Goodbye Jesus

The Bullshit Fundie Parents Dish Out

Amelia

Hi Guys,

As you may know, I come from a fundie family - father is a pastor, mother and brother do as he says. In other words, a fucked up family! :)

Anyhow, what bullshit did your fundie parents feed you as a kid?

Here's a few from my wonderful parents:

* "I love you but I don't like you" (compliments of my father)

* "Don't call me Mummy ever again" (when I was seven)

* "I don't care how old you are. If you give me disrespect, you will cop it from me." (regarding belting and hitting me for anything that pissed my father off)

* "What I'm doing to you is illegal, but you just have to put up with it." (regarding the belting and hitting after I was of age)

* "I won't cop disrespect or mouth from women. If you give that to me, I will come down on you like a tonne of bricks every time." (my father on me disrespecting him, because I'm a woman)

* "Don't you get too close to your mother. She is MY wife BEFORE she is your mother." (said to me as a teenager if I wanted to go out somewhere with my mother alone, e.g. shopping WITHOUT my father)

* "Stop siding with your daughter! You are MY WIFE BEFORE YOU ARE HER MOTHER! YOU WILL OBEY ME!!!" (my father, the tyrant)

* "What are you doing crying over your friend who killed himself? He sent himself to hell so STOP CRYING!"

* "The woman is crying because her father did something to her when she was a kid. It's been over fifty years and the man is dead. Why can't she stop annoying me with her tears and just accept healing from GOD?????!!!!" (my father's words about a woman in the church who I suspect was physically or sexually abused by her father)

* "He has down syndrome, but he disrespected me and got what he deserved" (my father about the kid in church he hit for 'mouthing off' to him)

* "You will go to church, because I will make you"

* "I don't care how old you are. As long as you live under MY roof, you will obey MY rules" (about being told what to do, being hit as an adult, etc)

* "Don't listen to your school chaplain. He doesn't speak in tongues, so he doesn't even know god"

* "Children have no rights. The government has no right to tell me whether or not I can hit you. The bible says I should hit you, so I will"

* "No kid of mine is going to learn about this human rights rubbish. I'll treat my kids the way I want, and that does involve me hitting them if I see fit"

* "There is NO such thing as rape in marriage. Women are to have sex with their husbands whenever their husbands demand it. That's what the bible says"

"I don't abuse you. I only hit you around the legs and backside. I don't hit you around the head or face, so that's okay"

"If you were a man, I'd knock you down NOW because you DESERVE IT!" (words my father would say when he would swing at me or raise his fists and chase me round the house when I was about 16+. All for saying something like, "I'll do what I fucking like" or "You're an animal"

Just a few words of complete and utter bullshit that my parents dished out to me.

What shit did your fundie parents dish out to you?

Cheers,

Amelia

I want to kick your fathers ass too. He sounds like an insecure and pathetic little man.

I can't honestly remember much about my childhood or anything said to me, just feel the pain of the words coming back now and again.

Make that three people who want to kick your fathersperm donor's ass.

I'll bring the baseball bat.

Another shinning example of God's love.

WTF. This man is a pastor? What denomination out of curiosity?

He sounds SERIOUSLY messed up. When I was younger, I was the fundie and not my parents. Now it's the other way around. My parents don't really harass me for not going to church. Although I'm sure they pray for me every day and that kind of pisses me off, and also I would like them to stop telling me I'm going to hell.

My family was fucked up in a different way, not religious...just super weird.

Thanks Guys!

He's pentecostal fundamentalist. Into all the singing and clapping and tongues shit. Basically anything that makes you look stupid on a Sunday, they're into. :dumbo:

Cheers,

Amelia :)

Hi Guys,

Here's another statement from my father that I remember, after I was going off my brain in a discussion with my father about how terrible, disgusting and tragic I considered the abuse of children in the Catholic church to be:

* "You shouldn't be speaking like that about the church. The church is the body of Christ and these accusations of rape have to be private, because if they are made public, it disgraces the body of Christ. The media just reports all the time about these scandals because they want to ruin the church."

