Goodbye Jesus

Xtian Talking Points

Gaura

I hope everyone knows bt now that I'm no longer Christian. This is not an attempt to evangelize. What it is an attempt at is to come up with a series of Scripture verses that I can deconstruct. I have an idea running around my brain of writing a book based on deconstructing the literalist interpretation of scripture, and using various tools including comparisons to other paths to point out the metaphor or point behind the scripture. I am trying to make the case that this is not about reading the "bible" faithfully or going to a "good" limestone building each Sunday, but living with love. Call this a mystic's reaction to having to deal with some fundamentalists lately.

So, I'd like some of the Scriptures that y'all remember best (or used the most) back in your zombie years to spread the Gospel. If you'd like, I'll try to pick them apart online.

Like, one I remember hearing is "No one comes to the Father except through me" (anyone remember which part of the Babble this is from?) which gets used a lot as an excuse to say that only good Christians get to go to Heaven. But if we look at the "two great commandments" (which it can be argues is the summary of what Jesus was supposed to be saying) which basically says to love everyone, not only does the previous argument fall to ashes (since you're not going to send someone you love to Hell, right) but it makes a strong argument that anyone who remembers to love others as best they can will be just fine.

Hope this makes sense...

skeptic brought up a good point about david's inticing from satan or God in samuel and kings. then where in the OT does it say that satan is an advisary to God.

i think you are being a little malicous with your intent here. even if you find a contradiciton, i don't think that it will cause anyone to lose faith. there is two sides of the story for every one contradiction you find.

Like, one I remember hearing is "No one comes to the Father except through me" (anyone remember which part of the Babble this is from?) which gets used a lot as an excuse to say that only good Christians get to go to Heaven.

:)Gaura, you can go to http://www.crosswalk.com/ and go to the upper right hand corner, where you will see Bible Study Tools. Click on that, and there are several resources for researching locations of scriptures. I like to use KJV with Strong's Numbers, so I can also research the different meanings of the word they chose for the translations, and how it evolved ... but hey... that's just me. Hope that helps!

i think you are being a little malicous with your intent here.

How is that malicious?

even if you find a contradiciton, i don't think that it will cause anyone to lose faith.

Care to wager on that comment? :grin: Contradictions brought me freedom from Christianity and I'm guessing that is true for many, if not the majority of Christians on this site.

there is two sides of the story for every one contradiction you find.

Right. Side one is a lame excuse and side two is even more of a lame excuse. Once you use your brain and stop searching for excuses the TRUTH stands out, plain as the nose on one's face.

Okay, so John 14:6. Thanks. That tool really works.

Have you made your way to http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/ yet? They have tons of this stuff ready made (some a little over the top if you ask me but it's still a fun read).

Or are you looking for deeper stuff like Brad's site http://www.geocities.com/b_r_a_d_99/index.html?

mwc

Okay, so John 14:6. Thanks. That tool really works.

:)Gaura, I believe there are a lot of metaphors in these teachings. IMO, the verse you referenced:

John 14:6

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way *, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

means these teachings of Jesus brings all of us back into a harmonious body (Our Father's house). The Father is the house that includes everyone. Each one is to have a place of distinction there (mansion). This is all an internal place, a mental place, that is best for self and others alike.

John 14:2

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told * you. I go to prepare a place for you.

The way and the truth is about finding integrity, compassion, and reason so that one may have spiritual life. I think that this life is something that supports our will to thrive, and what takes away from our will to thrive is called spiritual death. It seems to me that spirituality and emotions are closely linked.

Also, these NT teachings refer to now clearing the conscience. What is interesting is that I have done a bit of research to see if the conscience existed as it does now before Jesus, and the NT is the first reference I have found with a 3 part conscience as it is today. One part telling us what we should do, another part telling us what we want to do, and the third part that wrestles with it all, yet the guilt or emotional feelings seem to lead us to desire to do what we should. The OT seems to be an obedience to the laws, and these teachings attributed to Jesus is about a desire to fulfill these laws.

I do think a lot of mythology has been superimposed onto someone we call Jesus. Maybe the best of many myths got swept up into these teachings as it spread, which I think have some significant messages. One mythology that is believed to be included heavily in these Jesus teachings is of Imhotep. It was believed he was only a myth till recently, and now many suspect he was a real person. It took 500 years for him to be promoted as a demigod, and 2000 years to be elevated to a full god, which would make him a full god around the time of Christ. :wink:

He was later even worshipped by the early Christians as one with Christ. The early Christians, it will be recalled, adapted to their use those pagan forms and persons whose influence through the ages had woven itself so powerfully into tradition that they could not omit them.

Imhotep was an incredible guy! More found here

Amanda, I like your interpretation even better. And, again, it's one that can be approached from any number of spiritual angles. Thanks.

The Imhotep stuff was cool. I certainly would plan on including source material from people like him in this if I do write this.

• 2 months later...

there is two sides of the story for every one contradiction you find.

Right. Side one is a lame excuse and side two is even more of a lame excuse. Once you use your brain and stop searching for excuses the TRUTH stands out, plain as the nose on one's face.

hahahahahahahahaha