Goodbye Jesus

Intelligent Design Makes Sense

Reverend AtheiStar

http://www.statenews.com/op_article.phtml?pk=36656

Intelligent design makes sense, complexity of life not accidental

Not long ago, President Bush got some folks upset when he suggested teaching intelligent design alongside the theory of evolution in our educational institutions. Academics nationwide are aghast at what they say is a mixing of science and religion.

They forecast the decline of science into a medieval morass.

But this is really not a problem. The whole controversy can be settled by the ordinary house cat.

All one has to do is take any ordinary cat as a model and make a copy. This will prove or disprove evolutionary theory.

But you have to start from scratch. No Frankenstein kitties allowed or spare paws from the pound. But you can go to the store and buy whatever you want — flour, lumber, electric motors, asphalt shingles — whatever. But just go ahead and try to make a cat from scratch.

Now, I don't want to hear any excuses from you. It really can't be that hard to make a cat. The world is full of them. People are giving them away in the newspapers every day.

And note that I am not asking you to create a cat — simply to copy one from scratch. Cloning, in that it takes biological material from an existing cat, is not legal in this contest.

Copying is pretty simple. Someone has already done all the engineering and design work, and tested it. It already works. You just have to copy what they already did.

People in Taiwan are making fake Rolexes every day.

In Russia, people are churning out copies of DVDs faster than you can say Blockbuster.

Copying must not be that hard.

Now it must be fair to say that no one in the world has copied a cat yet. You will be the first. I also must add, to be fair, that no one has ever copied a single living thing, again, from scratch. But don't let that bother you.

After all, evolutionists say it all happened by accident. So if you try to do it on purpose, with a living cat as a model, it should be quite a breeze.

Okay. You have had some time now and may have discovered that it is not so easy to copy a cat. By now you have probably determined that, in fact, the smartest scientists in the world would love to copy a cat and just can't. It is too hard.

Now, it takes far less time to copy than it does to create, and far less thought, too. For instance, you can copy the sheet music of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony on a copy machine in a few minutes, and never even know about inverted Cmaj7 chords.

But we can't even copy the cat.

Our best scientists can't even copy a potato. This is embarrassing.

So, on the cat scale for intelligence, we are in the basement. Not only can we not create a cat, we can't even copy it.

If a little hairy creature is so advanced that we cannot copy it deliberately, it could not have arisen by accident.

Despite this obvious fact, evolutionary theory argues that it was created by a series of fortunate mutations. Now that is a funny phrase. "Fortunate mutation" is an oxymoron. No one I know wishes for a mutation.

Mutations are not fortunate, but inevitably bad, and go by names like "cancer" and "birth defect." Mutations are not good, no matter what the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Spider-Man may say.

Evolutionary theory is based on the faith belief that millions of such fortunate mutations have occurred, sequentially. This is statistically impossible. It makes Darwin's theory more of a religious belief than science.

If there are truly scientists who believe Darwin's theory, then perhaps they could prove their faith by volunteering to become genetic mutants.

I am not holding my breath for any to volunteer.

This is a tacit admission that there is an intelligence in the universe far in advance of us. This is just common sense. To ignore the obvious is not good science, and to preclude research or a scientific theory because we don't like the conclusion is worse.

Intelligent design does not require the espousing of any religious belief. It only recognizes the obvious — that the incredible complexity of biological life is not accidental, but instead shows evidence of intelligent design.

All intelligent design proponents ask is that it be examined on a scientific basis, just as we do now with its competitor, Darwin's theory of evolution.

Kerby Rials is an alumnus of the MSU School of Journalism (1978). Reach him at kerbyrials@aol.com.

I love it! Scientists can't do it, so it's not possible! IDers make me giggle a special kind of giggle

I love it! Scientists can't do it, so it's not possible! IDers make me giggle a special kind of giggle

Yeah, this person is pretty loopy. I can't even see how the ability to make a cat has anything to do with evolution. Can we make a god or a goddess? No? Ok, deities don't exist. Wow, I've been wasting my time with such complex arguments this whole time! I think I'll email our good buddy with that one! lol...

This is what I sent Kerby:

The whole controversy can be settled by the ordinary house deity, Yahweh.

All one has to do is take any ordinary god as a model and make a copy. This will prove or disprove Intelligent Design theory.

But you have to start from scratch. No Frankenstein deities allowed and no spare gods from other religions. But you can go to the store and buy whatever you want — flour, lumber, electric motors, asphalt shingles — whatever. But just go ahead and try to make a god from scratch.

It can't be that hard! There are over 10,000 religions on the planet currently! Just about everyone and their mother has some kind of a deity, be it a god, a goddess or a pantheon of gods and goddesses! In fact, it seems quite natural for our species to make these projections of ourselves. And are they ever useful! You could never get a good man to do evil so easily when it's for his god. Just ask any Nazi, some of the most devout Christians the world has ever seen! Gott Mitt Uns, anyone?