The church could never do wrong according to my father, even though that is fucking wrong!!! ABUSE IS WRONG!!!!!!!!! I don't care if it's the pope, it's bloody wrong!!!!! :vent:

Cheers,

Amelia

I want to kick your father's ass.

Time for the mandatory "Bloode Eagle™ promotion" comment from me :fdevil:

Yes, that dad was a true pure-bred morontheist fuckface. :vent:

I'll bring the baseball bat.

Did I mention already that I contemplate purchasing one of these?

635_1.jpg

It's sturdy enough to be used in combat if sharpened... :pureevil:

Into just how small pieces can one hack a fundie with one of those tools? :lmao:

When I was in my late teens there was this family of Pentecostalist living next door to us. They ran the church youth group and my Mum went and told them that I would love to join it! When I was a child my Mum used to read bits of the OT to me.

I had a mother who constantly told me that I was going to burn in hell because I wasn't good enough for her.

The same woman also claimed that I gave her her cancer out of stress, which is total B.S.

I'd add myself to the list of people who want to kick your sperm donor's ass... but everyone else is a lot kinder than I am. He'd be fortunate if all I wanted to do to him was kick his ass.

Seriously. Even without the fundie spin on it, your sperm donor is a fucking sociopath. Asskicking wouldn't go far enough.

So I'll bring the razor wire, lemon juice, and epsom salts.

Yes, Amelia's Dad does sound like he needs a fucking good kicking.

Wow...Amelia, gad, what a terrible slice of life you've gone through!

I would offer the following:

First, my parents were not fundies. My father was agnostic, but he had an abusive streak in him, and it was a big one.

As I became an adult, I had to deal with the abuses, verbal and physical, I had endured, and I did it this way: I held my father responsible, even if only in my mind and my thoughts. (He's been dead for 20 years.) I pointed my angry finger and said, "You did this, you hurt me, I did not deserve that, and you, only you, are responsible!" In other words, I held my father in judgement, and I judged him. Once that was accomplished, it became easier to realize, this is my life and it belongs to me. I am responsible for it, regardless of any wrongs meted out by my father in his times of rage. It is mine, I will own it, and I will make it a good work according to my own will.

What happened was that I took control of my life, I was able to forgive my father's wrongs, and accept him for what he was, acknowledging that in his way he also taught me many good things that I am thankful for. He became just a man, just like me, with a son he tried to do good with in the final balance. As a result, I made my peace with him and moved on. My life became my own, and now I live it my way. Instead of only remembering the bad and abusive stuff, I can remember the good things as well, which brought me to that sought after state of equilibrium in life.

I don't know if that method would work for you, but it did the trick for me.

And I would agree with the others who have responded. Your dad should have had his ass kicked.

I don't remember much BS from my xtian family except for one thing:

"You shouldn't feel angry ( sad, depressed, anxious, other negative emotion) as that will poison your soul and you can get sick with cancer ( pneumonia, allergies, other diseases) from feeling that way. You must be joyful as Jeebus wants you to put on a happy face for him! You don't want to be sick because you're feeling the wrong things do you? Now let's sing 'Jeebus love me...' to cheer you up before that anger ( or other negative emotion) makes you very sick."

My closest family aren't what you call fundies (except for some ones who have passed away or are in other states) but they do seem to get some of the New Age "vibes" bullshit thrown into thier xtian beliefs.

Omigod, your father repulses me. I agree with everyone else who wants to whip his ass. Preachers make me sick with all of their holier than thou bullshit.

Well, my dad was nothing but a thug(may he rest in peace), so he wasn't very religious at all...just drank(raging alcoholic), philandered(had a wife and about 12 or 13 mistresses), and worked really hard(something I admired about him)...Didn't have to worry about that...

My mom and relatives pretty much indoctrinated me with all that stuff...

"A disobedient child has shorter days..." they, literally, made me believe if I did something my mom told me not to I would drop dead...

or "Summer showers mean that the devil is beating his wife..." I love summer showers...How can something beautiful be compared to the horror of spousal abuse?

Guest Durthorin

When I was growing up it was my mother.. I can remmember rolling around at six being beaten with a lamp cord with her yelling "Stop screaming or I'll give you something to scream about." I learned to be very stoic. I learned to duck and stay out of her sight until I was 14-15 and she decided it was time to beat me about something..

