Goodbye Jesus

Xian Influence On A Childs Psyche?

Guest Lady~Green

Guest ShannonXero

Hello all,

I have an extra credit paper I could write in my Developmental Psychology class. One of my class-mates did a case study on a child in the mental hospital that she works at, so this is how I got the idea. One of her observations were, and I qoute, hee hee...

"Jason's mother has Obsesive Compulsive Disorder, I have observed her making the child fold every piece of clothing that comes out of the dryer. He is not allowed to read or watch stories about superheros, or play violent videogames. He is to read at least one page of the bible and report what it means to him. He cannot have candy, soda or gum."

My hand shot up, I asked if the whole family was religious?

She replied, VERY!

I then asked my professor if religious influence can be detramental to a childs psyche?

She said, "Mabey, what religion? You have to be very precise, religion is a touchy subject."

So I asked if I had free time, if I could write a paper on it, she replied yes, but I have to only write down fact and cite it appropriately.

I asked my classmate to ask the boys parents what the difference was between superman and goliath? I'm such a bastard.

So what I need from you guys is ANY information regarding a child and religious abuse.

I look forward to reading your replies!

You'll probably find better, scientific studies, on psychology and cults. Then all you have to do is compare christianity to a cult. If I find anything I give it to you.

Guest ShannonXero

You'll probably find better, scientific studies, on psychology and cults. Then all you have to do is compare christianity to a cult. If I find anything I give it to you.

I was looking for examples, or case study proof, something on-the-record. Thank you for the idea, I am going to use that in my Hypothesis.

Read ya soon.

:)Shannon Xero, I basically find spiritual teachings usually very psychologically beneficial!

However, when they are taken to extremes of fanaticism, rigidity, and intolerance... then they become a time bomb for either themselves, or others around them. Look at Andrea Yates who felt God was telling her to kill her precious kids. I hate to even think of such. My close fundamentalist friend significantly frowns upon her 22 year old son seeing Harry Potter! I'm sure there are case studies that fundamental Christianity has had devastating effects on our homosexual community.

You must know of the dysfunctional value of consistently being placed in a self perceived poor ol' sinner and the associated guilt. Then again, I think fundamentalism may also play a part in narcissistic tendencies. What kind of person puts themselves in a divinely exclusive club of eternal paradise while the others are doomed to eternal torture? They are the chosen, and the only ones who hold the Truth? They are in a place to condemn others? I don't know... that seems to border a disorder.

I'd be very interested in your results. Please let me know what you find.

I'll try to look at more stuff later but here is what I found. Please research the creditials of each of these people before quoting them.

http://www.geocities.com/paulntobin/healthier.html

Many psychologists have implicated fundamentalist Christianity with the genesis of the psychological disorders of schizophrenia and depression.

Behavioral scientist, Dr. Robert Ellis, has concluded that there is a strong relationship between the religiosity normally seen in fundamentalists and emotional and mental illness. According to Ellis, the religious attitude "discourages self-acceptance, self-interest, and self directedness, which are all necessary for sound mental and emotional functioning."[18].

In his book Deadly Doctrine: Health, Illness and Christian God-Talk, psychiatrist Dr. Wendell Watters, Professore Emeritus in Psychiatry at McMaster University, Ontario, Canada associated Christian doctrine with the genesis of schizophrenic disorders. He suggested that the Christian doctrine on sex, self-esteem and communication (exarcerbated by "prayer" which tends to make the believer withdraw from outside contact) among others, are major contributors in the development of schizophrenia in children with limited adaptive potential.[19]
Dr. Edmund Cohen, psychologist and ex-fundamentalist, had identified depression as one of the most common psychological disorders among fundamentalist Christians. Citing the results of a study conducted on affective disorders among the Amish which shows that depression is the most common cause of admission into mental health care facilities in this group, Dr. Cohen showed that the simpler, bucolic lifestyle is just a thin veneer for the terrifying alternative mental world they live in:
[O]ne finds that they see the whole secular culture around them as Satanic and temptation fraught; every outsider, benighted and hell bound. The Old Order Amish bucolic world always threatens to snap open a trap door beneath the feet, and send the backslider down the tubes into the no-exit concentration camp if the guard of rigidity be let down. The sect really presents, like the biblical indoctrination itself, a superbly effective set of psychological social controls...[20]

In this sense the psychological worldview of the Old Order Amish is very similar to that of many fundamentalist Christians.

