Goodbye Jesus

So Help You God?

KT45

"I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me god."

Like a lot of things in america it is clearly christian based and not tolerant for other religions. Of course some states allow you to not say it. I know some states allow you to address this issue before hand. But who knows how it will affect your case when the jury figures your atheist, agnostic, hindu, muslim or devil worshipper etc since he doesn't hear the oath.

This oath isn't just for courts it's also in government appointed offices. It's not offically in the president's oath of office but it is in the congressional ones.

Vice President of the United States (Executive Branch)/ Members of Congress (Legislative Branch)

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same: that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

Judges gotta say it too

Supreme Court Justices (Judicial Branch)

"I, [NAME], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as [TITLE] under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God.''

And of course in our pledge of allegiance

Pledge of Allegiance is a promise or oath of allegiance to the United States, and to its national flag. On Flag Day, June 14, 1954, Congress passed the legislation adding the phrase "under God" to the Pledge.

It is commonly recited in unison at public events, and especially in public school classrooms, where the Pledge is often a morning ritual. In its present form, the words of the Pledge are:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to The Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Well anyway does anyone have any stories with the oath? Like in court or while reciting the pledge of allegiance? Any would be politicians out there?

"GOD" is kinda generic. But, you don't have to take that oath..or any other.

JW's don't take any oaths.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it being there, its not "So help me, Jesus".

Say it or not..personal choice.

It's like "God save the Queen". It's really a phrase that makes a certain point clear (that you promise to tell the truth) and isn't neccessarily meant to be taken literally.

It wouldn't be the same if one said, "I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, and I really do mean that, too."

I could go without the swearing on the Bible, though.

It's basically just a popular catchphrase. No one really cares about it anymore.

Besides, the Christian right would make a huge stink if it were EVER removed.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it being there, its not "So help me, Jesus".

Say it or not..personal choice.

Well to me if you say "so help me God" with your hand on the bible you might as well be saying "so help me Jesus Christ lord and savior of my life"

If you chose not to say it, even if it was ahead of time secretly to a judge or a lawyer, wouldn't that hurt your case if you have a bunch of fundie jurors expecting you to say "So help me God"? In there heads they probably say "Oh no he/she didn't say so help me God. He/She might be a Jehovah's witness or worse one of those devil worshippers, you know atheist." Doesn't seem to help your case. :shrug:

T45...

Lemmie help your thinking a bit on this.

The Imaginary cannot hurt you. Swearing to the Imaginary does not help nor hurt you.

If the customs of the tribe around you is to do so, and it does not cause harm to you, and may aid your cause, swear.

If making an Oath is abhorrent to you under these circumstances, know that nothing you do makes a difference in the eternal.

"God" is a generic term that does not upset me. Got my particular preferences and convictions,and worrying about the nature of "God" and oathmaking to it isn't one of them anymore.

This is one climb up a long hill battle I won't fight, not worth dsaFatman's time.

kL