Goodbye Jesus

Xtian Comeback

ricky18

So what is the reply of xtians when told of the failed bible prophessy by Jesus of his coming.He was suppose to come in his generation.Spicifically the one where he s says."Some of u present here will not taste death until the coming of the son of man. What are their responses

predictions: Jesus then said he doesnt really know. death doesnt really mean death. I dont know, only God knows. [Christian quotes a random quote found in AiG] You just got to have faith!! :lmao:

What are their responses

Speaking in tongues. Well, at least something just as "reasonable" as that. :fdevil:

I think he said that before his resurrection thingy. So they could say that he meant the first coming which was immediately after he died and rose again.

So what is the reply of xtians when told of the failed bible prophessy by Jesus of his coming.He was suppose to come in his generation.Spicifically the one where he s says."Some of u present here will not taste death until the coming of the son of man. What are their responses

He's not coming back because such a person never existed in the first place. He's just another one of those superstitious/fictional characters re-invented from paganistic godmen.

The typical response is that Jesus was referring, not to the second coming, but to the Transfiguration - the photo op with Moses and Elijah in Matthew 17. This was supposedly witnessed by Peter, James, and John.

Robert Price points to the fact that the transfiguration immediately follows this "prophecy" of Jesus in the narrative as a possible indication that these passages of Matthew were written after all of "those who were present" were no longer alive. The transfiguration event was inserted into the text, to resolve the embarrassment of the unfulfilled prophecy.

This thereby leads to a possible dating of Matthew much later than conservative scholars like to claim.

There have been apologists tweaking the truth as long as this religion has existed.

The typical response is that Jesus was referring, not to the second coming, but to the Transfiguration - the photo op with Moses and Elijah in Matthew 17. This was supposedly witnessed by Peter, James, and John.

Robert Price points to the fact that the transfiguration immediately follows this "prophecy" of Jesus in GMatt as a possible indication that these passages of Matthew were written after all of "those who were present" were no longer alive. This thereby leads to a dating of Matthew much later than conservative scholars like to claim.

Then, the transfiguration event was inserted into the text, to resolve the unfulfilled prophecy.

There have been apologists as long as this religion has existed.

actually i have a different rendition, two actually. but it would do no good, you wouldn't believe me if i told you anyway.

actually i have a different rendition, two actually. but it would do no good, you wouldn't believe me if i told you anyway.

The answer I listed was the most common christian explanation.

I'm sure that a good imagination can come up with any number of reasons besides the answer that this is a false prophecy.

And, you are quite right, Freeday. I wouldn't believe you.

Unless you said that Jesus never actually said that. Because Jesus never actually existed.

Then, I'd believe you.

Since I'm a jesus mythicist.

He wasn't talking specifically to those standing there but in the general sense (ie. the reader). So when the prophecy starts to come true then there will be those standing there and so on.

Or, the transfiguration story.

Or, the sacking of Jerusalem by Rome.

These last two are nifty since they supposedly "fulfill" the whole prophecy and yet we get a whole other coming to look forward to in the future. All sorts of returns and judgements. Of course the guy never actually appears, does the work of the messiah or the rest of those things that were promised, but what the hell.

There's the secret return in 1914 (I think) that the JW's believe (among all the others they've got going on).

I know I'm forgetting one or two others that I've heard.

The real answer is that it's a huge bunch of crap but I don't think any xians have actually given that as their response (but I'd love to hear it from some televangelist some day while flipping channels...I might just send in a pledge).

mwc

The answer I listed was the most common christian explanation.

I'm sure that a good imagination can come up with any number of reasons besides the answer that this is a false prophecy.

And, you are quite right, Freeday. I wouldn't believe you.

Unless you said that Jesus never actually said that. Because Jesus never actually existed.

Then, I'd believe you.

Since I'm a jesus mythicist.

its interesting you say that, i remember finding some historical references to Jesus outside the bible. i will see if i can find them.

its interesting you say that, i remember finding some historical references to Jesus outside the bible. i will see if i can find them.

OMFG NO JOSEPHUS PLZ OKI THX! :lmao:

Don't worry if you can't understand that. I was speaking in tongues.

(hey, it takes years and years for a non-native english speaker to fully master the intricacies of lamerspeak! :D )

Hey, what's wrong with Josephus? He's legit, right?

Here. Let me quote his jesus references for you...Just kidding. :lmao:

Okay...How about Pliney (doesn't he mention Christos?) then?

Jesus isn't a myth dammit! :vent::HaHa:

mwc

There is only ONE Josephus I like. And he was in the movie "Mad history of the world." Mel Brooks did a masterful job with that Last Supper scene! :wicked:

...Am I the only one that recalls that movie? I'm not, am I?

There are none that I'm not intimately familiar with.

Be happy to kick em around with you - why don't you start a thread if you're interested. You can call it JESUS WAS A REAL DUDE.

Here - I'll help you with your homework

Tacitus, Pliny the Younger, Ignatius, Suetonius, Thallus, Babylonian Talmud, Josephus.

Got any others? (or, any that are from the first century?? hmmm? )

There is only ONE Josephus I like. And he was in the movie "Mad history of the world." Mel Brooks did a masterful job with that Last Supper scene! :wicked:

...Am I the only one that recalls that movie? I'm not, am I?

I think you mean Mel Brooks' "History of the World, Part 1." Great movie. I am disappointed that a Part 2 never came out.

I think you mean Mel Brooks' "History of the World, Part 1." Great movie. I am disappointed that a Part 2 never came out.

Thanks for the correction. Yes, it's a really cool movie. Did you notice that in the new DVD version, they've cut away the part in the end with "Hitler on ice"? Sad censorship.

Thanks for the correction. Yes, it's a really cool movie. Did you notice that in the new DVD version, they've cut away the part in the end with "Hitler on ice"? Sad censorship.

Dang! Well, now I know not to waste my money on the new DVD version.

We have debunked all the ones we've heard so far.

Give me one contemporary ("contemporary" in the right definition, meaning someone living at the same time as Jesus. Not 50-100 years after.) historian or philospher that wrote about Jesus.

Don't worry if you can't understand that. I was speaking in tongues.

Heck, then I think I still have the spirit to discern the tongues! So maybe the Holy Sprocket didn't leave me after my apostacy? Wow! :HaHa:

Good luck. There are no credible historical references to jesus outside of the bible. However, there are a number of interpolations, thanks to the "pious frauds" of the roman church. :loser:

Dang! Well, now I know not to waste my money on the new DVD version.

Well, it could be that only the Italian DVD version was censored. Maybe the american DVD will be ok, who knows :)