Goodbye Jesus

My Prayer

futurekid

I would like to construct a template for a good short blessing to offer in lieu of a prayer at the family dinner table. I feel that as a well rounded, benevolent, understanding and assertive person, I should occasionally take the lead at this point despite my lack of belief in the supernatural. Here's a rough draft.

(Have everyone hold hands)

I want to let you know how great of a privilege I consider it being here with you today. We are a family and although each of us have our own personal burdens to bear, we will always be there for each other. As we prepare to eat tonight, we think of our friends and loved ones who are not here. Our hearts and minds are with them in their struggles and endeavors. Now we turn our attention to the task at hand. As we eat this meal, let us give thanks for the circumstances that allow us to enjoy such a feast. Specifically I would like to thank _______ for preparing the food. And now I suggest, Dig In!

What do you think? If you can write a better one please contribute. I just suspect a really well polished version of this might come in handy on multiple occasions. Have you ever seen anyone do something like it before?

Good friends. Good eats. Good gosh. Let's eat.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Rubba dub dub, thanks for the grub!

Rubba dub dub, thanks for the grub!

No... that's the prayer for foreplay :lmao:

I like it, but I wouldn't do it.

I like it. Taking a moment to be thankful for your food makes it taste better, even if you are just marveling at yourself for a job well done that you are able to put it there consistently.

i never understood the need to bless the food. i mean... come on!!! how many christians do you know, blessed their food for years, and still ended up with diabetes, stomach cancer, high blood pressure, obesity, simple stomach aches, clogged arteries, food poisoning, etc. etc. etc.

if this isnt a clear cut example of how prayer doesnt work, i dont know what is....

I like your prayer.

Here is mine.

Linky

Sorry, wrong link above and I can't edit so..

Here it is.

I like the prayer many Odinists use before meals...

"For food and friends, we give thanks."

Short and sweet :)

"God, we paid for this food, so thanks for nuthin'! Amen." - Bart Simpson™ :wicked:

I see no need for the charade of prayer/thanksgiving before a meal. Cook it, serve it, eat it.

That being said, if you feel you MUST say some words, do as Varokhar suggests and keep it short and sweet. His thanksgiving has no pretension and it says ALL that needs to be said.

I would like to construct a template for a good short blessing to offer in lieu of a prayer at the family dinner table. I feel that as a well rounded, benevolent, understanding and assertive person, I should occasionally take the lead at this point despite my lack of belief in the supernatural. Here's a rough draft.

(Have everyone hold hands)

I want to let you know how great of a privilege I consider it being here with you today. We are a family and although each of us have our own personal burdens to bear, we will always be there for each other. As we prepare to eat tonight, we think of our friends and loved ones who are not here. Our hearts and minds are with them in their struggles and endeavors. Now we turn our attention to the task at hand. As we eat this meal, let us give thanks for the circumstances that allow us to enjoy such a feast. Specifically I would like to thank _______ for preparing the food. And now I suggest, Dig In!

What do you think? If you can write a better one please contribute. I just suspect a really well polished version of this might come in handy on multiple occasions. Have you ever seen anyone do something like it before?

Good friends. Good eats. Good gosh. Let's eat.

That's very nic - I'll remember that.

Thanks

Sparrow

• 5 months later...
i never understood the need to bless the food. i mean... come on!!! how many christians do you know, blessed their food for years, and still ended up with diabetes, stomach cancer, high blood pressure, obesity, simple stomach aches, clogged arteries, food poisoning, etc. etc. etc.

if this isnt a clear cut example of how prayer doesnt work, i dont know what is....

I like it and I like to think of it as not blessing the food but thanking the persons who made it--their time and effort for everyone and also to be thankful that we have so much in our countries--we could be in a third world country eating something starchy 3x a day and wondering if the next bomb that hits will take our family out!!!! :shrug:

I also like the fact of taking a moment to think about our loved ones that are far away--even if there is nothing you can do--no god or whatever--we can still be caring human beings.

My grandmother had a prayer on a plaque in her kitchen:

"Good bread, good meat, good lord, let's eat."

:lmao:

I think futurekid is trying to find a compromise to keep Christian relatives happy while at the same time not compromising personal beliefs. I consider that an admirable quality for those people who can do it. As such, I think this "prayer" is a wonderful template. I would suggest that instead of looking up at God or closing eyes like we do for prayer, people should look at each other because it is not so much a prayer as a statement of table fellowship, for lack of a better term.

I agree RubySera, it is admirable. A bit longwinded, but if it keeps the peace it may be a good thing.

Susie can vouch for the fact that in our house, we take turns praying before meals but we allow everyone to pray the way they feel comfortable. Some of the kids were brought up with our former fundyism and are still comfortable with it. They pray "Dear Jesus.... In Jesus Name" like we used to. Susie prays to Father God, and I pray a short prayer to the Lord and Lady.

The kids know where we stand and we will not force them to change their beliefs because we changed ours. Of the teens, one daughter has now rejected christianity, the other is still pretty deep in it. My teen boys are still deep in it because they live with their fundy mom. We tread a little more carefully when they are here, but we don't change much. We just don't talk openly very deeply about religion in front of them. My ex would raise hell if she knew everything, and I just don't need that.

That's cool. As a mystic, I pray this way now. It's a little less kind than when I was a buhleever.

"May the forces of the universe give me what I want, keep me from any harm, and crush those who oppose me."

Probably make a Christian puke.

Shawn