Goodbye Jesus

Forgiveness by Thirds

Saviourmachine

Forgiveness by Thirds

Suppose the following situation:

_________

Xian: "O God! I murdered my neighbour this morning. O my God! I am heartily sorry for that. I promise to murder never again. I detest my sin. Most of all, because the offend Thee, o Lord! I feel deeply sorry!"

God [speaking out loud for one time]: "If you believe in Jesus you'll be forgiven, my son."

Xian [sincerely]: "Yes, I believe! Jesus I believe in you, I believe that you bear all my sins. Even this one! Jesus, I love you! What would I've been without you?"

God: "My son, all your sins are forgiven. Also this one. You'll be welcome at the end of your life in my heavenly places."

Murdered Neighbour in hell: "What the fuck! He does murder me and I don't even get the opportunity to forgive him or not!? He just was forgiven by someone else. Don't I have to forgive him!? Didn't he sin against me? May you burn in hell, murderer! I do not forgive you your transgression! That burden lays still upon you! You are not forgiven, although your God pretends that you are. Your God is a liar."

_________

Summarized: Forgiveness by thirds is not entirely forgiven. If your sins did make victims they have to forgive you. If they don't... Whatever theological system you built around it, it won't suffice. Xianity fails in one of its main purposes.

Your post illustrates one of the great paradoxes of christianity. I've yet to hear a christian give a rational reason for this scenario. Usually you will get the "but the murderer has to TRULY repent and accept Jesus"...whatever the hell that means. It doesn't solve the paradox.

Another similar paradox...your murderer can seek and be granted forgiveness (and yes TRULY seek forgiveness), yet an atheist who never harms a fly gets thrown into the frying pan. Usually the "free will" response is given to this one. (As a side note, the free will doctrine really cracks me up. God gives me free will but then gets pissed when I use it. Just take it back man!...but anyway).

One of my favorite Catholic teachings: One who hears god's word and rejects it gets fried, but one who never hears god's word (picture some guy living in a cave his whole life or something) as a mere mortal does not. Here's the real kicker, this person who never hears god's word will be presented with it at the "pearly gates" and then have an opportunity to to either accept it or reject it.

What the fuck? The person who never hears it gets to have god/Jesus himself appear and give you the "good" news? What the hell to I get? All I have is a book of random chapters written thousands of years ago by people that I've never seen, and then has been selectively edited over time to conform with whatever the message is supposed to be? Yes, I know there are supposed apparations and what not, but I've never seen a damn thing. All these Mary apparations look like vaginas to me.

None of it makes sense, but not much about christianity or religion in general makes sense. There's probably a good reason for that...it's bullshit.

Conditional Second Chance

Here's the real kicker, this person who never hears god's word will be presented with it at the "pearly gates" and then have an opportunity to to either accept it or reject it.
Yes, you're right. I never realized the consequences of having a second chance for a set of people on earth: discrimination. It's good for them that they will have that second chance, but why not all people? Good point.