Goodbye Jesus

Stand Up For Pseudoscience & Mythology

Reverend AtheiStar

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060707/sff022.html?.v=56

Discovery Institute Launches Public Education Campaign, Stand Up for Science, Stand Up for Kansas

Friday July 7, 11:54 am ET

TOPEKA, Kan., July 7 /PRNewswire/ -- "Should public schools censor scientific evidence just because it challenges Darwin's theory of evolution?" asks Robert Crowther, director of communications for Discovery Institute, a non-partisan public policy center. "Of course not. Teachers should present scientific evidence, including both the strengths and weaknesses of evolutionary theory, and that's exactly what we're supporting with the www.standupforscience.com website."

In 2005 the Kansas State Board of Education revised the state's science standards to require students to learn the full range of scientific evidence for and against biological and chemical evolution, after hearing testimony from 23 scientists and scholars about how such evidence should be presented in the classroom.

"There is now a concerted effort to censor science, to undermine the state standards, and ultimately to repeal them and replace them with dogmatic, Darwin-only science standards," said Crowther. "We think that the Kansas science standards are the best in the nation and we're committed to helping preserve them, which is why we are launching the standupforscience.com website."

At the behest of Kansas parents and teachers the Discovery Institute in July will launch the www.standupforscience.com website to help defend Kansas' science standards. At the website people who support teaching both the scientific strengths and weaknesses of evolution will be able to sign a petition supporting the state's science standards.

Crowther said that polls consistently show that an "overwhelming majority of Americans believe that when biology teachers present the scientific evidence supporting Darwin's theory of evolution, they should also teach the scientific evidence against it."

According to the Kansas State Board of Education: "Regarding the scientific theory of biological evolution, the curriculum standards call for students to learn about the best evidence for modern evolutionary theory, but also to learn about areas where scientists are raising scientific criticisms of the theory."

Kansas's approach to teaching evolution will better inform students about the facts of the scientific evidence in biology, and also require them to critically analyze the evidence so they will gain the critical thinking skills necessary to become good scientists. Four other states -- Minnesota, New Mexico, Pennsylvania and South Carolina -- have standards requiring students to learn about critical analysis of evolution already in place.

"We are confident that when Kansans hear the truth about their state's standards they will sign this petition, stand up for science, and stand up for Kansas," said Crowther.

the right does that with everything. judges,

"liberal media," every contrived issue we have to nauseatingly hear about every election cycle. on and on the spin never stops. i think its an outward showing of the inner state or something to that effect.

"liberal media," every contrived issue we have to nauseatingly hear about every election cycle. on and on the spin never stops. i think its an outward showing of the inner state or something to that effect.

I don't know enough about the local issues involved but from a distance I don't like the idea of any kind of brainwashing with children. If there are unresolved issues or highly contentious factors that form part of the subject then these should in some way form part of what is being taught.

Does anyone know of a balanced book, preferably written by an agnostic, on Darwins theory of evolution by natural selection?

My wife made a comment in relation to the direction all the latest spin seems to be aimed at from the right. It used to be communists that were the devil. Now it's the liberals. They always need, it seesm, some group to demonize, to blame all their woes on. We're no longer pinko commie scum. Now we're just godless liberals! lol... Whatever, I don't label myself politically. I'm an Atheist, an evolutionist, a naturalist and a mongomist. Politically, well, I guess I'm just waiting to be suitably impressed.

I don't know enough about the local issues involved but from a distance I don't like the idea of any kind of brainwashing with children. If there are unresolved issues or highly contentious factors that form part of the subject then these should in some way form part of what is being taught.

Does anyone know of a balanced book, preferably written by an agnostic, on Darwins theory of evolution by natural selection?

I sure do. I own the absolute best book out on the subject! It's called Intelligent Design Creationism and it's Critics: Philosophical, Theological and Scientific Perspectives edited by Robert T. Pennock. It's got articles and essays from just about every side from the hardcore Atheist Darwinian evolutionist to a very devoutly Christian theistic evolutionist to the now commonplace Intelligent Design Creationist. It's a wonderful book and it really puts you in touch with the issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know that not all Christians in Kansas are opposed to evolution-- the head of the biology department at Benedictine College is very much an evolutionist. I seem to recall that he opens the lecture on evolution with an admonition that Genesis is not scientific and therefore... (standard evolution teaching). He's a good man.

Just to let you know that not all Christians in Kansas are opposed to evolution-- the head of the biology department at Benedictine College is very much an evolutionist. I seem to recall that he opens the lecture on evolution with an admonition that Genesis is not scientific and therefore... (standard evolution teaching). He's a good man.

Ya, I know. There are the theistic evolutionists who's faith and science have hybridized! :)