Certainly none of these psychologists are claiming that all fundamentalist Christians suffer from psychological disorders! Merely that the teachings of fundamentalist Christians makes one more susceptible towards such psychopathologies. As an extension of this, it is also possible that the world of the fundamentalists, with its continuous presence of the evil and good spirits, is a magnet for people who are already psychologically pathological. I couldn't help equating Dr. Wattter's description of the symptoms of schizophrenia with what I have seen in some pentecostal churches!

The schizophrenic disorders are conditions in which the individual patient manifests severe disturbances in perception, cognition, speech, emotional life, and behavior. Disturbances of perception, cognition and speech include hallucinations, delusions, loosenings of associations, excessive concreteness and symbolism, incoherence, neologisms (making up words), mutism, echolalia (repeating words spoken by others), verbigeration (word repetition), and stilted language.[22]

Try these books and websites as well

''Reason and Emotion in Psychotherapy'' Dr. Ellis

President Emeritus of the Albert Ellis Institute in New York

http://www.edwardtbabinski.us/essays/dr_gregory.html

Dr. Gregory Bateson's book, "Steps to an Ecology of mind".

Hypnosis and bible http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/johnson2.htm

Guest ShannonXero

Taylork45...

That geocities site was awesome! That's exactly what I need! More stuff like that.

Thank you Thank you :clap:

I'm hoping that what I gave you should be enough for any extra credit paper especially if you research the books I mentioned. If you need other stuff then just realize that you don't need stuff that directly comes from psychologist against the bible. Look for any of the following.

Sexual Repression psychological effects

Sexual repression in kids

psychological effects of cults

psychological effects of threats (can relate to hell doctrine)

Any of those can be tied into christianity without being directly about it. The sexual stuff is of course about abstinence stuff. If you need something else just ask and either I or someone else will help out.

Guest ShannonXero

That's great I have enough to start writing... now if I could just how wtf style my professor wants. When it is done I will post it.

And don't worry it won't be long, I'm only a freshman in college, it'll be just 3 or 4 pages.

I'll keep checking from time to time to get some more info, after all the paper is not due till the end of the semester... August 1, 2006.

Thank you all for your posts, and the future ones as well. :phew:

Guest Mr. XC

I am not sure if you have seen this topic, but in case you have not, here is a good current event of what happens when Christianity it mixed with a school. Needless to say, being a Jewish child is not very pleasant at that school.

ExChristian.Net Forums > Discussions > News and Current Events > Jewish Family Flees Delaware

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?showtopic=10136

Guest ShannonXero

Wow, how disrespectful. That goes on all over and it really needs to stop! If they want us to treat them respectfully, they should do the same to us, after all, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." right? Ha!

Greetings ShannonXero,

This is an interesting post. I have thought A LOT about these things but I am not sure if I am willing to expose some pretty deep hurts to an on-line community where I am somewhat of a outsider. However, I am currently in the last stages of my doctorate training in Social & Cultural Psychology so I am fairly well versed in the topic at hand. I do think that the issues that you are addressing are a little more sophisticated/complex than the refs you are using. Basically, I would like to mention that you should be cautious about the claims you make in your paper in order to avoid a bad mark. From the tone in the posts and the refs you are using, it looks like your paper is going to read like you are someone who has an agenda to push and you are not really trying to learn (that is, you are trying to justify what you already take for granted). As someone who has marked a lot of papers from students in a theological university-college and a secular university, I have read both sides of this issue and agenda based writing generally stinks. Your points are not so bad - it is all in how you say it.

I am willing to offer any advice on any specific questions you may have with regards to this topic or any related to psychology. You can ask them in this forum or send me a message directly (if you have any questions about graduate training or career stuff in psychology, I don't mind fielding these as well).

If you are interest in developmental work and the impact of cults/religion (or any type of culture), I would really recommend that you start read L. Vygotsky. His main book, 'Thought and Speech' (there are similar names for similar translations) demonstrates how the culture around us creates concepts within our minds. Another great place to go is Mead's book "Mind, Self, and Society."

Best,

Jimmy

• 2 weeks later...

From the tone in the posts and the refs you are using, it looks like your paper is going to read like you are someone who has an agenda to push and you are not really trying to learn (that is, you are trying to justify what you already take for granted). As someone who has marked a lot of papers from students in a theological university-college and a secular university, I have read both sides of this issue and agenda based writing generally stinks. Your points are not so bad - it is all in how you say it.

