Goodbye Jesus

Phrases That Breed Ex-christians

Kevin H

Any of these sound familiar?

"God will never allow anything in your life that you cannot handle".

"Accepting Jesus will bring peace, happiness, fulifillment, and wealth in this life".

"God helps those who help themselves".

"You are sick/doubting/hurting because there is unconfessed sin in your life".

"Even if it's false, believe it anyway because it will give you purpose in life".

"Atheists are not moral".

"Imagine what a sunburn feels like! Now multiply it X times and you have hell!"

"You don't need to think, you just need to feel".

"You don't need knowledge, you just need faith".

"God answers every prayer when we meet X standards".

"God will always reveal himself to you".

"You can be 'cool' and be a Christian!".

"If you are homosexual, come to Christ and he will instantly make you heterosexual".

"(Dead relative or friend) is playing golf (or X) with St. Peter in heaven right now"!

I could go on....

K

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kevin H

• Kuroikaze

• KT45

• Ouroboros

What part of "most of us left Christianity because we READ and dismissed the bible because we could not via logic and reason and plain common sense accept what we once thought was true" are you having a hard time comprehending? Are you not 29 years old, can you not understand what we've priorly told you? And, if you did understand, why are you wasting webspace by posting the same crap again?

Those phrases are actually on a list of pet peeves that many of us have here, not a cause of us leaving the 'faith'.

What part of "most of us left Christianity because we READ and dismissed the bible because we could not via logic and reason and plain common sense accept what we once thought was true" are you having a hard time comprehending? Are you not 29 years old, can you not understand what we've priorly told you? And, if you did understand, why are you wasting webspace by posting the same crap again?

Those phrases are actually on a list of pet peeves that many of us have here, not a cause of us leaving the 'faith'.

Jubilant,

If the shoe fits...

Also, what exactly about faith in Christ is illogical or unreasonable?

K

None of those phrases made me an ex-christian. However, I have heard the first one, because it is straight out of scripture. The rest of them, as a christian, if I ever heard a christian say it I would immediately call him out as someone who didn't know their bible and for spreading human doctrine instead of the gospel. Seriously, you know christians who believe and tolerate that kind of bullshit?

Here's a clue. It's not your fault that we're ex-christians. It's the fact that the bible isn't true.

You know, when I first met you Kevin I respected you because you actually listened and seemed genuine and sincere about learning what makes ex christians tick. Since the last time you were here, you've gone completely stupid. You've stopped listening. You're posting all kinds of retarded straw men arguments as if you have suddenly discovered the magic bean that will turn us all right again. And when we start getting into the meat of the argument, you dismiss it and go back to the touchy feely crap about the 'person of christ'.

I think you should stop posting here, because you've become an annoying broken record.

KevinH, you only post the same questions over and over again, and then when you get answers, you don't really read them, or you really don't understand them (I'm not sure which). Get a grip of reality man.

I can only see one reason why you ask these questions and not care for the answers or the truth, is that you don't want to. You're scared that we might be right, and you wrong, and you try desperately to find the argument that can give you reasons to save your faith. But I'm sorry, you won't find it here.

:Doh: Oh gosh, Kevin, I don't know...putting faith and hope and love into someone that claims they'll torture you eternally if you don't comply, who teaches that there are devils and demons, walks on water :lmao: and says that by simply believing you can heal the sick, etc....thats just a small summary of why I believe it is illogical and unreasonable to have 'faith' in Christ.

I guess you can't stomach the idea that it was the Bible itself that drove so many of us away, huh.

I can't blame you there. That'd freak the hell out of me, if I were still Xian.

You'll get over it.

Odd.

:Hmm:

Kevin H offers up stale christian-ese platitudes.

NOT Bible verses.

:scratch:

Isn't it a little odd that so many christians come in here, and try to talk their way around the book their bullshit is supposedly based on?

The toss verses as a last resort...but then cry "context!" (showing again....they don't even know the meaning of the word) when we point out those verses either don't mean what they think they mean (because we take them IN context with the surrounding text...silly us), OR when we point out verses in the bible that directly contradict.

Piss off Kevin H.

Folks like you are a dime a dozen. And you just love the attention we're giving you. Don't forget to wipe your "sacred" substance off the keyboard every now and then.....the keys will start to stick.

None of those phrases made me an ex-christian. However, I have heard the first one, because it is straight out of scripture. The rest of them, as a christian, if I ever heard a christian say it I would immediately call him out as someone who didn't know their bible and for spreading human doctrine instead of the gospel. Seriously, you know christians who believe and tolerate that kind of bullshit?

Here's a clue. It's not your fault that we're ex-christians. It's the fact that the bible isn't true.

