Goodbye Jesus

Grr.

Crazycatlady

This morning I was eating breakfast at my college cafeteria with C. (a very good friend of mine, brought up without any religious indoctrination) when J. came up and joined us. J. and I have had classes together before and have briefly discussed religion (ie. he knows, or at least, should know that I was indirectly abused by the RCC). Anyway, I introduced C. and J. and we had a lovely conversation until JA came up and started talking religion with J. (Basically, them both saying how much god is in their lives, etc.). That part wasn't actually too bad -- C. and I exchanged glances and chatted with eachother. JA didn't stay long anyway. When he left, C., J. and I continued our light-hearted conversation... unitl J. went to leave and said "Hey, I know this is going to sound corny" (at which point I thought "Damm, you just had to go there didn't you?) "but Jesus really loves you both." C. and I looked determinedly away from eachother until J. left at which point C. said "Everybody else thinks you're an asshole." We both laughed and then started talking about Star Trek and Star Wars. But that comment still pissed me off. I was also hurt that J. didn't remember (didn't care?) that "Jesus" is a negative-trigger word for me.

I suppose I should bring this up with my therapist on Friday.

What else to expect from a preprogrammed morontheist robot? :Hmm:

Well it sounds like you handled it pretty well, making a joke out of it and everything. It was a dumb thing of him to say.

And why do xtians presume to know everything about what Jesus thinks such that they can speak on authority for him anyway?

• Super Moderator

I would have made the joke before he left.

Verbal harassment is part of the doctrine. Most of them do not see it cuz their brains are run via anal probes from the mother ship.

Pretty much what Heretic just said.

I would probably have said something like "the second thoughts you were having about saying that should have been a sign you shouldn't say it."

I remember the mindset where the obligation to say something for God felt heavy. Heavier than the burden to not say something that I knew I had no right to say to someone.

It doesn't mean I should have been able to get away with it. Just like current Christians.

Coming here never fails to make me grateful for the fact I was never That Guy. Several of my best friends growing up were non-LDS, and really only nominally religious at best. It never even occurred to me to try to evangelize like that, as I knew it would just annoy them.

I agree with Florduh. I'd have made the joke before he left.

Makes me think the next time someone tells me that Jesus loves me i'll reply.

Me love Jesus too! He make me so horny! Me love Jesus long time! Jesus numbah 1, way beaucoup love tool!

J asking you that is about as ignorant as asking a blind person if they saw American Idol last night.

What confused me was how much that comment upset me. I ended up writing a four page document this morning trying to figure it out, but didn't until this afternoon (possible TMI)

when I got my period.

Well, it sounds as though it was handled well-enough. I'd let it slide for now - the next time this person tries to pull that, then I think you'd be okay to calmly respond that you would prefer to not have evangelism directed towards yourself or your friend. If that doesn't work, there's always that plethora of insults which would work at a moment's notice.