Goodbye Jesus

The Clergy - Moral Duty?

padhyde

I use the term Clergy to cover all those who hold formal office within a church. A recent testimony was from a person holding such office who was uncertain about the action he should take having concluded that he had lost his belief. It is shocking to think that there may be many people who continue to preach and influence others while not believing what they are saying. Can there be a greater moral crime than to continue to express a belief in the divine while having lost that belief?

The testimony of ex clergy is perhaps the most compelling of all. Many people will be reassured that someone who really knows the bible and church teachings can speak out about the reasons for their loss of belief. People like Dan Baker have probably helped many people towards understanding.

The Church is guilty of breathtaking hypocracy about many things but for individual clergy to remain in office when not believing the central tenets of their religion is beyond the pale.

I would feel betrayed if I found out that a mentor who had guided me on one path had switched to its antithesis and not told me. So, from the POV of the congregation, I agree with what you're saying.

Deconverting clergy are between the proverbial rock and hard place, earning a living from their words. The stress of deconversion is bad enough; the fear of plunging one's family into poverty makes it worse. Dropping the clergy duties requires a major career change, so I can understand why so many people try to hang on as long as they can.

For the sake of both sides, what we need is a support system for clergy who want to leave their religions. Ideas?

That is a really difficult situation, especially because they usually do not have any other skills or college education besides bibling. I would suggest they go to community college or trade school on the side, then suddenly switch to their new life.

I use the term Clergy to cover all those who hold formal office within a church. A recent testimony was from a person holding such office who was uncertain about the action he should take having concluded that he had lost his belief. It is shocking to think that there may be many people who continue to preach and influence others while not believing what they are saying. Can there be a greater moral crime than to continue to express a belief in the divine while having lost that belief?

The testimony of ex clergy is perhaps the most compelling of all. Many people will be reassured that someone who really knows the bible and church teachings can speak out about the reasons for their loss of belief. People like Dan Baker have probably helped many people towards understanding.

The Church is guilty of breathtaking hypocracy about many things but for individual clergy to remain in office when not believing the central tenets of their religion is beyond the pale.

Interesting post. I live in a small town, total area pop around 80,000. I can name so many priests throughout my lifetime that left either because they got married, became indicated in sexual abuse, had nervous breakdowns or just got fed up with Rome and the Diocese. Parishes are combining due to lack of attendance,schools are closing and they keep praying for FUCKIN vocations!!!! Good luck!