’ve been a Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist, Catholic, or other, you’ve been disappointed by someone human - not God and Jesus.

I absolutely agree with you that I was disappointed by humans regarding my Christian beliefs. However, I suspect you may not have thought this through, and I will continue where you parted.

It has only been humans, and no deity, that have expounded the Christian doctrine upon myself. Being now void of religious belief, there is only evidence ad nauseum that points to humans throughout history carrying out the actions that they believed.

There exists no evidence to support that any deity has ever carried out an action of a particular religious doctrine, save for humans believing so, and such belief being founded in the desire that such is so.

At one point near the beginning of my apostasy I felt let down by your God. Upon more investigation, the foundation of my beliefs rested upon the desire that they be as other humans have shown me. I desired that your God existed.

As I am now without desire that any part of the Christian doctrine be true, good, just, and/or benevolent, I am unable to beleive any of it is so, and thus am left to pointedly ask you to -

1. Show me your Heaven

2. Show me your God

3. Show me your Jesus Christ

Why have you abandoned trying to find the truth? So you’ve got doubts. So do we all. No one is 100 percent sure of Heaven unless they’ve died and been there and come back – which some claim they have. Why do you abandon the only hope we have for eternity? Are you 100 percent sure it isn’t true? If you are only 1 percent sure that their might be a possibility of what the Bible promises then why wouldn’t you hold on to that 1 percent?

Oh, how you accuse. Quite the opposite of abandoning truth; it was not until I distinctly sought truth did I become apostate. Anything that is indeed true will hold true throught any onslaught of questioning by a mere human such as myself.

You accuse me of hope. Hope is an expensive commodity and I choose not to rely upon it.

I cannot stake my very existance on just 1% of what the bible promises as the other 99% is the most filthy and disgusting work of human depravity that mankind has ever known.

There is freedom with Christ . . . I live the way I choose with my eye on the cross. I’m not bound by my sins or by my faith . . . I have freedom to make mistakes, to learn, to try to do better. Christ paid for my mistakes – why would I want to be bound again?

Define freedom. Now, likewise, what does 'freedom from christianity' mean to you?

You’re either a slave to sin or a slave to Jesus. I pick Jesus. Without Jesus I have the “freedom” to live carelessly until I die. O.k. that is a freedom – nothing I want though. I want there to be more . . . if there is a chance that there is . . . I choose to go the “Way” the Bible directs . . . Is there any other “Way”? Well . . . not that I’m aware of . . . but who knows . . . Jesus points to a specific gate – I choose to go through that gate . . . I’m a fool? Maybe . . . but I’m happy . . . I’m living a good life that I’m proud of . . . I care about people and their happiness . . . I’m raising my daughter in a way that I believe will help her to be happy. My husband is a good man. Works hard, plays hard, is a good father, good husband . . . Are all Christians so lucky? No. But we are.

Aside from your illogical bifurcation falacy, it is this "slave" thing in which I wholeheartedly reject, and if both sin and Jesus are connected with it, I reject them as well without a second thought.

How sad that someone who’s lost their faith has decided to persuade others away from their relationship with Christ.

Playing the Member-of-a-Victim-Class does not work with me. Sorry.

Being a Christian is not a religion – it’s a relationship with God and Jesus. Do you really want to turn your back on that? On them? Man messes things up – Christians mess things up – over and over they do. Why blame God and Jesus for our mistakes – others mistakes?

I do not blame your God as it is not possible for me to do so -- your god is a myth.

Give up on being a Presbyterian. Give up on being a Baptist. Give up on being a Catholic, a Methodist & a Wesleyan. Learn to think for yourselves -- yes. But don’t give up on seeking for truth -- And I still believe we can find the truth in God’s Word – it’s your benefit to figure out what that Word is by searching and praying.

Define truth. It appears your truth is based upon your desire, and what you desire is what you have been told to believe.

I am no longer able to.

Omigod, this is like the 600th fucking time I've heard this shit on this site. I didn't dump Christianity because some Christian bozo fucked up. I dumped it because it makes no sense.

