Goodbye Jesus

Coming Out As An Atheist

Knightley

Hey ya'll I'm back! And I still have the same sn. :HaHa: Its a miracle baby! :lmao:

I've come to the point where I don't believe in anything. I'm not a theist or an agnostic as I thought was the case. I don't believe in god, "the universe," fate, or even the possibility of a supreme being. Nothing. Frankly if there is a god then I don't see what good god does to anyone. Its me that's been doing life all alone, there was never anyone helping me out except my family. I don't even think there is a chance of something out there to exist, because I've been giving my entire life for something to exist and I've found that there is nothing out there.

Its going to be weird coming out to my family and my friends. My mom though not religious, is a xian or at least calls herself one. She says that she believes in god, jesus, and the holy spirit. She tells me all the time "god bless you" and "pray to god and thank him for everything." When I say that I don't care for god, she says that we shouldn't say things like that because you don't want to anger god or whoever is "out there."

Ah okay, and then she contradicts herself by telling me, "you need to have your beliefs and I have mine." Okay then, I should be able to express the fact that I don't give a shit about religion and god, and that there's no one to be afraid of "out there." Honestly, I love my mom but sometimes she is just too much. I don't even care if the whole bible shebang is true, I just am so fucking tired of it all, xianity pretty much nearly ruined my life. It was exhausting having a "relationship with god." I have to start over with college, with jobs, with friends, it just blows.

Also when I told my closest friend, who's a xian, that I didn't believe in heaven and hell, that there is no one way to god, she started in on how there are many paths to god and that people worship the same one. She got kind of quiet when I told her I no longer believed in heaven and hell. Then she told me how god brings people in our paths to help us out, and I just couldn't take that. So I changed the subject. If people want to believe in xianity, okay, that's their life, I get it. I just don't want it in mine.

I just don't want my mom going all ape shit on me when I tell her that I'm an atheist, because trust me, it'll be a shock to her. As well as to this friend who is a xian. She's been okay about the changes in my life, but I'm just wondering if my atheism will drive us further apart, because we just seem to grow apart more and more. She's not freakishly religious, but when it comes to god, well you can't tell her any differently, because to her god exists.

I'm also tired of people at work telling me about god and jesus, I don't want to hear it, and I'm just wondering if I'll experience any prejudice for being an atheist at work. I can't even take it from customers when they tell me I need to go to church, that "the bible is the answer" and that "jesus is the truth," and yeah I get that they're customers, but I don't have to listen to that! How do you guys handle that at work?

очень приятно снова видеть тебя в форуме Ляля. Надеюсь что ты не пропадешь надолго.

Welcome back!!! Glad to hear from ya!! Forum was very quiet without you :grin: .

As for me, i dont think ive ever had a problem with people at work. Religion is never a factor or ever discussed. Even if something would happen to come up, nobody really cares. Good ol' California eh :wicked: ?

-Rhem

<edit>

If someone tells you all path leads to God, then say "Great!! Then im gonna go read the Quran then!!" If someone at work bothers you, tell them they can message you about it on the forums on Ex-Christian.Net. We'll be glad to take care of them for you :wicked:

Move out to California - San Francisco! Christians or any religious fanatic treated like an outcast. People here actually reason.

Madie are you from San Francisco? Cause im from San Jose!!

You guys are like...4 hours away from me. Bleh.

Knightley, WELCOME BACK!! I sure missed your ever-changing avatars. What happened to Joaquin Phoenix?! :)

Thank you! Its good to be back, oh and yeah I quit last friday my job as a telemarketer at the credit card company. I'm free! They even sat me down and asked me if I really wanted to quit. I was sat down with two supervisors about it, it was insane, but I quit that job, it was way too stressful even though I made them a lot of money in sales.

I love Joaquin Phoenix, but needed a change ;) Its good to be back ya'll!

Move out to California - San Francisco! Christians or any religious fanatic treated like an outcast. People here actually reason.

Same here - in a little blue state on the East Coast (Maryland, in a suburb next to Washington, D.C.) In general, people here don't really give a damn about what other people believe or disbelieve.

I don't know what I'd do if I lived in some fundie stronghold like the deep south.

Oh, wait. Yes, I do. I'd move!

Hi RHEMtron,

I sure am....I love it here.

Are you on friendster?

I don't know what I'd do if I lived in some fundie stronghold like the deep south.

Oh, wait. Yes, I do. I'd move!

So that's my problem! I live in Texas. But it's not like I have much of a choice, I still live with my parents.

Hey, Knightley :)

I'm not sure what to tell you, this is something I'm still working on myself. But I'm like you - I'm just tired of it. I see no reason to believe in religion, god, a spiritual realm, anything. There's no evidence and no reason to believe in it.

It's hard to adapt to a new life as a non-Christian after being so deep in Christianity. Hard, but not impossible.

I hope everything goes well for you,

-DMU

WB Knightly! Congrats on figuring out what you believe. :)

I think your mom sounds pretty cool. If you tell her like it's no big deal, then more than likely she'll be a little dissapointed, but not go apeshit.

As for work and stuff....try to ignore it. It's white noise, treat it as such. I know for a new deconvert it's like fingernails on the chalkboard, but people are going to say it regardless. If they ask you to go to church or where you go to church or whatever, change the subject. If you make it clear it's not a topic open to discussion, they will eventually leave you alone.

WHOO HOO! Go San Jose! :grin:

Welcome back Knightley! I thought you had gotten raptured!

Oh...uhm...yah... :) (lol)

QUOTE(Madie @ Jul 19 2006, 03:05 PM)

Same here - in a little blue state on the East Coast (Maryland, in a suburb next to Washington, D.C.) In general, people here don't really give a damn about what other people believe or disbelieve.

It's true. Fellow Marylander here!

Hey I am in Haward here :D

congrats knightly on moving down your natural progession lots of people I know went from Xtian to theist to agnostic to atheist or something to that effect.

You know, I'm just going to warn you. If you tell a guy you're an Atheist, they'll immediately assume you take it in the ass. Congratulations, and PROTECT THE POOPER!!!

Hey I am in Haward here :D

congrats knightly on moving down your natural progession lots of people I know went from Xtian to theist to agnostic to atheist or something to that effect.

Thank you! I hope things are cool between us, I've never been much for grudges. :)

Anyway, yes its good to finally be out of that theist mentality. I never thought I'd be here, but life is definitely much more sweeter. :woohoo:

And thanks everyone, you all rock. I did miss it here and the peeps here. :)

Ok, but seriously. Your post reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons where Bart is saying grace.

"Dear Lord, we bought and made our food without your help, so thanks for nothing. Amen.

:notworthy:

:lmao:

I guess I should prepare my oscar speech now, eh?

dunno just want to thank people for being cool ;)