Goodbye Jesus

Why Do You Disbelieve?

garrisonjj

I am interested in knowing what your main reason is for disbelief in jeezuz/god? I have found the concept to be nonexistent/irrelevant in my life. Thanks

The jebus cult (and, as far as I can tell, the mohamed, jehoover and krishna cults too) fails even the fundamental test of self-consistency. I don't mind religious statements and beliefs being unverifiable, but if they're so painfully absurd... :fdevil:

For me it was the realization that God was unnecessary to explain the world around me. The mind has amazing powers on it's own. I admit, I have no explanation for the beginning of life/the universe. I claim ignorance in that area. But upon consideration of our beginnings, I have found it is safe to claim ignorance, in that with a matter so complicated and full of possiblities, it could have been anything. That and also seeing the contradictions and inconsistancy of the Bible. Those reasons combined were enough to eliminate the belief of Christianity as a whole for me.

Initially, it was Paul. Protestant Christians hold his letters in such high esteem that his writings nearly surpass the gospels. Then I read about how Paul pretty much didn't have any place in the Bible because he didn't know Jesus and probably wasn't a Pharisee like he claimed, and suddenly I was able to break through that idea that everything in the Bible was justified even if it didn't make sense at first glance. At that point I simply held that Paul was a dick who never should have been included in the Bible.

Then I thought about it more. I'd been taught that the Bible was the inerrant word of God and that he would keep it from having any sort of errors in it. So... if that was the case... how did Paul slip through? What else had gotten in there that wasn't from God?

So I ceased giving the Bible credit.

There is no rational reason that allows for me to accept the Bible.

Promises and guarantees in the Bible didn't match reality. To make up all these addition excuses to explain away the meaning of what the Bible said made me doubt. And when I prayed for more faith, I didn't get an answer to this most fundamental need. How can I have faith, when God is the giver of faith, and you have to ask for it, but he doesn't give it when you do? I ended up empty of belief, but full of the feelings of freedom.

There's no rational basis that compels it, and whatever evidence there is inclines against it (contradictions in Bible, etc.). Then, when prayers aren't answered, Christianity oppresses people, etc. etc. there's no emotional reason for it either (certainly not for me at any rate). So nothing's left. And it's nice not to be looking at everyone as either saved or unsaved all the time.

I realized that the only reasons I believed were because other people beleived and other people told me it was true.

I also don't like the bible.

I also have never felt the prescense of anything supernatural (god, jesus)

I also have had all of my prarie quests not answered

I also have realized that every single accomplishment in my life as a xtian or not was directly caused by me and only me.

There are so many reasons that swirl around and complement each other, such as the Babble's™ contradictions and errors, the impossibility of an all-powerful and all-good god to exist (meaning that Biblegodzilla is a powerless fraud even if the Abrahamic entity does exist), and so on.

But for me, the main reason (though aided and abetted by the others) is that Jeezus™ simply deserves no worship or honor in the slightest from me. Why should he? He threatens to eternally torture all those who do not please him (regardless of even if they are Xians), he asks a myraid of unnatural and sick things from me (like pacifism, placing him above even my family and loved ones), and in all other respects displays the behavior of a deranged cult leader, unstable and insane. I see no reason I should honor a phony-baloney "god" like that, much less over and above my loved ones, my ancestral Gods, and my self.

I disbelieve simply because the bitch isn't good enough for me.

My primary reasons for disbelieving:

- Preposterous and vicious-minded mythology.

- Consider "Original Sin" to be a slander against all of humanity.

- Can't stomach the thought of following a fear-based religion.

- Can't accept someone sacrificing themself for my sake.

- Not impressed with the people who have attempted to convert me -- I don't want to end up like them.

- No evidence of the biblical god in my life, ever.

- Really, really awful music.

- Unwilling to forgive the harm Christianity did to my ancestors.

it seems to me like people disbelieve because they love sin more than god.

False.

sure you can say you don't be;lieve for other reasons but this is the first reason.

Nope.

its the reason you start to doubt and then go about looking for things that will stiful the spirit within you and fee your doubt. so you end up with a pile of bad arguments so you don't have to believe any more, but the real reason you don't want to believe in the first place is so you can keep on sinning.

Extremely false.

Explain what is "sin".

that's what I see by the power of the holy spirit in me.

