Goodbye Jesus

Where Is Hell?and That Ole Bottomless Pit

Leaf

OK I remember hearing 50++++ sermons on Hell..Of all these I have written down some of the places where some of the pastors or evangelist said hell was....

1.Hell was in the center of the earth one said. It is hot there he even used Science for this. Now wait...don't God destroy the earth in Revelations? So then Hell will get destroyed.... :Wendywhatever:

2.Hell will be in our minds....We will think in hell and be miserable and thing mainly because we rejected God and his son.....Hnmmm OK I thought what about the Indian who never heard about jesus? Whats he going to be thinking about?? :ugh::twitch: Absurd!

3. Hell is in a dark hole in the universe somewhere. The bible thumpers love Luke 16 for this one! That great gulf :loser: ..OK so I am bad, I die..God warps me at the spread of light to some star to meet up with Satan "of whom I thought was living on earth" So God transport billions of people to this hole...Hnmm OK lots of imagination there..Also again remember god will destroy the Heavens and the earth to make a new one...So all those in Hell in the hole God better not forget to destroy them because they must suffer FOREVER :woohoo: !

4.Hell is under the earth somewhere. This is the one I hear allot about. You know you die..then meet by Demons..you may even get a chance to see Satan if your lucky..Here you will be tormented by deformed 20 foot tall demons with whips and chains...possible raped,molested, burned..heres when all the 10 commandments get broken on those souls who didn't accept jesus."Children and new born babies included"

5.I want to include here the bottomless pit.............OK in Rev an Angel ties up Satan and all his billions of followers with 1 chain....! WOW AMAZING that is one huge chain!!Must be tight! I would imagine a few may slip out...Then he opens a pit in the earth "remember at this time 90 AD the earth was flat" Then he throws in Satan and the billion of people and demons ....bye bye.....And Satan falls down this pit "must be gravity" for 1,000 years.....WOW!!! Think he would eventually after a few days hit China....WOW..Absurd...

I read somewhere that some loony preacher is saying that Black Holes are where hell is. :lmao:

I read somewhere that some loony preacher is saying that Black Holes are where hell is. :lmao:

The Universe is HUGE...Yeah God made all those billions of stars "while in the dark" in 1 day..Took him the other 5 to make only the earth :Wendywhatever: Also noted by Carl Sagen is that their are now 100's of black holes in the universe. Ive heard this augument before also. It is totally absurd for any thinking mind..but it is easy to believe for a Christain...Too many Star Tract movies watched by pastors on this one...You know ...Jesus calls god...Hey god..Joe Smooo is bad and just died warp him to Black hole 23 "AKA hell" OK Jesus I'll warp him now.......

post-2146-1158395360.jpg

Fine. If Hell is a black hole then because of Hawking Radiation we'll all get out after a few billion years (as individual atoms, but you can't have everything).

mwc

4.Hell is under the earth somewhere. This is the one I hear allot about. You know you die..then meet by Demons..you may even get a chance to see Satan if your lucky..Here you will be tormented by deformed 20 foot tall demons with whips and chains...possible raped,molested, burned..heres when all the 10 commandments get broken on those souls who didn't accept jesus."Children and new born babies included"

5.I want to include here the bottomless pit.............OK in Rev an Angel ties up Satan and all his billions of followers with 1 chain....! WOW AMAZING that is one huge chain!!Must be tight! I would imagine a few may slip out...Then he opens a pit in the earth "remember at this time 90 AD the earth was flat" Then he throws in Satan and the billion of people and demons ....bye bye.....And Satan falls down this pit "must be gravity" for 1,000 years.....WOW!!! Think he would eventually after a few days hit China....WOW..Absurd...

:scratch: I've always wondered how much the ones who believe in these are into S&M or similar.

Casey

Looking at all this as metaphors, I think hell is basically just a frame of mind. The war between 'heaven' and 'hell' is within us. It is here and now that there is weeping and gnashing of teeth, or heaven everywhere we look. That is determined by our 'mindset'. The side that wins is the side we feed the most.

The Greek word for fire is purose, the root of the word being 'pur,' which means to cleanse intensely. That is where we get our words, pure, purify, purge, etc. They used fire at high temperatures to 'purify' their metals for making things like weapons. They used fire to clean garbage dumps. Fire was for purification. The word damnation just means judgement. Hell, it seems to me is just the 'natural repercussions' for one's actions. There is a metaphor of us being 'incense on a golden altar,' where our carnal (selfish) nature is 'burned' off, and the smoke represents us left in pure spirit form.

If one did not know the word 'lava', which comes from inside the earth, what would we call it? A 'lake of fire'? Maybe we are standing on it?

If one does not have solid foundations on which to stand, could that be called a 'bottomless pit'?

I don't think it is any magic, nor a burning pit in some other demension that just happens to also be in outer darkness with all that flaming fire. :wacko:

Actually, IMO, the book of Revelations is saying that everyone will be 'saved', and nothing bad is really going to happen then. If one would read the first two sentences of the book, they could see this. Again, all this is IMHO. :thanks:

And along with black holes, there is the Bermuda Triangle..I heard the theory put forth that that is where the demons come through to our side, and we fall in to their side.. :twitch:

My church had a fun spin. Hell was the center of the earth, and the reason we have earthquakes is because Hell is "daily enlarging herself". It goes well with the whole endtimes stuff Jesus mentioned in Matthew, about earthquakes in divers places. (And to induldge in a pun: Diver's places? The ocean? Ah, 'splains the tsunamis!) Also, when it was time for judgement, all the souls would be transferred from Hell to the Lake of Fire, which doesn't get a name. This is so they avoid that whole passing-away thing. It'd suck if anyone got a break from that eternal damntion thing, wouldn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

OK I remember hearing 50++++ sermons on Hell..Of all these I have written down some of the places where some of the pastors or evangelist said hell was....