Listen, Istillbelieve, you think you're pure and all the people in those denominations you mention are not pure? Your set of beliefs is just going to be about the three-thousandth sect invented since the Reformation. So give it up.

I was actually attending church and reading my Bible while being a praise band leader. I was searching for the truth. I began to realize I was not finding it in church. So, I quit church but still got together with other believers in smaller settings. I read the Bible ardently, without the doctrine being taught from the pulpit every Sunday. I asked God and the Holy Spirit to guide me to God and the Truth of how to believe and what to believe. And then, I slowly deconverted. The Bible started contradicting itself, and God never revealed himself to me. I became learned in the scientific method and psychology which held many more answers for why people do things than the Bible's claim of "sin". The Bible didn't make sense in itself. It had, at one point, but I believe I grew out of it.

I left for the love of truth. It wasn't because of what believers did or didn't do, though I wasn't always treated nicely. It wasn't because there are bad things in the world. I just left because it wasn't true.

No, your god let us down. He said he'd answer all our prayers when we pray in his name. How many of us have asked for loved ones to be healed, or for safety when danger pops up, like an accident - only to experience death and loss? No, your jerkoff god let us down, and he is dismissed from our service.

If they love us sooo much, then why not do away with the devil and sin, thereby destroying that which tempts us? Or at least show up regularly to help reinforce our faith? Why does an all-good and all-loving and all-powerful god shirk his moral obligation to protect us?

Answer: he doesn't exist.

There isn't even a %1 chance the Babble™ is true. Only an idiot for a god would choose so faulty a vessel as human language and literature to convey a suppsedly important message.

And abandoning Xianity doesn't mean we are apathetic. I still seek the truth - I know however that it is not found in the hackneyed, plagarized, and cruel tenets of Xianity.

Why do you abandon truth by blindly believing in your god and not exploring other paths?

You are bound by your faith, otherwise you will burn in Hell™. The Gospels™ make this sick idea clear. John 3:16, the fundies' favorite verse, implies it right there. You are bound to serve and slave to Jeezus™ and so help you if you fail. That's not freedom - and if Christ™ paid for your mistakes, how can you still be able to make them? If Christ's™ sacrifice was worth anything, there'd be no need for Xianity, as sin would indeed be conquered. But if we can still sin, then clearly the "sacrifice" of Jeezus™ failed.

You’re either a slave to sin or a slave to Jesus. blah blah blah blah blah....

Or you're a slave to nothing, when you realize neither has any power, since both are made-up lies.

Actually, it's wonderful. The more people who are freed from this poison, the better. The day the last church loses its last parishoner will be a beautiful day for mankind.

What is sad is rather how people like you still hold to an expired deathcult 2000 years past its due date.

Xianity is a religion - don't give me that. That's one of the dumbest things you emasculated fundies can say. Your gods do not exist, however I believe there are evil spirits who use those names to fuck with people's heads, inspiring them with fanaticism or terror or whatever. Unless you can prove otherwise, my opinion of your (mythical) dead Jew on a stick still stands. He is pure evil.

Yes, it is to our benefit to read the Babble™ - because then we will see how sick it really is. By reading each verse of Yahooweh™-ordained rape and genocide, each verse of Jeezus™ blackmailing us with threats of Hell™, each verse of Paul chirping about being a debased slave to his god, we can see the evil and horror that is Abrahamic religion.

And I do not.

No, the reason why I'm not a christian is because it ISN'T true. THIS is the fact that I have discovered in my search for truth. It doesn't mean I've abandoned trying to find the truth. Quite the opposite.

There it is. Me and you, nick.

That's what led me away enabled me to escape.

I found out christianity quite simply is not true. The gospel story is not worth making a religion over. To worship a legendary character is - well - just plain stooopid.

Now, let's take odds on whether istillbelieve will ever be back.

I'm giving 5 to 3 odds that she's a one-post wonder who thinks all she has to do is some quick typing and her LORD AND SAVIOR will take over and quickeneth the hearts of the apostates, turning us once again to the glorious truth of GOD and his marvelous plan of salvation and eternal life.

