Goodbye Jesus

Why Do Christians Think They're Still Being Persecuted?

wideawake42

Seriously. Why do so many Christians think that they as a religious group are still being openly persecuted?

I see Christians on forums all the time saying things like "These days if you stand up for God you could lose your job, home, etc."

Where are these people who don't hire Christians? At my last job, I was pressured into leaving because I wasn't a Christian and a Republican. Literally, my boss told us the day before Gee Dubya was re-elected that "if we voted for anyone else, we wouldn't have a job". I voted for Kerry anyway.

This country is CERTAINLY not anti-Christian. They run the goddamn place. So what the hell? Even as an ex-christian, I do not understand this. I never felt persecuted back then.

I know exactly how you feel. I said the same thing recently to someone about the Persecution of Christians.

I got an e-mail forward that said something like "98% of teenagers won't stand up for God." Isn't it something like 90% of Americans believe in God, with the vast majority of those Americans being Christians?

The Bible says that they will be persecuted so they have to believe they're being persecuted, when they really aren't.

Since they persecute each other so much maybe they are just a little confused.

I know exactly how you feel. I said the same thing recently to someone about the Persecution of Christians™.

I got an e-mail forward that said something like "98% of teenagers won't stand up for God." Isn't it something like 90% of Americans believe in God, with the vast majority of those Americans being Christians?

The Bible says that they will be persecuted so they have to believe they're being persecuted, when they really aren't.

Yes, another self-fulfulling prophecy.

Yeah, and Atheists are by far more persecuted than any other religious group in America.

Check out this article on Atheists in America

It's an interesting article/study that sheds some light on who is really persecuted.

They need that persecution complex. It helps keep people in the flock and perpetuate the us vs them mentality.

In America, i think it's more of Christians persecuting non-Christians and non-Protestant derived denominations. But then again... in their defense, there are countries where you get arrested, beaten, have your assets taken away from you if you are a Christian.

Whether or not karma is involved, it's still wrong to oppress or cause harm to anybody.

Since they persecute each other so much maybe they are just a little confused.

That and they believe that anyone who resists their preaching/control is attacking them. I love this cartoon...

...this says it all. Absolutely insane. I hate religious people. I REALLY do. Mentally unbalanced fucks should be locked away so they may talk to their invisible friends to their heart's content. Unfortunately we allow them to roam around free, hold political office, breed and teach our children "morality" according to their "god".

In America, i think it's more of Christians persecuting non-Christians and non-Protestant derived denominations. But then again... in their defense, there are countries where you get arrested, beaten, have your assets taken away from you if you are a Christian.

Whether or not karma is involved, it's still wrong to oppress or cause harm to anybody.

I agree, in other parts of the world it does happen. But part of it is, people go into those countries and try to give the citizens there their religion and they don't want it. It's not surprising that people would get persecuted for that.

I don't see why they complain about their so-called persecution...wouldn't that make them martyrs?

Couldn't agree more, wideawake42.

:twitch:

"Stand up for God?" GOD needs to hide behind a bunch of teenagers? :Wendywhatever::lmao:

They think that just because there are people in this country who aren't christian yet and/or resist to conversion that it equates as "persecution." That would be really funny if it weren't so damned sad.

I know exactly how you feel. I said the same thing recently to someone about the Persecution of Christians.

Urrrrgh, I see similar bulletins ALL OVER myspace.

Stupid chain mail memes.

I think a lot of Xians think they're being persecuted because the world isn't the way they want it to be, and they take it personally.

Or perhaps they don't like change. They don't like having to deal with the reality that there are people who don't share their beliefs or their attitudes, and it makes them very uncomfortable that someone who doesn't share their religious sensibilities might have as much opportunity or ability to shape the world as they do. So they cry persecution when there really isn't any - because they're scared shitless.

At least in America. I don't doubt there are probably places in the world where Xians actually are openly persecuted for real - but the US isn't one of them.

Reality itself is persecution unto Christians.

"Stand up for God?" GOD needs to hide behind a bunch of teenagers? :Wendywhatever::lmao:

Yes. Poor God gets picked on all the time by those atheist jerks from shop class.

Just yesterday they pantsed Him and stuffed Him in His locker, and not one teenager stood up for him. They all just laughed, instead.

Oh, what sad times we live in... :Hmm:

Having seen this whiny crap from the inside, I'd say that this attitude stems from...

* projection (amusing, when not infuriating, to hear a fundie bitch about how Hollywood, America, yada yada is anti-Christian, and then in the same breath proclaim that some easily targeted group -- gays and lesbians, divorced people, us fornicators -- is bound for Hell. Some Christians see persecution everywhere because they stand at the front of a tradition that FUCKING INVENTED IT.

