I Need A Word!

Fweethawt

I'm in the middle of writing a letter to a friend and am in desparate need of a word.

The word that I'm looking for is used to describe a sincere recollection of a false memory.

You know -- like when you speak about something from the past, and you're absolutely convinced that something happened, but it really didn't. Or you just can't be quite as sure about it as you would like to be.

I've got a pretty good dictionary sitting next to me, so if you throw something out here, I should be able to look it up to see if it's the word I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

10,000,000,000 points to whoever gets it! :woohoo:

:HaHa:

I'm in the middle of writing a letter to a friend and am in desparate need of a word.

The word that I'm looking for is used to describe a sincere recollection of a false memory.

You know -- like when you speak about something from the past, and you're absolutely convinced that something happened, but it really didn't. Or you just can't be quite as sure about it as you would like to be.

I've got a pretty good dictionary sitting next to me, so if you throw something out here, I should be able to look it up to see if it's the word I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

10,000,000,000 points to whoever gets it! :woohoo:

:HaHa:

In the book Catch 22 they discuss several types of "Vus" as in deja vu, .... vu, .... vu, etc. Perhaps this is what you are looking for. I don't have time to look it up now. My wife is grabbing my ear and dragging me towards the door.

Memory Confabulations?

--edit--

Oh Dang! Epo got to it first.

And then you have Korsakoff's Syndrome.

The difference being that in a confabulation, you just imagine that you peed on your neighbor's door. But with Korsakoff's Syndrome, you probably peed on their door, puked on their dog, and passed out on the lawn afterwards.

Confabulation is act of filling in the gaps of your memory.
That's it! :woohoo:

My Dictionary - to fill in gaps in the memory with detailed accounts of fictitious events believed true by the narrator.

Yes, this is the winner!

Thank you very very much, sir. :notworthy:

Oh... but I think it is indeed a "vu." Check it out:

The subtle, recurring confusion between illusion and reality that was characteristic of paramnesia fascinated the chaplain, and he knew a number of things about it. He knew, for example, that it was called paramnesia, and he was interested as well in such corollary optical phenomena as jamais vu, never seen, and presque vu, almost seen.

- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deja_Vu

Memory Confabulations?

--edit--

Oh Dang! Epo got to it first.

And then you have Korsakoff's Syndrome.

The difference being that in a confabulation, you just imagine that you peed on your neighbor's door. But with Korsakoff's Syndrome, you probably peed on their door, puked on their dog, and passed out on the lawn afterwards.

No I don't think so really. They lose memory almost immediately, and they have no memory at all, so they make up new memories on the spot based on visual clues. And the visual clues can be anything. Just saw an episode of House. :) The girl was hurt, but she had a new explanation to why she was hurt each time they asked because she took cues from pictures they had with them or anything they were wearing. I think the character in Memento have Korsakoff's, and he gets manipulated by peopel, by them lying to him about what happened just a moment before. They keep on feeding him false memories.