:jerkit:

Well God is not our Genie in Heaven, He’s our Father in Heaven.

Actually, according to Jesus he is a genie. Jesus goes on about "Ask in my name and you'll receive it" or some variant. Nothing at all about "if it be god's will," just pray and it will happen.

That's understable, though. Jesus lied about many other things as well.

Yeah, false dilemmas didn't work for C.S. Lewis and they won't work for you.

Er.... I don't re-read my Harry Potter books as much as I used to. Does that mean I'm falling away from the wizarding community and severely at risk for becoming a muggle?

The bible is a work of mythological fiction. It has dragons, talking snakes, talking donkeys, baby-killing, and incest (what fun!).

Your entire religion is based on a mythological tale. You are......the ultimate trekkie!

And because it looks better to have as many people as possible at the get togethers in the church basement, and so you feel less pathetic choking down cold casserole, YOU come HERE of all places to try and get us to join in the "fun".

Sorry, my idea of fun is..........being glad I'm NOT you!

:lol::party::lol::dance::woohoo::beer::58::kiss:

Actually, according to Jesus he is a genie. Jesus goes on about "Ask in my name and you'll receive it" or some variant. Nothing at all about "if it be god's will," just pray and it will happen.

Actually, in the Lard's Prayer™, Jeezus™ teaches us poor, dumb sheep to pray: "Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven™" - so that makes Jeezus™, as you said, a liar. He said both that whatever we ask for in his name we'll get and also that it is the Lard's will which will be done when we pray, not ours.

Ah, the wonderfully inconsistent Word of Gawd :jerkit:

Are you 100 percent sure it isn’t true? If you are only 1 percent sure that their might be a possibility of what the Bible promises then why wouldn’t you hold on to that 1 percent?

It's called intellectual integrity. No bribe is worth sacrificing the right to think for myself.

You have hope of a beautiful eternity staring into the face of Jesus. But it's a false hope. Based, not on the word of a man who was crucified and came back from the dead. But on the fantastical writings of ancient authors who were steeped in superstitious nonsense.

Who here, besides me, believes that Amy Marie has called for back-up? This thread sounds PRECISELY like her "Gripe against Jesus" thread. Another deluded cretin (Xian) who believes we're mad at their mythological beings.

Anyway, I'm not wasting my breath boxing with shadows. Until this poster returns and demonstrates a sincere desire to dialogue, and not preach nonsense, then THIS is all they get/deserve.....

Actually, in the Lard's Prayer™, Jeezus™ teaches us poor, dumb sheep to pray: "Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven™" - so that makes Jeezus™, as you said, a liar. He said both that whatever we ask for in his name we'll get and also that it is the Lard's will which will be done when we pray, not ours.

Oh, *man*! And that was the first thing I memorized when I was a True Christian™ kid! Then is Hiz will that when I pray for something I git it? :twitch:

Oh, *man*! And that was the first thing I memorized when I was a True Christian™ kid! Then is Hiz will that when I pray for something I git it? :twitch:

:HaHa:

Well, according to the Lard Jeezus™, whatever we ask for in his name, we will get *without excuse*, yet the proper way to pray is to ask for the Farter's will to be done.

The only thing that makes sense about Xianity is that it is just riddled with contradictions.

Golly gee, how could we turn our backs on that? :Wendywhatever:

Truer words were never spoken.

So you think you’ve been let down by God and Jesus too?

Uh, no, not really.

Well God is not our Genie in Heaven, He’s our Father in Heaven. He has given us free will to mess up our lives all on our own. Thing is . . . He’s still there for us . . . And Jesus died for us and is our Mediator – our Bridge to Heaven. They care, They love and They wait for all of us to turn to Them, to trust Them . . .

Cool.

Who says I abandoned it? Who says I ever stopped? And no, I wouldn't. You just said God gave us freewill. Then I trust my God and his gift of Freewill over religious dogma. I will never return to christianity and it's inconsistant lies and spoon fed misery. As you said above, it's been nothing but dissapointment and man-made hype.

Cool. Then I have nothing to worry about either.