* narcissism. Religion and evangelical I-gotta-save-the-world thinking in particular are a suspiciously convenient, ready-made life purpose. I mean, where else can you go from a life of gray, conformist nothingness, or self-destruction, to an impassioned quest to change the world, with nothing more than a few mantras and a crowd fo enablers? No investment, no real taking of risk, just rhetoric and emotion. So it's logical that people will invent "persecution;" it's all part of this fantasy world of holy crusaders tilting at sinful windmills.

All of which, ironically, is an insult to those who actually did and do face persecution for simply trying to practice what they preach, and not in the typical offensive we're-here-to-condescendingly-obliterate-your-culture missionary zealot fashion. Right, go ahead and piss and moan about those who "persecute" you for acting like an asshole, when people actually get tortured and killed for trying to do what they believe...

...this says it all. Absolutely insane. I hate religious people. I REALLY do. Mentally unbalanced fucks should be locked away so they may talk to their invisible friends to their heart's content. Unfortunately we allow them to roam around free, hold political office, breed and teach our children "morality" according to their "god".

So all religious people belong under one group heading as "unbalanced fucks"?

And you don't believe they should roam free, hold political office, or breed? Who's the fuck now?

See, there is such a thing as HYPOCRISY. You whinge about how "religious people" are crazy and yet proclaim that anybody who isn't part of YOUR ultimate world view of FUNDAMENTALIST atheism should be locked up. Asstard. You're no better than anybody else who wants to take away basic human rights in the name of your own ideology. Like, say, Osama bin Laden, or the fundie Mormons out in the desert.

Anyway, I think humans in general for some reason feel a need to feel victimized. Every group out there feels that way, it seems. Blacks are victimized, Hispanics are victimized, whites are vicitimized, women are victimized, gays are victimized, fat people are victimized, vegetarians are victimized, Asians are victimized, meat-eaters are victimized, Christians are victimized, atheists are victimized, Muslims are victimized, Jews are victimized, Hindus are victimized, agnostics are victimized........

Of course certain groups ARE victimized. In fact I think every group is victimized to an extent and some more than others. That's not a good thing, of course, but every group feels that no one else feels the pain quite like they do.

I'm quoting you on that in my IRC channel

Having seen this whiny crap from the inside, I'd say that this attitude stems from...

*snip*

I couldn't agree with you more. It's pretty much a spoiled brat mentality.

I worry about their persecution complex when it goes beyond the warped desire to be a martyr. I think some very evil people (e.g. just about any of the talking heads at Faux News, many televangelists, etc.) most of whom know better, deliberately stir up these feelings in their weak-minded followers in order to build up a powerful political base. If they had their way, they would turn this country into a theocracy, i.e., hell on earth.

Yeah, I don't quite understand persecution either. I agree with FweeThawt...

The only persecution they have in this country is the persecution of reality, and of the chains religion has put them in.

But like others have said before me, I think I've recieved much more persecution as a non-Christian the past few months than I ever did in my years of being Christian.

Seriously. Why do so many Christians think that they as a religious group are still being openly persecuted?

It's both a self-fulfilling prophecy and a wonderful excuse.

You know, when you run around babbling bullshit to people who don't want to hear it, these people are bound to become hostile sometime soon. Then, you can silence your nagging doubts of the kind "could it be that they're mad at me because what I tell them is bullshit?" by "aaah, da babble sez we'll be persecuted, so this must be the reason - nothing wrong with my claims!". And there you have the self-fulfilling thing too... you run around pissing people off and thus create the "persecution" you can then rant about. :Hmm:

Some say insanity must be fun. Oh well. :scratch:

It's both a self-fulfilling prophecy and a wonderful excuse.

Yeah, I agree. It gives a convenient way out instead of dealing head-on with what is being preached. Instead of getting down to the underlying issues at hand--like whether or not the bible is inspired (authoritative) or not and showing evidence for or against, many will resort to the 'persecution' charge. And worse yet, if it's coming from an ex-christian who has done thier homework on the issue, then you've got the other fullfillment of 'brother shall betray brother" (if you recall) and charges of falling away from faith (which some take as evidence that the "rapture" is going to happen at any time). So then you've got persecution coming from those who were 'in the faith'. Well, I can tell you I used to 'get persecuted' from those 'in the faith' just for sharing stuff about church history, church and state issues, exposing supposed christian teachers who were caught just doin' it for the money, etc. I used to get upset that for a group that was supposed to "love the truth", they often didn't like to hear it when it touched something closer to home, so to speak. Maybe it's not really persecution. Maybe it's just human nature.