You know, when I first met you Kevin I respected you because you actually listened and seemed genuine and sincere about learning what makes ex christians tick. Since the last time you were here, you've gone completely stupid. You've stopped listening. You're posting all kinds of retarded straw men arguments as if you have suddenly discovered the magic bean that will turn us all right again. And when we start getting into the meat of the argument, you dismiss it and go back to the touchy feely crap about the 'person of christ'.

I think you should stop posting here, because you've become an annoying broken record.

The first one is not found in the Bible and sets people up for a fall. God allows plenty of things in our lives that we cannot handle. I think what occurs is a synthesis of two verses (1 Cor. 10:13 and 2 Cor 12:9), one dealing with temptation and the other with various trials, and a false view results.

I am interested in listening and I care about people. And I have come to several conclusions as to why many go through what most on this site go through.

But the sword cuts both ways. You should not fear information. Truth dares to be questioned. The truth can also be irritating (I try not to be).

The claims of Christ are not "touchy-feely", but the bottom line.

K

The same thing that makes all other faiths illogical to you makes faith in Christ illogical to us.

KevinH, you only post the same questions over and over again, and then when you get answers, you don't really read them, or you really don't understand them (I'm not sure which). Get a grip of reality man.

I can only see one reason why you ask these questions and not care for the answers or the truth, is that you don't want to. You're scared that we might be right, and you wrong, and you try desperately to find the argument that can give you reasons to save your faith. But I'm sorry, you won't find it here.

Hans, I'd be glad to try and answer what you think I haven't. I would suggest you just deal with anything you find of substance from me and not try to guess my motivations. If you find nothing of substance from me, why waste your time?

K

The same thing that makes all other faiths illogical to you makes faith in Christ illogical to us.

Anything specific?

:Doh: Oh gosh, Kevin, I don't know...putting faith and hope and love into someone that claims they'll torture you eternally if you don't comply, who teaches that there are devils and demons, walks on water :lmao: and says that by simply believing you can heal the sick, etc....thats just a small summary of why I believe it is illogical and unreasonable to have 'faith' in Christ.

1). God does not torture anyone for eternity for failure to comply. I don't blame you for rejecting that Staw Man.

2). There is nothing illogical about the existence of immaterial, personal entities. Christ confronted demons and taught about the reality of the spiritual realm. Where is he wrong and illogical? You are assuming a Naturalistic worldview and I've yet to see you defend it.

3). The Scriptures nowhere say by "simply believing one can heal the sick".

Sorry if I'm firm. But you are the one misinformed.

Anything specific?

Read this - it'll do for a start.

Everyone's a Skeptic--About Other Religions

James A. Haught

[Editor's note: This was originally delivered as a talk to Campus Freethought Alliance, Marshall University, Huntington, WV, July 12, 1998]

Religion is an extremely touchy topic. Church members often become angry if anyone questions their supernatural dogmas. (Bertrand Russell said this is because they subconsciously sense that their beliefs are irrational.) So I try to avoid confrontations that can hurt feelings. Nearly everyone wants to be courteous.

But sometimes disputes can't be avoided. If you think the spirit realm is imaginary, and if honesty makes you say so, you may find yourself under attack. It has happened to many doubters. Thomas Jefferson was called a "howling atheist." Leo Tolstoy was called an "impious infidel."

Any of these sound familiar?

Oh crap. Kevin has the list. We'll have to procede with the plan early. I've contacted everyone within the liberal media and these phrases will be used within all the popular television shows, commercials and movies wordwide. Hahahahaha!!!

The ex-xian breeding project has begun and there's not a damn thing you can do to stop us Kevin. You're too late!

mwc

Anything specific?

Can you list for us reasons you don't worship nor follow Dionysus, Osiris or Zeus? Why do you logically reject these gods?

1). God does not torture anyone for eternity for failure to comply. I don't blame you for rejecting that Staw Man.

I agree.

2). There is nothing illogical about the existence of immaterial, personal entities. Christ confronted demons and taught about the reality of the spiritual realm. Where is he wrong and illogical? You are assuming a Naturalistic worldview and I've yet to see you defend it.

Prove to me that there is a 'spiritual relm'. What is wrong with having a naturalistic worldview and why should I have to defend it? I've never once seen a demon or devil, it's silly to believe in such things.

It does say that a sign of a believer is that WILL heal the sick and be able to drink poison and not be sick by doing so. However, I'm sure you'll find a way to get out of that scripture just as numerous other people have done in defense of the bible.

Firm? HA. I'm not misinformed, I'm not the one who believes in unicorns, chariots piloted by god, men who walk on water, talking asses, talking serpents and a God who kills innocent children.

Anything specific?

Not necessarily. It was a general question, interpret it as you will. What did you have in mind?

Kevin, skip the "I'm a tough Xian" routine. It doesn't impress anyone. You have nothing to offer us but a demonic god who has expressly stated that we wil be eternally tortured if we don't serve him first and foremost. It's the classic ultimatium of John 3:16. Whether or not this "god" exists is irrelevant, as any sane person is morally obligated to defy such a jerk.