You’re either a slave to sin or a slave to Jesus.

I am a slave to neither. I follow no god or saviour that would ever consider me a "slave."

I pick Jesus. Without Jesus I have the “freedom” to live carelessly until I die. O.k. that is a freedom – nothing I want though. I want there to be more . . . if there is a chance that there is . . . I choose to go the “Way” the Bible directs . . . Is there any other “Way”? Well . . . not that I’m aware of . . . but who knows . . .

I find it interesting that you put "freedom" in quotes. Like you don't believe you really have freedom. And that's the trap of Christianity. If you were to be anything other than christian and follow the outlined "rules" in the Bible, you would be cast into Hell to burn for eternity. This isn't really "Freewill," now is it? The christian god does not give freewill. He gives you the choice to live and die in fear for fucking up and angering him.

And of course there are other ways. There are lots of religions in the world. There are lots of examples of people living their own ways on this board. Every single person on the planet has their own "way" of living. Your path in christianity isn't going to be the same as another christian's, is it? You both follow the same guidelines, but your not exactly the same in your views and outlooks within the religion.

This is one of the things that led me to deconversion. An intelligent, omnipotent, and loving God would not have made us all different if he wanted us all to be the same. If this was true...well, this is probably the most ludicrious way to go about attaining that goal, and well, I really can't really believe in a god that is that much of a dumbass.

Jesus points to a specific gate – I choose to go through that gate . . . I’m a fool? Maybe . . . but I’m happy . . . I’m living a good life that I’m proud of . . . I care about people and their happiness . . . I’m raising my daughter in a way that I believe will help her to be happy. My husband is a good man. Works hard, plays hard, is a good father, good husband . . . Are all Christians so lucky? No. But we are.

I'm glad to hear that. Best of luck to you. I've got a good life as a non-christian. To each his own.

Ah yes, we aren't christians so we must be sad. I could try to tell you about how much my life has improved since I left Christanity, but I'm going to opt for more blanket assumptions and assume that you couldn't possibly understand or would even want to try.

Being a Christian is not a religion – it’s a relationship with God and Jesus.

Then have at it. My relationship with my god is none of your business.

Do you really want to turn your back on that? On them? Man messes things up – Christians mess things up – over and over they do. Why blame God and Jesus for our mistakes – others mistakes?

As I said earlier, I don't blame God and Jesus for anything. I blame christianity, the people that perpetuate it, and because of that, I say I ABSOLUTELY want to turn my back on it. The christian god is neither omnipotent nor unconditionally loving, and I can't swallow the lies anymore. The christian version of god cannot exist so I'm not going to jump through hoops to serve it. I'm not going to be a "slave" to sin or Jesus or man or religion anymore.

Why do you think we came to this board in the first place?

[standard fundie babble snipped except for this:]

Why do you abandon the only hope we have for eternity?

I don't. I do have my decent chance to go to Valhalla after death.

Duh, eh?

Get it fuckface: There's more than just your jebus death cult out there. Give me a reason (that doesn't presuppose that da wholly babble speaks the truth) to assume your jebus ever existed.

Your turn.

I'm giving 5 to 3 odds that she's a one-post wonder who thinks all she has to do is some quick typing and her LORD AND SAVIOR will take over and quickeneth the hearts of the apostates, turning us once again to the glorious truth of GOD and his marvelous plan of salvation and eternal life.

:jerkit:

Yup, reading that worthless OP is like reading a chicken tract. Just as idiotic.

It's time again for Oomph!'s image of The Truth... :pureevil:

Oomph2.jpg

You know what ISB, it's a bit presumptious what you're writing. I'm not unhappy with my life, I'm very good and happy right now, more than before, thank you. And I'm not living in "sin" as you think, or even agree on your concept of what "sin" is. If you want to reach me, you first have to learn all the errors and false assertions you make about me and the rest of the people here. I started to write a long response to you, but you had too many mistaken ideas in there so I gave up.

Welcome to the Board, but please, learn why/how/what we are before you make blanket statements about non Christians that you've learned in Sunday school.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.