~Reverend AtheiStar

www.reverendatheistar.com

Good point

Scientists can't copy a cat? What about cloning? I think scientists could someday be able to create a cat this guy hasn't been studying what scientists been doing lately very much. How this proves god created cats is a mysterie. I could easily say prove the universe isn't some alien kids science project and the universe isn't in a fish tank growing off a moldy tooth like in the simpsons holloween episode were lisa's tooth growed a society of germs. :lmao:

Tell us what kerby says.

Good point

Scientists can't copy a cat? What about cloning? I think scientists could someday be able to create a cat this guy hasn't been studying what scientists been doing lately very much. How this proves god created cats is a mysterie. I could easily say prove the universe isn't some alien kids science project and the universe isn't in a fish tank growing off a moldy tooth like in the simpsons holloween episode were lisa's tooth growed a society of germs. :lmao:

Tell us what kerby says.

I don't know if it was accidental (typo) or intelligently designed, but the stupid email doesn't work. So, I sent what I wrote to the editor. Maybe it'll get published.

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

Brilliant! Utterly brilliant! I gotta start reading my bible again, cause I just tried to make a goddamned cat and I ended up with a hellish skinless writhing ratlike mass of bloody pain. I tried again and all I got was a 42 lb pile of gelatinous veined fat that sort of resembled a mini-Rush Limbaugh (no tasty pharmeceuticals inside, though, much to my dismay). Hell, I even managed to make something that was sort of like if you glued 1000 flies together by the tips of their butts. I animated it and it flew apart in all directions, but for a moment the sound was really cool. But my point is, no fucking cats. No matter how much tobasco I added, no cats. This guy is a genius. Lord, please forgive me.

Brilliant! Utterly brilliant! I gotta start reading my bible again, cause I just tried to make a goddamned cat and I ended up with a hellish skinless writhing ratlike mass of bloody pain. I tried again and all I got was a 42 lb pile of gelatinous veined fat that sort of resembled a mini-Rush Limbaugh (no tasty pharmeceuticals inside, though, much to my dismay). Hell, I even managed to make something that was sort of like if you glued 1000 flies together by the tips of their butts. I animated it and it flew apart in all directions, but for a moment the sound was really cool. But my point is, no fucking cats. No matter how much tobasco I added, no cats. This guy is a genius. Lord, please forgive me.

LMAO!!!! We should all wear the official t-shirt with pride:

NO CATS?

NO EVOLUTION!

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

Hold the phone! I just made a fully formed juvenile rhinoceros penis with it's own crude nervous and digestive system. I'm working on giving it eyes, and maybe taping some cat fur to it. I'll figure this out. You watch.

I just thought of something.

Ok, something always comes from something is that right?

Cats from other cats, dogs from other dogs and humans from other humans.

To keep from saying something over and over I'll say 1 + 1=2 so for two to exist there had to be 1 and 1. to build a cat I would need the stuff that makes up a cat. Here is where I am going with this.

Whoever, whatever created the universe had to come from something before that. whether it be a god, white hole, or what ever.

So, the ongly one god theory intelligent design wants to use don't exist by that theory cause something has to come from something.

Ok, to go further the bible says there was nothing then god made the universe basicly.

Ok, what'd this god do to make the universe were was his supplies? were did god come from?

What's so funny about the intelligent design theory is people use the bible to explain it when by the theorys own definition something had to come from something makes the bible untrue.

if god made the universe he had to of had something to make it with and god had to of came from another god. this theory defeats itself by its own belief.

Arrrrggghhhh why is it these creationist/ID arguments are so retarded on so many intricate levels you don't even know where to begin to unravel it? Like it was written with provoking an emotional reaction in mind. Seriously, do these people have masters' degreees in psuedologic?

It's a mental card trick. I've seen amazing card tricks, but just sleight of hand nonetheless.

Its already been done. From virus to cat is only a matter of degree.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/2003-...life-usat_x.htm

Scientists create a virus that reproduces

By Elizabeth Weise, USA TODAY

It is the stuff of science fiction and bioethical debates: The creation of artificial life. Up until now, it's largely been just that.

But an important technical bridge towards the creation of such life was crossed Thursday when genomics pioneer Craig Venter announced that his research group created an artificial virus based on a real one in just two weeks' time.

When researchers created a synthetic genome (genetic map) of the virus and implanted it into a cell, the virus became "biologically active," meaning it went to work reproducing itself.

Venter cautioned that the creation of artificial human or animal life is a long way off because the synthetic bacteriophage — the virus that was created — is a much simpler life form. Bacteriophages are viruses that infect bacteria.

The project was funded in part by the Department of Energy, which hopes to create microbes that would capture carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, produce hydrogen or clean the environment.

But the questions ethicists have raised about such work are numerous: Should we be playing God? Does the potential for good that new life forms may have outweigh the harm they could do?