Usually when people write anything about religion it's agenda based. You're either going to show some or all the points addressed in your article to be in favor of supporting your particular religious view or rejecting it.

But I see your point sorta. But the first article I gave her shows both side of the argument. It shows how christianity has some good psychological benefits to it. The later part show a rebuttal to those claims with evidence to back it up. This seems like good material to use when writing a paper.

Anyway, ShannonXero, how is your paper coming along?

Here is some stuff I found on sexual repression.

http://www.libchrist.com/bible/child.html

Persecution is a harsh word, but I think that nothing less has gone on throughout church history and goes on today in the way children are treated in terms of their sexuality. I am only one of countless numbers of people who can recall the fear, the reprimands and even the physical punishments connected with sexual development as a child. Beginning with their own ignorance and following the negative teachings of traditional Christianity, millions of parents have passed on to even more millions of children the belief that their sexuality (and bodies) is something to be ashamed of, hidden and not talked about. Indeed, what is God-given is hated and constantly put down as evil. What else is this than persecution and an imprisonment of both soul and body?

One of the areas in which this treatment of children has taken place is marriage. Throughout most of human history societies have allowed marriage at or near the time of puberty. The church itself for centuries tended to follow the Jewish pattern of a minimum age of 12 for girls and 13 for boys, though by no means did all marry that early. In effect, childhood ended at that point and adulthood began. In many societies just prior to the permissible marriage age came the "rites of passage" or "puberty rites," which formally signaled the entrance of the youth into the privileges and responsibilities of adulthood. These practices remain in some cultures today and in some modern American Indian tribes young people are expected to be sexually active at least by puberty and some begin raising families at that age, even though white man's law may forbid it.

As will be discussed later in this article, in societies that expect early marriage it is typical that children are at least permitted or even encouraged in sexual play and experimentation from a young age. This is seen as the beginning of a natural process that prepares them for full roles as sexual adults. Perhaps one of the worst kept secrets in the sexual life of our culture is that our children also participate in various kinds of sex play. Yet, because that play is either ignored, actively discouraged or even punished, it becomes part of the secret life of our youth and contributes significantly to the whole pattern of living our sexual lives in the dark.

In spite of much-hyped liberal sexual attitudes of our culture, there remains the notion that real sexual activity only begins in marriage. Even if healthy sexual functioning in marriage was not inhibited by the negative teachings we receive as children, more damage is done by the typical postponement of marriage far into the years of sexual maturity.

I wouldn't use this article as a source. read through it and you will see why. But it can give you ideas. I also suggest stealing some of the sources in his article and going from there.

Shit, I'm a case-study in my own right. Being raised by intense Southern Baptists, well, when my parents found out I had lost my virginity at age 15, I was sent to the youth minister and made to listen to a long diatribe on the evils of the flesh, including how masturbation was a deadly sin, and lust was condemnable in any situation (including between two married partners).

I left the faith when I was 17, but I am still in therapy over this now at age 20, because I can no longer become aroused. Religion has literally robbed from me a healthy libido. And my fiance is paying the price for it.

Do you have to talk about how christianity has an effect on the child psyche? Or can it be other major religions too?

If you can stray off of christianity and show how much the psyche can be effected just from other religions you could bring up Saudi Arabia. Their education system needs to be erased from the face of the planet. From 1st through 12th grade they get more complicated and drawn out reasons to hate others and love allah. There was an article in my paper a while ago, but I'm sure you can find it on the internet. If I have time later tonight I'll help you look for it assuming you can use it.

Guest ShannonXero

New news on the paper front... I was told by my Professor my open interest in "Religion and it's effects on a childs psyche" has been denied. She told me one of my classmates, whom of which is catholic, was deeply offended by my audasity to show interest in such a subject. So rather than start a "Religious war" here on the home front, I was advised to abandon that particular idea/topic, since I'm only 12 credit hours into my associates degree. It sounds to me like shes chicken chitt, and she does'nt want to make waves.

Guest Mr. XC

New news on the paper front... I was told by my Professor my open interest in "Religion and it's effects on a childs psyche" has been denied. She told me one of my classmates, whom of which is catholic, was deeply offended by my audasity to show interest in such a subject. So rather than start a "Religious war" here on the home front, I was advised to abandon that particular idea/topic, since I'm only 12 credit hours into my associates degree. It sounds to me like shes chicken chitt, and she does'nt want to make waves.

What bullshit. What is inherently wrong with saying how religion affects children? Perhaps she already knows that on some level what it does to children is wrong? :twitch:

Well, maybe you can write this paper (and get credit for it) when you are further on in your degree.

