Goodbye Jesus

Think Fast // Need Quick Rebuttal

quicksand

Every-once-in-awhile, a friend of mine sends these petitions, en masse to me. What I need is a quick rebuttal, point for point. Reading "Dr." Dobson sent off my bullshit detector.

I'm just feeling lazy to google up the resources, cause I know most of this is pure bs. Read the bottom about prayer in schools and freedom of religion. Ha!

See below:

Dr. Dobson & CBS Response

Apparently we are to be allowed to watch TV programs that use every foul word in the English language, but not the word "God." It will only take a minute to read this and see if you think you should send it out.

DR. DOBSON'S PLEA FOR ACTION

CBS discontinued "Touched by an Angel" for using the word God in every program. Madeline Murray O'Hare, an atheist, successfully managed to eliminate the use of Bible reading from public schools a few years ago.

Now her organization has been granted a federal hearing on the same subject by the Federal Communica tions Commission (FCC) in Washington, DC.

Their petition, Number 2493, would ultimately pave the way to stop the reading of the gospel our Lord and Savior, on the airwaves of America

They got 287,000 signatures to back their stand! If this attempt is successful, all Sunday worship! services being broadcast on the radio or by television will be stopped. This group is also campaigning to remove all Christmas programs and Christmas carols from public schools!

You as a Christian can help!

We are praying for at least 1 million signatures. This would defeat their effort and show that there are many Christians alive, well and concerned about our country. As Christians we must unite on this. Please don't take this lightly.

We ignored this lady once and lost prayer in our school and in offices across the nation

Please stand up for your religious freedom and let your voice be heard. Together we can make a difference in our country while creating a way for the lost to know the Lord.

Please press "forward", and forward this to everyone that you think should read this. Now, please sign your name at the bottom ( you can only add your name after you have pressed the "Forward"). Don't delete any other names, just go to the next number and type your name and state. Please defeat this organization and keep the right of our freedom of religion.

REMEMBER! : Our country was founded on freedom of religion and our Constitution is based on the 10 Commandments.

PETITION TO REINSTATE PRAYER IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Agree or Delete: Instructions to sign are at the bottom.

PETITION FOR PRES. BUSH

Let's rebutt this together and send it back out!

I don't think O'Hare got bible reading banned from schools. If I'm not mistaken, it was the authority enforced and peer-pressured morning prayer to the Christian (fuck you if you are a jew, muslim, or anything else) god in schools that she got shit-canned.

You can still read a bible in a public school. It's bashing your classmates over the head with it either literally or figuratively that is a no-no.

I used to live not at all far from Focus on the Family (or as local bumperstickers put if, Focus on Your Own Darn Family") and Dobson. This is typical of the fear hysterics that Dobson tries to push.

My first thought is to get an actual copy of the whole text of Petition 2493. A FOIA request should do wonders. It might even be on their website. Check it out, and remember that most gov't agencies use Adobe, so be prepared for .pdf's. Carefully analyze the text, it is probably not nearly so restrictive. Remember that there are entire networks devoted to Xtian programming and they pay taxes too.

Good luck!

God fuck it! Not THIS old saw again?!?

Every fucking year some Dobson acolyte forwards this SAME e-mail around the US, with the same predictable result. APATHY. :grin::lmao:

Don't sweat it. Not even the "Christians" believe in prayer in schools. This is simply another example of the vocal minority sqauwking for attention.

I remember my own "Christian" sister's response to this e-mail 2 years ago: "The woman (O'Hair) is DEAD! When will you people get over it!?"

I, of course, responded by quoting scripture. Jesus is quoted in Matthew 6 as telling his people to pray in SECRET and not before men. Which means NO PRAYER IN CLASSROOMS!!! People aren't even supposed to pray in CHURCH. "No public prayer allowed." Jesus said it first, not the Evil Atheist Conspiracy.

Yet another example of "Christians" not knowing (or more accurately, IGNORING) what the bible teaches. :loser:

1. Madalyn Murray O'Hair has been dead for 11 years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madalyn_Murray_O'Hair (btw, she was murdered)

2. American Atheists don't have any petition on their website

http://www.atheists.org/

3. The letter is on of the urban legend letters going around the last x-years

http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/madalyn_ohare.htm

and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madalyn_Murra...ir#Urban_legend

4. The history of the Prayer Ban:

Haven't Public Schools Always Had Prayer?

