Goodbye Jesus

Marijuana Smoking Does Not Cause Cancer

pandora

http://www.medpagetoday.com/AllergyImmunology/ATS/tb/3393

Despite the heavy use, "in no category was there any increased risk, nor was there any suggestion that smoking more led to a higher odds ratio," he continued. "There was no dose-response—not even a suggestion of a dose response—and in all types of cancer except one, oral cancer, the odds ratios were less than one."

It seems counterintuitive, and I'm sure they need to do a larger study, but hey... good news is good news. :close:

It's not yet peer-reviewed, but it was presented at the 2006 American Thoracic Society Annual Meeting, and it seems to have rather thorough (over a thousand participants).

There is not immediate connection between smoke (of any kind) and cancer. It's certain chemicals in certain kinds of smoke that can cause lung cancer. People like to do smores over an open fire, but we don't hear about increased risks. Maybe someone should make a study in how high risk of cancer from sitting around an open fire? And they should do it for BBQ too. I wonder if 2 minutes of BBQ smoke increases your risks of getting a heart attack?

Anyone think they will legalize pot and criminalize tobacco because of this study? :scratch:

Anyone think they will legalize pot and criminalize tobacco because of this study? :scratch:

Well, probably not in our lifetime, considering that the tobacco companies are huge campaign contributors - for both parties.

A somewhat related question: Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to quit smoking cigarettes withour giving up the marijuana. I have a friend (yeah. that's it) who needs to know.

LOL Thack, I have no idea. I am wondering the same thing myself. :HaHa: One enhances the other, for sure, so maybe a good compromise would be only to smoke cigs when one is also smoking mj.

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

There is not immediate connection between smoke (of any kind) and cancer. It's certain chemicals in certain kinds of smoke that can cause lung cancer. People like to do smores over an open fire, but we don't hear about increased risks. Maybe someone should make a study in how high risk of cancer from sitting around an open fire? And they should do it for BBQ too. I wonder if 2 minutes of BBQ smoke increases your risks of getting a heart attack?

This study is especially interesting because marijuana smoke had peviously been detemined to contain twice the concentration of carcinogens in cigarette smoke, and still no correlation. I wounder if they'll find in subsequent studies that people who smoke both cigarettes and pot also have a normal incidence of cancer. What if there is some cancer retardant quality to cannabinoids? How friggin cool would that be?

Well, probably not in our lifetime, considering that the tobacco companies are huge campaign contributors - for both parties.

A somewhat related question: Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to quit smoking cigarettes withour giving up the marijuana. I have a friend (yeah. that's it) who needs to know.

Stop smoking cigarettes but keep smoking pot. That's all there is to it. There's no trick to quitting smoking except to just not smoke. It's all the more easy when you smoke pot. When you feel like lighting up a cig, take a few hits of pot intead. Keep some cheap ass shwag around just for something to smoke.

I'm a regular pot smoker but an off and on tobacco smoker. I usually quit cigs for a year, then go for a year bumming a smoke or two here and there in bars. Then I'll full on smoke for 6 months or so and quit again. Cigarettes I can take or leave.

LOL Thack, I have no idea. I am wondering the same thing myself. :HaHa: One enhances the other, for sure, so maybe a good compromise would be only to smoke cigs when one is also smoking mj.

I'd probably get it all bass-ackwards and smoke mj only when I'm smoking cigarettes, and I don't think I'd get any work done if I smoked 20 joints a day :eek:

This study is especially interesting because marijuana smoke had peviously been detemined to contain twice the concentration of carcinogens in cigarette smoke, and still no correlation. I wounder if they'll find in subsequent studies that people who smoke both cigarettes and pot also have a normal incidence of cancer. What if there is some cancer retardant quality to cannabinoids? How friggin cool would that be?

Wow! Really? I didn't know about that study. That really makes you wonder... Just like pipes and cigars, still not evidence that smoking those will cause cancer or even if the second hand smoke causes cancer. I've been wondering about the paper cigaretts are rolled in, if the bleached paper is the big culprit?

To quit smoking I've heard replacing it with another habit like drinking water can be effective. Or the nicotine patch.

As far as not giving up pot remember it doesn't have to be smoked. Unlike tobacco it can be safely ingested or it can be vaporized (which is better than smoking if your a person that likes to stay active). With these two methods there is absolutely no chance of cancer and it is perfectly safe. Brownies anyone?

Pot should be legal anyways... so shoudl cocaine, heroine and everything for that matter. No matter what studies show what.

You risk your life by getting in a car in the morning, should cars be illegal? Certainly not... that's why we have rules and highways. Same thing with alcohol and drunk driving and being overtoxicated in public.

Ban all drugs. I am serious. Drugs is bad for everyone, especially christians who needs no temptations.

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

A half eaten jelly donut pounded into the corpse of a putrified rat is, I'm sure, far too great a temptation for your drooling troll maw.

I've never heard of 'research' stopping anyone but the tobacco companies from coughing up compensation money.

Cancer...its not the whole story anyway.

