Goodbye Jesus

Maturing In Infidelity

smellincoffee

A few days ago, I was reading letters to friends and family that I had written as a way of explaining why I was no longer a Christian. I wrote these nearly a year ago, when I was just getting used to thinking of myself as an atheist. There were perhaps a hundred letters written to five people; every time I finished a letter, I started over with a different approach. These letters amuse me now; back then I felt like I needed to explan myself to my former pastor and those friends. Now I realize that had I given those letters out, my life would have been made worse; they'd have ammunition against me. I believe someone from these very forums advised against my writing letters, and as it turns out they were very right indeed. I know now that no explanation is due to those people, and that it is a very good thing that I never made a formal "This is what I believe/disbelieve" declaration.

How have you matured in your apostasy? I know many of the people who frequent these forums are old hands at it, but I think the majority of us are recent (in the past two years) ex-converts, and the insight shared here may be helpful to those who are very new to these forums.

Edit: Found the thread. Thanks, Mongo and Skip N. Church; good advice.

You're right - it's best not to make any announcements to other people. When I left, I wrote to my priest, then had second thoughts and came back. Then I started at another church and announced I was joining them, and have now had to explain why I've left them - just got in a mess and made myself look a fool.

I would say to other people, it's much less trouble simply to quietly walk away.

SmellingCoffee, I looked up your other thread and responded there. My response seemed more in line with it. I hope that's okay.