Goodbye Jesus

Why I left Christianity and God belief.

EdwardAbbey

I de-converted or went apostate from fundamentalist Xtianity a couple of years ago because I finally came to the conclusion that the god of the bible is nothing more than an imaginary entity that was invented by humans who surrendered their minds to ignorance and didn't have the intellectual capacity to know any better. But I guess we can't blame them. Just how would we react if we never saw a bolt of lightening before? Wouldn't we too invent a God? The sad thing about god belief is, people today still surrender their minds to the same ignorance, isn't that a real kick in the ass? I find it quite mind bobbling to say the least. you'd think people in modern times today would apply a little more intellectual honesty and critical thought to the point where they would come to their senses and reject such craziness as seen in the bible. :scratch:

I don't really want to go into a long rant about my loss of faith and deconversion, so I'll just touch on some of the hilites about my paridigm shift and walking away from fundamentalism and eventually on to agnositicism to atheism.

To make a long story short, a couple years ago I started to read a lot of essays from atheists and freethinkers from the web that I found very interesting and I was amazed at how much sense they expressed about why religion, Chrisitianity and god belief was so bogus and rediculous. I also read a few deconversion stories from other believers who lost their faith in the bible and Christianity and it got me to thinking a little more critically about why I believed in all this shit in the bible. In my mind I knew I was starting to think more like an unbeliever and it brought me to the point where I would actually challenge my fellow Christians by asking them questions. As time went on I knew I was either an agnostic or an atheist. In fact even after I realized I was an atheist I didn't even like the idea of identifying myself as such. I remained in the closet for some time until I finally had to come out with it because I felt like I was living the life of something that I was not.

Anyway, that's more or less the condensed version of my loss of faith for now. No need to bore everyone with too many details. In short it was the tool of reason and critical thought that brought me to my senses about following a belief system that was based on primitive mythology, fables and fairy tales. That said, leaving Christianity was like being let out of the prision of, mental captivity, mind control and religious indoctrination.

I couldn't think of a username when registering here right off so I started to think about famous atheists of the past who's writtings I like to read, so I chose Edward Abbey. I like these quotes in particular by him that I find not only true but humorous as well:

"God is a sound people make when they are too tired to think anymore."

Not sure if that is the exact quote but it's close. But here is another one of my favorites by him:

"Whatever we cannot easily understand we call God; this saves much wear and tear on the brain tissues"

I'm thrilled to actually find a website with former Christians who have experienced the same or similar things that I have while they were believers and eventually walked away from theism. I think I'm going to like it here. Thanks for having me. We all need to encourage one another as we enter into the real world of reason and logic once again.

It's not easy being an atheist in this God soaked society we live in. Especially in the bible belt that I live in.

A warm welcome to you EdwardAbbey,

I'm sure you will like it here.

Welcome, Edward Abbey. I well know that feeling of being thrilled in discovering this site.

Good for you for reclaiming your life from anti-reason.

Dive in somewhere here and have fun.

Thanks guys for the nice friendly welcome.

I especially like the female avatar selections here.

Welcome, EdwardAbbey!

Since you like to read... shall we say, damning things on Christianity, you might enjoy the archived articles from this site. There's a lot of fun reading there.

Again, welcome, and enjoy the site. I'm looking forward to reading more of your stuff.

Loren

"Whatever we cannot easily understand we call God;  this saves much wear and tear on the brain tissues"

I believe that man, faced with his personal disconcerting fears, eventually and inevitably, writes the answers himself for the questions with which he cannot live. He does, in fact, design his own god.

Welcome EdwardAbbey! Make yourself at home. You will not regret taking Loren up on his suggestion to read the archived articles at Ex-C.

-Reach

I believe that man, faced with his personal disconcerting fears, eventually and inevitably, writes the answers himself for the questions with which he cannot live. He does, in fact, design his own god.

Welcome EdwardAbbey! Make yourself at home. You will not regret taking Loren up on his suggestion to read the archived articles at Ex-C.

-Reach

Yea I have checked out some of those essays/articles, they are very interesting. Actually my real name is Jim, sometimes I go by James. I've been engaging in discussions with fundies at a xtain board for the past couple of years and I think I'm almost at the point of burn out with those folks. It's a refreshing change in here though.

Jim

note:

btw, I was wondering if there is a way to keep track my posts/threads that I start in this forum? I haven't noticed anything like that yet. I'd appreciate it if you can steer me in the right direction or if there is such a feature here.

note:

btw, I was wondering if there is a way to keep track my posts/threads that I start in this forum?  I haven't noticed anything like that yet.  I'd appreciate it if you can steer me in the right direction or if there is such a feature here.

If you click on your name you can view posts made by that user starting with the newest.

It may not be exactly what you were looking for but I've never had trouble using that to manually track my topics.