...do whatever you think is best. Its your life - your body. Legal or no.

There is some doubt about whether or not Weed is addictive...at least outside of the US. *shrugs*....

Meself.....I gave up smokin' cigs awhile ago after manyyears of smokin' both pot and tobacco. Smoking is smoking..imo its the behaviour that's the hardest to cut out not so much the addictive qualities of the drug.

I live in a country where pot is de criminalised and guns are banned...

Yay!

Wow! Really? I didn't know about that study. That really makes you wonder... Just like pipes and cigars, still not evidence that smoking those will cause cancer or even if the second hand smoke causes cancer. I've been wondering about the paper cigaretts are rolled in, if the bleached paper is the big culprit?

That and all the cyanide and rat poisons and other crap put in some cigarettes I'm sure doesn't help :ugh:

I agree with the legalization crowd. Legalizing it and other drugs would only have positive effects. It would rob the criminal underground of its profitable enterprise, for one. It would also help thin out the dregs of society; just like with booze, the people who can't control their habits, even with help, will simply kill themselves off and be out of our misery. Why waste resources on those who want to indulge in anything to the point of death, no matter how you try to help them? And those who can control their habits will be of no consequence, since they won't let their habits run their lives or cause them to ruin the lives of others. And for those who want to quit or are indeed slipping, there can be all sorts of help available, like there is today for smokers and drinkers.

Keeping it illegal only gives criminals an illegal and unregulated enterprise to profit from, actually funding their criminal lifestyles. Ironic that fighting against drugs is actually helping to keep the dealers in business, eh?

Guest thehardtruth

The fact that Marijuana does not cause cancer has been known for a long time. Here's all of the information you need to know all published by highly-respected organizations:

http://www.fhcrc.org/about/ne/news/2004/06...juanastudy.html

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/23/1728_57309

And if you want an in-depth study of the realities of marijuana here is one of the best books ever written on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096415684...ce&n=283155

There's absolutely no reason for this stuff to be illegal.

The fact that Marijuana does not cause cancer has been known for a long time. Here's all of the information you need to know all published by highly-respected organizations:

And if you want an in-depth study of the realities of marijuana here is one of the best books ever written on the subject:

I'm with you. What get's me is that it's illegal almost everywhere. Why? Long arm of US policy? Political pressure from tobacco and/or alcohol companies?

Guest thehardtruth

I'm with you. What get's me is that it's illegal almost everywhere. Why? Long arm of US policy? Political pressure from tobacco and/or alcohol companies?

I would say that it's a bit of both. Bureaucracies like the American DEA need to maintain the "war on drugs" so they don't have to cut jobs. I'm constantly shaking my head when I watch shows like "COPS" that show expensive police forces swooping down on a few down-and-out people who are looking to make a few bucks from peddling a few dimes of weed. Then those harmless "dealers" get shipped off to prison for a year or two in order for the prison industry to maintain its numbers.

I know that Canada has felt the long-arm of the U.S. law when we've tried to decriminalize. The U.S. government acts as if the sky is going to fall if the stuff is made legal even though billions of dollars worth of the the stuff is still going to be sold each year in lieu of the billions of dollars that is spent on the "war on drugs".

If they legalized the stuff they'd rake in billions in taxes that could go to helping people with real addiction and health problems.

It's no wonder beings from other planets prefer to remain hidden. They must think we're all nuts from just observing backwards politics like the "war on drugs".

Proven killers like cigarettes are still totally legal yet a relatively harmless natural plant is illegal. Silliness.

Here's my thoughts on that question:

Control. Market economy issues. Taxes.

Pot can be homegrown = bad for business for corporate market.

Tobacco is harder to grow and produce = good for corporate world.

That's why moonshine is outlawed too. Moon shine alcohol can be dangerous, but with proper instructions and know-how, or just a county official making sure your home brewery is up to standards, then everyone could make their own alcohol, but its not in the interest of the deep pocket corporations. Better and easier to outlaw the competition from the people.

And by restricting and having a market that produces it, then taxes can be applied. It's harder to tax hobbies.

Then all processed foods, refined sugars, etc. should be "illegal" too because that kind of shit is more responsible for the ill health of America moreso than smoking of any kind.

Here's my thoughts on that question:

Control. Market economy issues. Taxes.

Pot can be homegrown = bad for business for corporate market.

Tobacco is harder to grow and produce = good for corporate world.

That's why moonshine is outlawed too. Moon shine alcohol can be dangerous, but with proper instructions and know-how, or just a county official making sure your home brewery is up to standards, then everyone could make their own alcohol, but its not in the interest of the deep pocket corporations. Better and easier to outlaw the competition from the people.

And by restricting and having a market that produces it, then taxes can be applied. It's harder to tax hobbies.

The only flaw in your argument is that countries like Russia and China outlaw pot, but flagrantly ignore corporate interests in areas such as copywrite law. My guess is that a lot of this idea that pot is bad is just group think that has reached international levels.

Thanks to whomever fixed the typo in my title!

:D

Happy tokin, y'all.