You don't have any holy spirit in you.

its all rebellion against rightiousness.

Nope.

Rather the opposite: lack of righteousness from God and his followers, and more righteousness in the people that keep an open mind and doubt the "perfect word of God".

Um. The title of this thread is "'Why Do You Disbelieve", not "W00t! Say Nasty Things to the Eeevil UnChristians." Go preach in the Lion's Den and keep your mitts off this thread, please.

it seems to me like people disbelieve because they love sin more than god. sure you can say you don't be;lieve for other reasons but this is the first reason. its the reason you start to doubt and then go about looking for things that will stiful the spirit within you and fee your doubt. so you end up with a pile of bad arguments so you don't have to believe any more, but the real reason you don't want to believe in the first place is so you can keep on sinning. that's what I see by the power of the holy spirit in me. its all rebellion against rightiousness.

Actually, it wasn't a "love of sin" that changed my mind. It was the fact that Paul is a total douchebag who made up a bunch of shit about Jesus after having a hallucination and going blind. The hallucination followed by blindness was likely a result of post traumatic stress disorder from being such a crazy bastard and killing Jesus' followers.

Since one part of the Bible is wrong, it is therefore not the perfect word of God. Why listen to the words of men as if they were God's?

1.) The bible is inconstent and contradictory...

2.) Some of the stories written defy all logic. If the Bible were written and printed today it would be considered a fantasy.

3.) The biblical God is not loving at all...

4.) The hell doctrine. Why would a loving god devise such a diabolical torcher system?

5.) God's own fallibility...He had to martyr himself to himself for himself to rectify a wrong that he himself commited...

6.) I refuse to believe and praise a god who would hate me for something, my sexuality, that is out of my control.

7.) Christians themselves...

Don't get me wrong. I still believe that there is a higher power. However, I choose to believe that that power is benevolent and filled with love and creation. I also do not believe that such a force is as personal as we are led to believe.

Maybe we are here, together, to help each other. And God put a little bit of itself in each and everyone one of us.

it seems to me like people disbelieve because they love sin more than god. sure you can say you don't be;lieve for other reasons but this is the first reason. its the reason you start to doubt and then go about looking for things that will stiful the spirit within you and fee your doubt. so you end up with a pile of bad arguments so you don't have to believe any more, but the real reason you don't want to believe in the first place is so you can keep on sinning. that's what I see by the power of the holy spirit in me. its all rebellion against rightiousness.

It seems to me like sin is the reason why most christians believe. Because they enjoy sinning.

There is no rational reason that allows for me to accept the Bible.

I agree. I don't believe in Babble God or Jebus because I have no reason to. I was a xian because that is how I was raised, once I actually started thinking I stopped believeing.

What started the ball rolling for me was studying the bible. I read the damn thing twice, front to back, and didn't even skip over books like Numbers or Deuteronomy the 2nd time around.

I used supplemental materials as well, and really tried to understand, praying a lot for guidance and enlightenment.

What I got was more confused and bewildered, trying to figure out things like what exactly do you do to get saved? And how could God kill so many people, but still be the god of love?

In the end, I slowly realized the bible was nothing more than the religious ravings of a bunch of neurotic bronze-age goatherders. It was ridiculous on the surface, and positively insane once you get deeper.

If this is the word of god, he's a mental case.

The incredible amount of confusing contradictions in the Bible, and the realization that there really was NO way Jehovah could be omnipotent or unconditionally loving. Every which way I looked, it just became more and more apperant that either humans made all this crap up as a power ploy, or that the universe was created by an entity with the worst planning skills imaginable.

I really just couldn't reconcile the idea that a god could be this much of a dumbass without having creation collapse on the seventh day.

Guest Reesa

1) I stopped believing in it when i started questioning it! The bibles contradictions and errors are too abundant to ignore!

2) I CANT STAND goodie too shoes christians.. they honestly make me sick! They seem so fake and brainwashed... like a robot.. told to say things or reply answers that thier all knowledgable preacher has instructed them to do.

3) Scaring people into a religion is VERY VERY wrong! they mess with peoples heads!

4) Their history with the inqisitions (however ya spell it)

and a lot more.... lol

Oh.. and the way women are depicted in the bible! MAKES ME FURIOUS