Goodbye Jesus

Contradicting Advertisement?

PeaceOfMind

Earlier today I was skimming through a recent edition of Today's Pentecostal Evangel (Formerly The Pentecostal Evangel.), and happened upon an advertisement that struck me as odd. This advertisement reads as follows:

SILENCE

296 million people*

205 million don't know Jesus**

World's 3rd-largest unreached nation**

Break the silence

*Courtesy of US Census Bureau

**Southeastern Baptist Theological Society

===================================

Take a moment if you will, and think about this.

Supposedly 80-95% of American citizens proclaim they are some form of "Christian". In this regard, with denominations set aside, we could assume that most, if not all people know of, or about Jesus [in America]. However, according to the SEBTS**, only 91 million out of 296 million US citizens know about Jesus, which makes (if I have done my math correctly.) roughly 97% of the American population oblivious to the Jesus of the Bible.

My question is this; in a nation that is most heavily saturated with Christianity, on television, in books, in advertisements, and almost everywhere you look, how in hell do 205 million people *not* know about Jesus, not to mention the 3rd-largest unreached nation?? Maybe I am wrong here, but I smell a stench that is undeniably BULLSHIT. :vent:

Hmm. Is that worded exactly?

205 million don't know Jesus

It doesn't say "know ABOUT Jesus" it just says "know Jesus." This could mean a lot of things. Are they saying 205 Mill have never heard of Jesus (I don't believe that), or are there 205 Mill people who aren't practicing christianity, or 205 Mill christians that don't feel they have a personal connection to Jesus? It's kind of vague.

Hmm. Is that worded exactly?

205 million don't know Jesus

It doesn't say "know ABOUT Jesus" it just says "know Jesus." This could mean a lot of things. Are they saying 205 Mill have never heard of Jesus (I don't believe that), or are there 205 Mill people who aren't practicing christianity, or 205 Mill christians that don't feel they have a personal connection to Jesus? It's kind of vague.

I was wondering about that myself, however that could fall back onto the "You're not really a Christian unless you believe to according to *OUR* theology" argument.

SILENCE

296 million people*

World's 3rd-largest unreached nation**

Break the silence

*Courtesy of US Census Bureau

**Southeastern Baptist Theological Society

...according to the SEBTS**, only 91 million out of 296 million US citizens know about Jesus, which makes (if I have done my math correctly.) roughly 97% of the American population oblivious to the Jesus of the Bible.

Yeah, the math is off a little... That would be closer to two-thirds (2/3rds), or more accurately...uh, who cares.

Just love those Pentecostal Evangelists! God Bless their tutu's.

My question is this; in a nation that is most heavily saturated with Christianity, on television, in books, in advertisements, and almost everywhere you look, how in hell do 205 million people *not* know about Jesus, not to mention the 3rd-largest unreached nation?? Maybe I am wrong here, but I smell a stench that is undeniably BULLSHIT. :vent:

No, no...it's your definition of "know" that you're having trouble with. They meant know Jesus...in the biblical sense. ;)

Perhaps they should be more specific and admit that it isn't their brand of Jesus.

They know Jesus, just not the RIGHT Jesus, the Southern Baptist Jesus.

There's the devil-worshipping, blood-sucking papists, the Lutherans who are a little too close to the papists, the Episcopals who allow fornicators into their ministry (that's almost as bad as being Catholic), the Methodists and U.C.C.s and Presbyterians and what-not who just aren't hardcore enough, generally speaking, to get into heaven, the Mormons, etc.

"296 million people*

World's 3rd-largest unreached nation**"

Noooo...it's not. :Hmm: America is one of the top Christian nations of the world, in fact.

I think America is in the top 5 most Christianized industrial countries.

Noooo...it's not. :Hmm: America is one of the top Christian nations of the world, in fact.

*coughs*

They know Jesus, just not the RIGHT Jesus, the Southern Baptist Jesus.

I think I'll share this ad with a non-fundie friend of mine and see what she thinks.