We understand the Babble™ perfectly. Jebus himself says in, Matthew 21:22, "And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive." That means we can heal, perform miracles, get whatever we need or want, and so forth - from the most serious request to the most trite. There are no conditions or exceptions stated or implied anywhere in the Babble™. Jebus says we can do anything through faith and prayer, but I've known dozens of Xians who prayed for all sorts of things, from the healing of loved ones to new jobs and shiny possessions, and never got a single one of them answered. That means Jebus is a liar and faith in him is illogical.

If Jebus exists, and is all-powerful and all-good, he'd understand the necessisity of destroying Satan™ and all evil and saving us all in one fell swoop. Or he'd appear to all of us, regularly, to facilitate our faith in him, since he ought to know that humans will give up on things that they can't see or verify. Or he'd magically make us all Xians so we'd avoid Hell™. Or any number of things a supposedly all-knowing and all-powerful god can do. But he does them not - therefore he is not.

It doesn't take much to be a master of Xian theology. Just read the Babble™ with an objective mindset and the sick, absurd bullshit will be unveiled. It's illogical - and evil - to have faith in the monster called Christ™.

The first one is not found in the Bible and sets people up for a fall. God allows plenty of things in our lives that we cannot handle. I think what occurs is a synthesis of two verses (1 Cor. 10:13 and 2 Cor 12:9), one dealing with temptation and the other with various trials, and a false view results.

What are you talking about? People who say that first one are directly paraphrasing 1 Cor. 10:13. Or are you redefining yet another scripture to mean what you want by claiming context again?

I am interested in listening and I care about people. And I have come to several conclusions as to why many go through what most on this site go through.

Your conclusions are flat out wrong, as evidenced by your posts.

The claims of Christ are not "touchy-feely", but the bottom line.

I'm not talking about the claims of Christ, I'm talking about YOUR claims. Whenever the debate develops any depth you bail out using either 'context' or 'beside the point, let's get back to Christ'. Christ is a complete fabrication. A fairy tale. The doctrine and the fact that it is so fragmented and contradictory so as to leave it open to this much debate and disagreement is solid proof of that.

...what exactly about faith in Christ is illogical or unreasonable?

K

The Holy Spirit comes(?) upon Mary, who then conceives, and bears a Savior...

The Sons of God looked upon the daughters of men, and saw that they were luscious, and sexy, and good for numbers of things...and the daughters of men bore to them giants and heroes...

...But...while their was not even a reprimand for the Holy Spirit...or the Holy Offspring...those Old Testament Sons of God were chained in the book of Jude...until the Last Day.

Who do you think you're addressing? A bunch of idiots that "heard" about Christianity...or went to some Church Services to see if there were some pretty girls/guys there?

"...you will lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover..."

Oh...maybe you would say - "Show me where it says anything about believing!"

Or...perhaps you would say - "Were you there...? Did He say this to you? That faded away with the Apostles..." (show us where that is found).

Jubilant,

If the shoe fits...

K

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

This is classic...really, I haven't laughed this hard all day :thanks:

Hans, I'd be glad to try and answer what you think I haven't. I would suggest you just deal with anything you find of substance from me and not try to guess my motivations. If you find nothing of substance from me, why waste your time?

Why do YOU guess OUT motivations? You come here over and over again and make assumptions about what and how made us who we are, and we react and get upset, and now you're upset because I guess your motivations? That's exactly what I'm talking about! You treat us the way you DON'T want to be treated yourself. So you break the Law Jesus gave you "do to others that you want them to do to you."

Now I did to you what you do to me, and you don't like it. Can you understand that we don't like it either?

I guess if you want to believe in Christ, that's not really unreasonable or illogical. It's the requirement that everybody believe it that is.

There's a lot of examples all over this forum about the contradictions in the Bible, so I'm not gonna go into that there.

Jesus's basic message was "Be nice to each other and take care of one another." This is a basic doctrine found all over the world in thousands of different places, cultures, and religions that have never heard of Jesus. This is something parents start teaching babies before they even begin teaching religion. It's not that hard to figure out even if you've never heard of religion.

We don't NEED Jesus. And no "real" god "needs" anything from us.

Can you list for us reasons you don't worship nor follow Dionysus, Osiris or Zeus? Why do you logically reject these gods?

These gods are easily traced to mythology with no historical evidence for their existence as actual beings.

Since they are limited, localized, and fallible (were they to exist) they would be subject to creation and therefore cannot account for creation. Therefore, any worldview that considers them anything other than myth fails to correspond to reality.

There is nothing in the mythology of these gods that serves as a defeater for Christian Theism.

*My God's bigger than your god,

My God's bigger than yours!

My God's bigger 'cause he gets Ken-L-Ration,

my God's bigger than yours!