Yeah I think that whoever complained knows personally how religion can affect a child psyche. She's probably been harmed by it herself. But I don't see how it could be bad if you write the positives and the negatives on the subject. Maybe they just can't stand the idea of ANYTHING in their faith being harmful even when it obviously is. If you have time you should write it anyway based on how interested you are in it. There isn't a lot of material out on this subject, maybe now you can take time to write it in a more serious manner. Maybe even write a book! I'd buy it :)

That is bullshit. I say tell the professor that you will do the paper anyway, even if you don't get credit for it. You will be unmoved by someone's attempt at censorship. You have your right to research and speech.

If not for credit, do it for personal enrichment.

You should write it anyways. If anything you should just look into it some more and give the report back to us here on the forums. I would be happy to read it. :)

Knowledge is power

Greetings SX,

Having been on the other side of the fence I would like to put up a bit of a defence for your instructor. Instructors are prettey-much disempowered (especially if they are a sessional instructor) and the last thing that they need are some undergrads to pick up some sort of indignatious cause that gets you an unending series of emails and meetings with the dean, related committees, and review/disciplinary boards. I have seen situations like this happen and it is very messy. You also need to realize that it is a significant amount of work to teach a class. I calculated my hours for a class that I taught last winter and it worked out that I was making less than $5 per hour. The last thing that an instructor wants to do is get caught up in a pissing contest between two ideologically opposed students (who are generally not near as insightful as they take themselves to be) and/or take the time to read a self-indulgent paper (which I alluded to above as generally being poorly written which makes them take 3 times as long to read). If the student is very strong and will benefit, then it is worth the time but this is usually not the case. Most papers of this sort, however, are not so insightful and come out as a reiteration of pop culture with very little psychological merit. Your self-indulgence can cost the instructor a lot of time - more than you realize. The instructor has good reason to want to avoid this problem. She is responsible for what goes on in the class and her but is on the line of someone (again: pro or con) wants to get upset.

Take a step back and relativise your position: don't be so caught up in your self-righteous anit-christian cause. Take Khan Noonien Singh's advice and develop your own ideas separate from class for personal enrrichment - just do a good job of it. (btw: this hardly qualifies as censorship - read some biographies during Stalin's tyrany).

I did find it interesting that you didn't follow up on my offer of help.

Best,

Jimmy

Guest ShannonXero

As of 07-27-06, my professor asked all of us if we would like to fight for the cause of helping children and or child care... ie. D.H.S. If we could all get together and fight for more DHS employees and more pay raises based on merit. We need to leave our e-mail address today (7/31/06) and mail letters to our Olahoma congressmen regarding the issue. I am typing all this in the computer lab, before class, here on campus, out of anger, so I am deeply sorry for typos. One smartass in class nominated me for the position of "front-man" or leader, becauase of my big bitch mouth, and my political upbringing. Today I am going to tell them I will help for the kids but I am not happy that I cannot address a more mentally abusive issue, that will help them out MORE in the LONG RUN!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!! MY FARKIN' VOICE WILL BE HEARD BEFORE I DIE!

• 2 weeks later...

'ShannonXero, I just joined this forum and saw your request for information in regards to Children.

Rather than one example it seems to me it is a philosophical problem which is detrimental to the entire society.

It seems that the one distinguishing emotion all children have is a compulsion to belong. While this emotion may be modified as we age, it seems to be a part of the core of human nature.

We have all seen children as they grow up; when we look at children there are two very different environments in which they grow up in.

The first of these is the child who is reared in a family of support, there we see the parents encouraging all positive aspects of the child without making a great scandal out of the little things which go wrong. This child most often grows up to be a valuable member of society which is well adjusted and happy.

The second child is constantly corrected. The child is told he/she will never amount to much, all faults are pounced on and the child often feels he/she is a failure. Such children usually grow up proving to everyone that their parents were correct in saying the child would never amount to anything.

Outside the family it is most often the religion to which the child belongs that affects the child the most in early years.

The Christian doctrine teaches the congregation that the entire human race are sinners, we failed a God and can never measure up though through "grace" we may yet not have to spend eternity in a dismal underworld their God has in store for them.

The first child mentioned may be said to have been blessed by the family. The second child was cursed by the family, the church has cursed the entire human race and the most amazing aspect is that with a religion such as Christianity the situation on earth is not even worse than it is.

Best Rasmus