At the time the U.S. Supreme Court issued its 1962 and 1963 decrees against school-sponsored prayers and bible-reading, it is estimated religious observances were unknown in about half of the nation's public schools.

Horace Mann, the father of our public school system, championed the elimination of sectarianism from American schools, largely accomplished by the 1840's. Bible reading, prayers or hymns in public schools were absent from most public schools by the end of the 19th century, after Catholic or minority-religion immigrants objected to Protestant bias in public schools.

Until the 20th century, only Massachusetts required bible-readig in the schools, in a statute passed by the virulently anti-Catholic Know Nothing Party in the 1850's. Only after 1913 did eleven other states make prayers or bible reading compulsory. A number of other states outlawed such practices by judicial or administrative decree, and half a dozen state supreme courts overruled devotionals in pubic schools.

As early as the 1850's, the Superintendent of Schools of New York State ordered that prayers could no longer be required as part of public school activities. The Cincinnati Board of Education resolved in 1869 that "religious instruction and the reading of religious books, including the Holy Bible, was prohibited in the common schools of Cincinnati."

Presidents Ulysses S. Grant and Theodore Roosevelt spoke up for what Roosevelt called "absolutely nonsectarian public schools." Roosevelt added that it is "not our business to have the Protestant Bible or the Catholic Vulgate or the Talmud read in these schools."

For nearly half a century, the United States Supreme Court, consistent with this nation's history of secular schools, has ruled against religious indoctrination through schools (McCollum v. Board of Education, 1948), prayers and devotionals in public schools (Engel v. Vitale, 1962) and prayers and bible-reading (Abington School District v. Schempp, 1963), right up through the 1992 Weisman decision against prayers at public school commencements.

From: http://www.sullivan-county.com/news/mine/case_noprayer.htm

5. The kind of Christians that spread this kind of false rumors are lying, which is a sin according to the Bible. Which proves yet again how full of lies and deceit some of these "holy" people are. They want "jesus" in the classroom, but they use the "devil" to get there.

5. The kind of Christians that spread this kind of false rumors are lying, which is a sin according to the Bible. Which proves yet again how full of lies and deceit some of these "holy" people are. They want "jesus" in the classroom, but they use the "devil" to get there.

Ooooh! That's a good one! Is that a HanSolo original? I may want to quote this sometime.

You know, when I was in grade school (late 60's), every morning a student was selected to read a passage from the bible. It was very much illegal at that time too, but it didn't stop my 3rd grade teacher (I can't really remember what grade). I didn't know any better because to me, at the time, it was the truth and entire world knew it and believed it. I didn't know there were any other 'truths' out there. Imagine my surprise...

From the urban legends site:

Description: Email petition

Circulating since: March 2003 (this version)

that is too funny. but it does have some validity towards the attitude of faith.

that is too funny. but it does have some validity towards the attitude of faith.

:twitch:

Okay. I'll bite. What the hell are you babbling about NOW? If you're going to make off the wall statements like this, then have the decency to EXPLAIN them!

(Not that your "explanation" will make this any less murky, but humor me. Give me SOMETHING to shoot down, besides random, pointless stupidity!)

Ooooh! That's a good one! Is that a HanSolo original? I may want to quote this sometime.

That is a word of god... :HaHa: Nah. It's my original. I'm in a mood of looking for religious lies right now. The shirts on the preachers with false claims, and creationists misstating science etc. Because if Christians want to tell the big ugly infinite truth from God himself, I'd like to see that they start telling truth in the small stuff. Can't trust someone to tell the big truth if they're liars. :shrug:

Quote it as much as you want. Actually, I encourage you to quote it and find Christian lies all over. That's only way to get them really stumped.

Hey, I don't know if I wrote this before, but there is a clear evidence in the Bible that Jesus was lying.

I don't know (and too lazy to look up) the verses, but he told the priests that he had said everything in the open for everyone to hear and understand. But then he also told his disciples that he talked in parables to hide the truth for the ones that were not good enough for Gaaaawd.

What a fuck-up! (Will that outburst get me straight to hell?)

I agree with you 100% freeday. No matter how false it can be shown to be stupid people will still be circulating this shit over and over and over. Urban myths and the attitude of faith. Like the gospels, there's no kernel of truth to be found but a bunch of lies weaved together to look like the truth and an agenda. You hit the nail right on the head for once freeday.

mwc

I'd like to know what you meant by this, too.