Goodbye Jesus

Family Watchdog

Guest JP

Goodbye Jesus

WAY too fucking many. Tampa lights up like a Christmas tree on there.

Not that many around my neighborhood. We do have a child molester at the end of my street though.

it begs the question, how many of these are truly dangerous preditors who are endangering nearby children. A lot of them are probably branded with the scarlet letter due to statutory rape and other less devious crimes.

Very good point, Vigile--one I was going to make myself had someone else not already done so.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard an anchor on the evening news my dad watches state that a person who simply did something stupid but ultimately harmless would be required to register as a sex offender and be classified on par with those who actually acted with malicious intent.

The project is noble in its ambition of keeping children safe, but the irrational application of it paints with somewhat too broad a brush.

So should the justice system just let them go if they didn't act with malicious intent? I don't think I would want my daughter around someone who was known to sleep with teenagers.

Not at all. Though it must be said, if your teenage daughter wants to have sex with an older man, there's virtually nothing you as a parent can do to stop her. I trust it hasn't been so long since you were a teenager that you've forgotten this.

I'm afraid this is about the furthest I can go in this thread. This is another one of those sticky grey areas to which there doesn't seem to be any clear answer.

I think it's blatantly retarded to force an 18-year-old, whose only 'crime' was consensual activity with his 16-year-old girlfriend, to register as the same kind of person who lures in and sexually molests 7-year-olds. If you're going to have a "sex offender" registry, differentiate between the stupid kids and the sexual predators, please.

Just my $0.02 on the matter.

I think it's blatantly retarded to force an 18-year-old, whose only 'crime' was consensual activity with his 16-year-old girlfriend, to register as the same kind of person who lures in and sexually molests 7-year-olds. If you're going to have a "sex offender" registry, differentiate between the stupid kids and the sexual predators, please.

Just my $0.02 on the matter.

I'm with you.

I find the whole "sex offender registery" to be a miscarriage of justice. I can see why this would be really helpful, but also how it could really ruin somebody's life. And interestingly, I keep hearing on the news more about how it ruins more lives than it protects.

If we're going to do this, why single out sex offenders? Why not add murderers to the list? Or if some guy has a history of beating the fuck out of his wife. Or drinks and drives a lot. Or I'd really rather like to know if somebody on my block has had instances of breaking and entering or armed robbery. I'm more concerned about robbery than rape, honestly.

Not that I'm defending sex offenders. I was the victim of a pedophile from the time I was 10 to the time I was 14. I would love to see the bastards get the death penalty for it along with violent rapists. Sex abuse is one of the most sick and damaging forms of torture one person can do to another. Especially a child. If I thought our justice system could handle it it, I'd love to see rapists get the chair with the electrodes strapped to their nads after their victims spit on them to create a better conduit.

But considering how reason doesn't necessarily enter into the justice system, I wouldn't advocate such an idea for real for fear of frying that 18 year old that was having a consensual sexual relationship with his 16 year old girlfriend.

Here's something I wonder...what if you are framed (falsely convicted) and you're exonerated? How easy is it to get your name off the list?

-Seth

I heard that lower-tier offenders don't make the list; only those considered to be a threat make it. So if that's the case, those who sleep with a consenting teenager might not make the list.

I heard that lower-tier offenders don't make the list; only those considered to be a threat make it. So if that's the case, those who sleep with a consenting teenager might not make the list.

It depends on the state and the registry, I think. I've seen some that list even the low-tier "offenders". And some states require that teenagers convicted of "statutory rape" register as sex offenders, alongside the violent offenders and child molesters. IL, I think, is one of them - my cousin had to register after he got his 14-year-old girlfriend pregnant (he was 17 at the time, IIRC).

Not that I feel sorry for that cousin, mind you - he's a loser of the lowest caliber and I'm pretty sure he was the one who stabbed mom's horses. But I still think that it was stupid that he would be on the same registry as the wife-beating pedophile who stalked me through Jr. High and High School...

Guest earl1940
it begs the question, how many of these are truly dangerous preditors who are endangering nearby children. A lot of them are probably branded with the scarlet letter due to statutory rape and other less devious crimes.

Yep. My wife's daughter from her first marriage, 29 years old, was stupid enough to succomb to the repeated advances of a 15 year old neighbor. There's more to this boy's story, as you might imagine. But she's in jail, her son by his 'father' (read: sperm donor, who has 4 other kids by 4 other girls), and she is listed for 25 years as a 'sex offender' for all to see, complete with photo and address. The boy runs free to go on his binges, well known to the police. There's more, and it just destroys her life, and likely her kids, too. But "justice" has been served.

Thanks to Megan's Law, which has nothing to do with this.

It is no wonder that the U.S. has the highest number of people, and the highest percentage of its population in prison in the world. This has nothing to do with justice, nor common sense. But it does insure the next generation of "criminals".

There is an ice-cream truck that drives around my girlfriends neighborhood in the afternoons that has a big sign on the back of the truck that says he is a convicted sex offender. :nono:

It does give a brief description on that site about why the person is a sex offender. I know a guy that got caught having sex with his wif in the car and they are now both registered "sex offenders". :ugh:

WAY too fucking many. Tampa lights up like a Christmas tree on there.

Tampa has 647 offenders. And here's population info.

http://tampa.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm

Compare it to where I live.

Anchorage AK has 1193 offenders And here is population info. (if your city is a Christmas tree, mine is Chevy Chase's house in Lampoon Christmas)

http://anchorage.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm

Crime comparison:

http://newyork.areaconnect.com/crime/compa...ampa+&s2=FL

Look at the results for rape. THIS shit is why I might sometimes come across to folks on here as highly suspicious and paranoid. I live in Rape-ville USA! :ugh:

This sucks. I'd move to Tampa if the heat wasn't likely to kill me.