Arthur Caplan, who heads the University of Pennsylvania's Center for Bioethics, says yes. This technology "is impressive. It's powerful and it should be treated with humility and caution," Caplan says, "But we should do it."

A genome is made up of DNA "letters," or base pairs, that combine to "spell" an individual's chromosomes. The human genome project was completed in April.

This summer, researchers at Venter's Institute for Biological Energy Alternatives bought commercially available strands of DNA and, using a new technology, coaxed them together to form a duplicate of the genome of a bacteriophage called phi X.

"It's a very important technical advance," says Gerald Rubin, a molecular geneticist at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. "You can envision the day when one could sit down at a computer, design a genome and then build it. We're still inventing the tools to make that happen, and this is an important one."

Venter notes the synthetic bacteriophage has 5,000 base pairs in its genome. The human genome has 3 billion, so similar work in human form probably won't happen in this decade, he says.

To date, the largest genome that was synthesized was the 7,500-base-pair polio virus. But that was only semi-functional and took three years to complete.

The researchers chose to put the new technology into the public domain for all scientists to use. It will appear in the next few weeks on the Web site of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The technology raises safety issues, says David Magnus of Stanford's Center for Biomedical Ethics. Even putting it in the public domain is "a double-edged sword," he says. That presumes that allowing everyone access will keep the good guys ahead of the bad guys. "It's a gamble. ... It's a bet that everyone has a stake in," he says.

Arrrrggghhhh why is it these creationist/ID arguments are so retarded on so many intricate levels you don't even know where to begin to unravel it? Like it was written with provoking an emotional reaction in mind. Seriously, do these people have masters' degreees in psuedologic?

It's a mental card trick. I've seen amazing card tricks, but just sleight of hand nonetheless.

It's a non sequieter to say that "man can't make a cat, therefore the cat was designed intelligently."

Maybe we can confuse this fundy's evidently miniscule mind further by

asking the question, "If gawd is all-powerful, could he create a rock so

large that even he couldn't lift it?"

ARGH!

These things make me irate. They always make the same assumptions:

Darwin is the ONLY source on the topic of evolution.

Evolution is CHANCE.

Scientists should be able to DO everything they say has happened.

AHHHHHHHH! MY HEAD IS GOING TO BLOW!

Okay, I'm alright. Nice article.

http://www.statenews.com/op_article.phtml?pk=36656

Intelligent design makes sense, complexity of life not accidental

This is all based on a logic argument, and a poor one at that. It's an even stupider version of the watchmaker argument.

Intelligent Design suggests purposeful intentions in the design. That is not what you see in nature, only in man made products such as the watch. Nature is all about adaptive purpose. We walk on two feet because we can and it served us, but we sure as hell were not designed specifically for that purpose. If we were, what does that say about the abilities of the designer?!

The analogy would be more like a jungle person finding a watch with no hands. They pick it up and discover they can use it to make a unique sound by tapping on the back with a rock. It then becomes a specific communication tool. Was it designed to be a signaling device? No, but to the jungle man who has never seen it, he will consequently now endow its creator with all sorts of specific thought behind its creation. “It cannot be an accident; it was left here for us to better talk to each other. This proves its creator loves us!”

So it is with man looking at the naturally occurring creative processes of Nature, and project some sort intent behind our adopted purpose, and anthropomorphize it to the point of claiming it actually loves us. “Thank you Oh Great River for digging this really cool trench for me to ride my ATV in! This proves your Intellegence and love for me!”

In the big scheme of life, I don't really see any purpose for this guy's thoughts, outside being a source of ridicule to the whole world.

Yeah, this person is pretty loopy. I can't even see how the ability to make a cat has anything to do with evolution. Can we make a god or a goddess? No? Ok, deities don't exist. Wow, I've been wasting my time with such complex arguments this whole time! I think I'll email our good buddy with that one! lol...

Yes. It's a very bad argument.

50 years ago, no one could make a cell phone. And yes, they didn't exist then, but they do exist today, so nothing was wrong with the idea or the theory, but the ability wasn't there yet.

The scientists are in the process of creating the technology and machines to "handmade" design of DNA. So in a few years we might be able to, but then the moralist-preachers will push the government to block that kind of research.

It's a non sequieter to say that "man can't make a cat, therefore the cat was designed intelligently."

Wait a minute, doesn't that insinuate that "man is not intelligent", since man can't make a cat and the cat is an intelligent design?

If "man" is not intelligent, how can we claim to even know what intelligence is, and it exists and created something? If we're stupid, than how can we be smart to understand something to be intelligent? It's like saying that ants must know humans exist and how we look like and that we're smarter, only because ants are not as smart as us, they're dumb.

Maybe it looks intelligent to the author of the article, just because the author himself isn't so smart? hehe...

Hold the phone! I just made a fully formed juvenile rhinoceros penis with it's own crude nervous and digestive system. I'm working on giving it eyes, and maybe taping some cat fur to it. I'll figure this out. You watch.

Way to go! Evolution may be true, after all! It all hinges on this folks!