Goodbye Jesus

Recovering Church Of Christer

Guest Sal Monella

Guest Sal Monella

I just discovered this lovely place. It seems like everyone is praying to this mysterious thing in the sky and all I can do is look around at what it "created" and wonder why. I don't really know what I believe because the brainwashing was strong in my youth.

They all tell me to put my faith into this thing that did all these horrible things and killed his own son. Why would they want to worship something like that?!

My entire existance was and continues to be in tormoil. It's not as bad as it was but I want to believe someone is out there watching over me but every day I question it more and more. It is like a parachute.

Do we come thru life with the help of someone else or are we deluding ourselves with this hope? Or are the masses just reaching for anything to explain the unexplainable.

So many questions and so few answers. They say if you stop and listen, you will feel god. I don't and I have tried and tried to feel whatever it is that they feel. Are they lying? Are they on drugs? :) I never felt "connected" with this god I grew up with. I am glad there are others out there. I am in the bible belt and the preachin' is strong brothers and sisters; can you say amen?

I look forward to joining in some of the interesting discussions I have read so far. For now I will lurk some more.

I just discovered this lovely place. It seems like everyone is praying to this mysterious thing in the sky and all I can do is look around at what it "created" and wonder why. I don't really know what I believe because the brainwashing was strong in my youth.

They all tell me to put my faith into this thing that did all these horrible things and killed his own son. Why would they want to worship something like that?!

My entire existance was and continues to be in tormoil. It's not as bad as it was but I want to believe someone is out there watching over me but every day I question it more and more. It is like a parachute.

Do we come thru life with the help of someone else or are we deluding ourselves with this hope? Or are the masses just reaching for anything to explain the unexplainable.

So many questions and so few answers. They say if you stop and listen, you will feel god. I don't and I have tried and tried to feel whatever it is that they feel. Are they lying? Are they on drugs? :) I never felt "connected" with this god I grew up with. I am glad there are others out there. I am in the bible belt and the preachin' is strong brothers and sisters; can you say amen?

I look forward to joining in some of the interesting discussions I have read so far. For now I will lurk some more.

Sal,

Welcome, I'm an ex-Church of Christ Minister; if you are interested in corrispondence pm me.

chef

Welcom Sal,

Lurk around as much as you want, and we'll meet in the debates. :)

So many questions and so few answers. They say if you stop and listen, you will feel god. I don't and I have tried and tried to feel whatever it is that they feel. Are they lying? Are they on drugs? :)

My take? They are listening to their judgemental, christian fundamentalist parents when they stop and listen--ah, and the pastor. They also listen to the pastor.

Welcome to our safe place.

Welcome, Sal,

Glad you're joining us. Life is just full of questions, that's one thing that makes it interesting. But, without the burden of the oppression of christian doctrine, you can freely explore them, read the works and thoughts of others, share your own. It's one area where the journey means more than the endpoint. Here is a place where you can find lots of resources. The massive archives on this site are just chock full of things to read and places to go. Enjoy the ride!

Hi, Sal, and welcome!

Like you, "I want to believe someone is out there watching over me but every day I question it more and more" and, like you (and, to be honest, like every other human who ever has or ever will live on earth), "I have no clue" as to the existence of god. But, I do feel certain that the god depicted in the bible never existed.

And that's really a very freeing place to be -- still searching, still open to the possibility, but not restricted by arbitrary and conflicting "rules" written by hundreds of men over hundreds of years and eventually consolidated into the mish-mash that is the bible. And absolutely no fear of eternal damnation simply for having a logical and questioning mind!

That means every good act I do is done from a desire to do good and not out of a sense of fear, and that I alone bear the consequences for any bad act I do. And that, in turn, means I alone am the master of my fate. I enjoy such freedom. I hope you'll enjoy yours, as well.

Happy Independence Day!

Hi Sal

The person you most need to get you through this life is yourself. When you first realise that you have complete freedom to make all your own decisions and are absolute master of your own mind you will know what real joy is. Absolutely no one has the right to tell you what to believe or what to think. In my opinion there is no supernatural being watching over you judging your every thought and action. You are free! Be your own best friend and take good care of yourself.

Good luck.