Goodbye Jesus

A Video To Show To Your Christian Friends

Fishapod

i love how its in format that reminds one of a childs program about the alphabet or something.

i love how its in format that reminds one of a childs program about the alphabet or something.

I do too.

I have shown it to two Christian friends this weekend. One started spouting nonsense about God's will and God's need to remain hidden.

The other sat there bemused. Thinking. There may be hope with this one.

I asked them to read John 14:12-14:

12I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

What could be clearer? ANYONE can ask ANYTHING and HE WILL DO IT. Why can't Christians see that this is wrong?

It's good, of course... but from a Christian perspective, it ignores the arguments that "God can't be tested" and other contextual things I am sure they could bring up. It needs more scriptural references to make a bigger impact. :)

It needs more scriptural references to make a bigger impact.

Do you have any favorites?

Hmm... lessee... it would be nice to show the verse that says God won't be tested (I don't know the reference, I think it's where we get the term throwing out a fleece), and then a rebuttal (such as a verse that says anything we ask shall be given, which is already there). I think coupling rebuttals like this would be more effective.

I would also think that Christians woud respond by saying that God's ways aren't our ways, that there is a bigger purpose to suffering, and that God always does what is best. Perhaps this circular argument to the effectiveness of prayer could also be addressed.

There was actually a double-blind study done recently where they did pray for heart patients, and the outcomes were the same. I think a key thing to note here, however, is that the subjects were prayed FOR, and did not pray themselves. This is important, but personal prayer has been shown to have health benefits (of course not healing things, but minor things... like blood pressure and the like), and these two different issues shouldn't be confused.

Sadly, stuff like this won't help because any fundy will just spout some rebuttal like "you can't test god" or do some other mental gymnastics to try and prove to themselves that it's not true. They want to believe no matter what, and until they actually want to question it, they're not going to.

Sadly, stuff like this won't help because any fundy will just spout some rebuttal like "you can't test god" or do some other mental gymnastics to try and prove to themselves that it's not true. They want to believe no matter what, and until they actually want to question it, they're not going to.

I might be wrong, but I don't think the point of the video is to hit fundies. It's talking to people like us, and to scientists/engineers/doctors/etc. who are Christian and should know better.

Look at this page on the "God is Imaginary" site (which the video references):

http://www.godisimaginary.com/ijoin.htm

The point is for people like us to stop accepting the bullsh*t and start pushing back on religion in the public forum. It is interesting to read that page - it makes a good point.

How can any thinking scientist/engineer/doctor who understands the scioentific method watch that video and NOT see that prayer is superstition? Religious delusion clouds vision, but these are smart people. If enough of us reinforce the reality that prayer is superstition over and over again, things will change. Idealistic perhaps, but read this page and see if you agree that there might be hope:

http://www.godisimaginary.com/ijoin.htm

It's good, of course... but from a Christian perspective, it ignores the arguments that "God can't be tested" and other contextual things I am sure they could bring up. It needs more scriptural references to make a bigger impact. :)

I'm so tired of that cop out. You can test god. What was Thomas doing when he didn't believe without evidence? What about Gideon?