She swung and something snapped. I caught her hand and for the first time I stood up next to her.. and noticed I had to look down at her. I also saw the fear in her eyes as well as her rage.

"You will never hit me again."

An she never did.

Brighid Bless, Dur

.... And some of these parents do a fine job of demonstrating why the world needs packs of hungry, man-eating wolves roaming freely.... especially once said parents have been liberally doused with steak sauce. :pureevil:

My mom told me that demons were real and all around us, just waiting for a chance to attack or possess us, and that the only thing stopping them was the special protection Jesus extended over children and Christians. As proof, she told me about all the times that she'd seen demons and that they'd tried to attack her physically.

Did I mention that she told me all that at night when I was about 5 years old?

As I think about it a little more...

The main fundy in my family was my mom. She was an alcoholic for most of my life; she went sober when I was nearly 16 and she had a "religious experience" and quit cold turkey. After that she went fundy on us.

I think that her fundy-ness just supported things she already believed about everything, like the fundy bit just reinforced stuff she already thought. I mean she thought women who had sex before they married were whores before she was fundy, for instance, and she thought they were whores going to hell afterwards - not much difference there.

Which of course made it all very cut-and-dried in her mind when I turned up sexually assaulted by an SO when I was 16: I'd had sex, I was a teen, I was unmarried, therefore I was a whore. Simple equation. She didn't love me when she was drinking because I wasn't a bottle of vodka, and she didn't love me after she quit because I wasn't Jesus. It was that simple, only with the religious bit I think she had more support from Scriptchah. Verses about everybody being sinful, I think, explained to her why everybody was so "mean" to her, stuff like that (i.e. being persecuted for Jesus, or everybody else not being as righteous, etc.).

Really it was just more of the same, with a religious twist on it. :shrug:

I went through a phase when I was drinking too much and my Mother told me that the devil was getting a hold on my life.

Well.....

How is this... was really sick last month with a flu bug... had my mom take me to the doctor and as we are in the car my mom asks me..." I know this may sound weird but have you done anything to open you up to an attack or commited any sin that may have caused you to get sick?' :Doh:

The next day she was at my house...was looking for something to read... she noticed my copy of Dan Brown's, "Demons and Angels"..she said what's that book? I said oh you wouldn't like it.l Then she said oh and you wonder why you are sick.. or something like that.. :ugh:

GOOD GRIEF! My mom is a little nutty to begin with but add thease fundy beliefs to the mix and totally wacked out.l.

She is also determined that god told her that I am not in the righ place of employment and ya daa yahh dah...and I shouldn't be doin this and that.. She is afraid of her own shadow and would have love me to stay at home until I was marriedl...Oh and when I wanted to move out on my own she told me god told her it wasn't right.. and I needed more light..and that I should stay a t home... ie supporting her being under her control and being fearful...AHHHH I moved out a month latter which she was totally pissed about for years after...

It was total emotional abuse and control that my mom tried to do.. she never used religion to physically hurt or abuse me.

I am really sadden to hear Amelia what your parents and father especially did to you.. that is dispicable for any human being to do to another...especially a pastor who is by their religion suppossed to be held to a higher level of accountability for there actions.

And a mother who is suppossed to protect her young from harm. The mother hen in me wants to give you a big hug... I hope you can eventually create a new family and community that will love you and care for you as we humans are even animals do.... It is amazing the crap that our parents try to pull on us...well not anymore!

I think it's good that religion can help a person get over habits like drinking and drugs.......if only the side effects didn't come along with it.

It's actually kind of too bad that every religious organization that runs a rehab effort is almost always a fundy Christian one. Obviously this is because they have the most funding in the United States. But I think it would be refreshing to see a Buddhist or Hindu open-minded group run a freer sort of "spirituality cure".

I'm not saying that spirituality is neccessary to create a cure from addiction - but the psychiatric field in general is a non-religious way of solving addition problems, to me.

Perhaps the reason why fundy cures are so popular is because a person trades in one addiction for another, in the same way many people trade one fundamentalist religion or belief for another. Perhaps it's not so much a person needing *this* crutch, as *a* crutch.