Jump to content

TheRedneckProfessor

Super Moderator
  • Content Count

    7,477
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    255

Everything posted by TheRedneckProfessor

  1. https://undsci.berkeley.edu/search/imagedetail.php?id=175&topic_id=&keywords= https://www.genome.gov/genetics-glossary/Mitochondrial-DNA https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-differences-between-mitochondrial-and-nuclear-DNA "Therefore it is much easier to locate recent changes in populations, for example the migrations out of Africa in the last 200,000 years, or the ethnic backgrounds of different African races, using mitochondrial DNA. In contrast nuclear DNA has fewer fine mutations that can be used as a map for recent events (in the last million years, say)."
  2. A list and description of Roman holidays: https://www.unrv.com/culture/roman-festivals.php
  3. Umm... he is responding and he is attempting to contribute. The very point Walt is making here is that you are not responding... or, rather, that you are being disingenuously selective in your responses. Straighten up now, son. Y'hear?
  4. The same appears to be true for god/jesus Please support this claim. In what sense? Non-sequitur.
  5. To speak to your point, though: flipping a coin actually gives better odds than prayer. With a coin, there is a 50% chance of getting the desired result; because there are only 2 possible outcomes. Prayer has 3 potential outcomes: "yes," "no," or "wait." This yields only a 33.3% chance of obtaining the desired result--16.7% lower than flipping a coin. One can increase one's odds by praying for things that are likely to happen anyway. "lord, please let my paycheck come in on Friday." One can also increase the odds by redefining what is being prayed for. "lord, please let me find a good parking spot." "Good" could mean a spot close to the building; or it could mean a spot further away but under a nice shady tree. But when it comes to making decisions, like should I take this new job or try to get a promotion at my current job, a coin is much simpler, less confusing, and just as effective as prayer.
  6. I disagree with this. Even if you get tails when you wanted heads, you still have a coin that you can go spend based on its inherent value as legal tender. When prayer doesn't work, you've got nothing at all of any value. Just a lot of wasted time, effort, and oxygen.
  7. Now here's one for the books. Not too far from where I live there are snake handling churches--churches where they literally pick up snakes as an act of worship. Not just little ol' garden snakes, either; they handle timber rattlers, copperheads, cottonmouths: the real poison boys. So, a few years back, a preacher got bit in one of these churches. Bit bad by a rattler. Well, he refused to go to the doctor, or even let anybody call an ambulance for him. No, instead, you guessed it, he had the church folks gather around him and lay their hands on him for his healing. They prayed over him for hours as he slowly slipped into oblivion on account of the rattler venom. He went on to be with the lord that night. Reckon heaven needed another idiot.
  8. Pre-, post-, or a-millenial? lord jesus, please tell us which it is.
  9. Obviously the more astute among us will be voting for Kanye.
  10. I disagree. There is s huge difference between salvation by grace through faith and salvation by faith through works. So huge, in fact, that if we can be saved through works, then faith is not necessary. And if we can be saved by faith alone, then there is no motivation for doing good. These two concepts can become mutually exclusive. My church attempted to marry the two contradictory concepts by teaching that we were saved through faith but would be judged according to our works. There would be a lesser reward in heaven for people who only used their faith to volunteer at soup kitchens and battered women's shelters; but bigly rewards for people who used their faith to vote Republican and use the N-word in public. This is really something an omniscient god should have clarified, if he wanted us to understand.
  11. I reluctantly agree. From a legal perspective, I think people should have an expectation of privacy in their own homes. But the reality is that if anybody with a cellphone is within earshot, then anything you say can, and will, be used against you.
  12. For my part, I will say that a person should not be fired from a job for something they say off-the-clock and away from the company premises. However, if it is said within a public domain, whether it be at Publix or on TikTok, it is a different matter, from the perspective of the employer. Because people often make common knowledge of who they work for; and, as a result, their employees are a reflection of their company. A recent example would be Stabby Harvard Girl. Her biggest mistake was simply making a really bad analogy. But making bad analogies isn't a crime; if it was I'd be like a horse with 3 legs attempting to win the ultimate fighter championship. I do not think she should have been fired for what she said; but taking to social media to say it put her company in a difficult position. Many of her followers knew which company she worked for; she made no secret of how much she wanted a position there. The company can more easily afford to lose a good employee than it can its reputation. Besides which, I would reckon a person stupid enough to post something like that on social media would probably also be intellectually deficient in other ways that might more directly impact the company. While I tend to agree with the sentiment her poor analogy was meant to express, I also think the company was absolutely justified in viewing her as a liability and treating her accordingly, especially considering that she was still an intern. https://news.yahoo.com/harvard-grad-says-she-fired-125450691.html
  13. Haha. Don't sweat it. I don't usually talk about that side of my life; so it does tend to catch people off guard.
  14. It's actually true. Oddly enough, getting into recovery is what led me to agnosticism; and, more recently, re-opened the door to spirituality. On a sad note, though. You're right; many of the people I know from college ended up involved in some kind of addiction, while the rest are still addicted to jesus. The behavior patterns are the same; but, instead of crack or porn, they get their fix from their imaginary friend.
  15. Keep in mind thay your only responsibility here is acknowledging your wrong and apologizing for it. Should they choose not to accept your apology, then you have done everything you can do and you bear no further responsibility.
  16. Did I mention I graduated from Southeastern?
  17. Something similar happened to me. Similar; but not exact. I suddenly opened up to the desire to become a better person purely for the benefit of being a better person. This, in turn, opened me up to meditation (a practice I had publicly scorned prior) as a means of staying in touch with myself, as I tend to lose myself in work and family. I won't say I feel some sense of overwhelming love for everything and everyone; but I do feel slightly less repulsed by people, places, and things. Joking, of course. I feel more compassion and empathy. In this regard, I think @Weezer might be on to something. I was a very compassionate child before life started kicking my teeth in. Now that I have gotten comfortable with the idea that I am in control of life and life doesn't control me, I can start to express that sensitive little kid who has always been there. He's missed the sun and the smell of freshly plowed fields. Also, he has really weird tastes in music, so fuck him.
  18. Guilt is a very big part of the christian religion. It is one of the tools christians use to keep people in the church; and it is very powerful. It is natural to still feel guilt long after leaving the religion; because guilt becomes such a major part of your christian life. Overcoming the guilt you feel may take time; because it has become ingrained into your way of thinking. However, going directly to the people we have wronged, apologizing, and asking for the opportunity to make amends often helps out a great deal.
  19. Do you have any evidence that jesus existed as described in the scripture?
  20. Hey, welcome back. A lot of the old gang are still around; plus some new ones. I, too, have recently begun to adopt a post-christian spirituality, though it's not as yet very well defined.
  21. Yes; but god's ways are not man's ways. Because he's mysterious and shit.
  22. SV was informed from the very beginning that preaching, quoting scripture, proselytizing, and such were only allowed in the Den. Several of his posts had to be deleted, due to their content. The very thread you're currently using to plead his case had to be moved into the Den as a direct result of SV's scripture quoting; this thread was originally in the Got Questions forum. I gave SV several warnings, myself, before taking any direct action. He was shown every respect and his case was handled as diplomatically as it could be. Our rules exist to protect those still struggling with deconversion. When the rules are not followed, we have to protect them. If @SilentVoice has any complaints, he's welcome to come back and make his case himself.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.