1.Hell was in the center of the earth one said. It is hot there he even used Science for this. Now wait...don't God destroy the earth in Revelations? So then Hell will get destroyed.... :Wendywhatever:

2.Hell will be in our minds....We will think in hell and be miserable and thing mainly because we rejected God and his son.....Hnmmm OK I thought what about the Indian who never heard about jesus? Whats he going to be thinking about?? :ugh::twitch: Absurd!

3. Hell is in a dark hole in the universe somewhere. The bible thumpers love Luke 16 for this one! That great gulf :loser: ..OK so I am bad, I die..God warps me at the spread of light to some star to meet up with Satan "of whom I thought was living on earth" So God transport billions of people to this hole...Hnmm OK lots of imagination there..Also again remember god will destroy the Heavens and the earth to make a new one...So all those in Hell in the hole God better not forget to destroy them because they must suffer FOREVER :woohoo: !

It's a pity some people can't appreciate the apocalyptic genre.

Anyway, what you heard sounds very much like fundamentalism. If you're interested in an orthodox, non-fundamentalist view of Hell, see Honor and Pain by JP Holding. Basically he says that Hell is based on shame. The Indian who has never heard of God (and has not sought him in any way -- we don't quite know what happens to Indians who DID seek) will suffer a lot less shame than, say, a fundamentalist who has heard the Gospel for 50 years but spent his life whipping atheists rather than believing in Jesus.

Which is not to say that everyone who loves whipping atheists doesn't believe in Jesus. But it's a pity the two go together sometimes!

JP Holding! :lmao:

You are qute the comedian!

And Satan falls down this pit "must be gravity" for 1,000 years.....WOW!!! Think he would eventually after a few days hit China....WOW..Absurd...

No, he'd oscillate back and forth through the Earth's core.

And Satan falls down this pit "must be gravity" for 1,000 years.....WOW!!! Think he would eventually after a few days hit China....WOW..Absurd...

Isn't the earths core solid mass?

I thought it was metal (Iron, Nickel, and some oxygen) in a liquid state. High Pressure makes it liquid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_core

The inner core is very hot and is under extreme pressure.Temperatures there can reach 5,000 to 6,000 °C (>9,000 °F). However, unlike the outer core, the inner core remains solid due to the extremely high pressure. The average density of the core is about 15 g/cm³.

Ja, but they're metaphysical beings.

Then why would they be effected by gravity and oscillate through earth's core?

Because they have metaphysical mass...der!!!!

Because they have metaphysical mass...der!!!!

gravity is the force of attraction between two masses. What happens when one mass is physical and another is metaphysical. Shouldn't one not effect the other?

gravity is the force of attraction between two masses. What happens when one mass is physical and another is metaphysical. Shouldn't one not effect the other?

Yea, metaphysical mass is attracted by other metaphysical mass and regular mass, but regular mass is not affected by metaphysical mass.

JP Holding! :lmao:

You are qute the comedian!

JP Holding is cool. Anyway, his view on hell is a lot more sophisticated than the views advanced here. ;)

It's a pity some people can't appreciate the apocalyptic genre.

Anyway, what you heard sounds very much like fundamentalism. If you're interested in an orthodox, non-fundamentalist view of Hell, see Honor and Pain by JP Holding. Basically he says that Hell is based on shame. The Indian who has never heard of God (and has not sought him in any way -- we don't quite know what happens to Indians who DID seek) will suffer a lot less shame than, say, a fundamentalist who has heard the Gospel for 50 years but spent his life whipping atheists rather than believing in Jesus.

Which is not to say that everyone who loves whipping atheists doesn't believe in Jesus. But it's a pity the two go together sometimes!

Interesting theory, but the major flaw is what shame will anyone feel if all they are doing is mixing with other people who are suffering the same shame? Absolutely none. Everyone will be in the same boat, so will think nothing of each other's shame. In fact I think they would probably be quite happy knowing they are with people who have done the same terrible things as them.

Will those who are in heaven be sitting there on their clouds looking down their noses at those in hell? Perhaps they'll be saying "ooooh look at those disgusting filthy humans". Maybe they'll be ridiculing them. Perhaps they'll have their halos on and have this holier than though attitude, making all those heatherns feel bad. Sounds very Christian doesn't it? :lmao:

Anyway, what you heard sounds very much like fundamentalism. If you're interested in an orthodox, non-fundamentalist view of Hell, see Honor and Pain by JP Holding. Basically he says that Hell is based on shame.

JP Holding is a Protestant Fundamentalist, not a Orthodox Christian.

The Indian who has never heard of God (and has not sought him in any way -- we don't quite know what happens to Indians who DID seek) will suffer a lot less shame than, say, a fundamentalist who has heard the Gospel for 50 years but spent his life whipping atheists rather than believing in Jesus

Please explain to me how a Indian who has never heard of the Protestant Christian God seek him?

Well unfortunate this is just christian rationalisation of NT verses which explicity mention about everlasting torture and pain.

There is however zero verses from the Old Testament which supports the hell doctrine. Pretty much it is ripped off Pagan concept like Christmas or the Devil

The Jews don't believe in such nonsense, because there is NO scriptural basis for it

Ask A Rabbi -Exegesis of Daniel 12.2

Ask A Rabbi - The Fiery Hell - Jewish Viewpoint

Thanks

Skeptics

• 3 weeks later...

Yea, metaphysical mass is attracted by other metaphysical mass and regular mass, but regular mass is not affected by metaphysical mass.

Sooooo considering Satan's metaphysical properties he must be made of some kind of dark matter :HaHa::scratch: It explains why there is mass missing in the universe but then metaphorical beings must have huge asses to account for 70% of the energy in the universe. :lmao: