Goodbye Jesus

This Counrty Would Be Better Off With An Agnostic/atheist President

08 hawk

Any fellow Americans agree?

Our current pres. is obviously VERY Christian and that has not equaled 'a good leader'.

-He has banned homosexual marriage from a number of states

-His father has said that Atheists should not be considered as citizens or patriots

-He has banned homosexual marriage from a number of states

No, he hasn't. The President doesn't have any say in what the states do in regards to marriage.

He wants to enshrine a ban in the Constitution, but that's something else entirely.

-He has said that Atheists should not be considered as citizens or patriots

That was his father.

Frankly, it doesn't matter if the President is Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Satanist, Atheist, Agnostic, or Pasta-fucking-farian - his faith shouldn't have any bearing on his job. If he can do the job, then he should have the job. It shouldn't be denied based on faith (which is illegal, by the by).

Bush's shortcomings actually have very little to do with his faith (we've had many Christian Presidents. Most of them were very good at the job, faith regardless) They have to do with the fact that he's a miserable failure as a human being who's too stupid to speak proper English or even swallow a pretzel without choking on it, much less lead the free world in a manner that doesn't make us all look like boorish imbeciles to the rest of the world.

Well said LadyFeline. :)

This country would be better off without Bush. I *hate* that he vetoed stem cell research. Its as if we're progressing less and less as the U.S. and as Americans. Ugh, I hate to see what the future will look like for us.

We need someone like Kennedy in the Oval Office. He was a good presedient, maybe not a good husband but a good president anyhow. Bush has done little to nothing to help this country since he was elected. Im much more worried about our budget and the deficit than anything else though.

Personally I don't mind having a prez that's religious, as long as he separates his belief from his duties. I don't think an atheist or agnostic prez is necessarily better. I think it's important that he has a good understanding of history and philosophy and the basic human rights.

What I'd prefer is a President that uses rational thinking and caution when he makes his decisions, rather than one that goes by his gut and his balls like Bush has done. While these tactics made him popular among many Americans, it's his lack of logical, rational approaches to problems that makes him incompetent. It's not his religion per se.

The thought processes that lead to religion and religion itself just tend to muddy up the waters a bit.

What I'd prefer is a President that uses rational thinking and caution when he makes his decisions, rather than one that goes by his gut and his balls like Bush has done. While these tactics made him popular among many Americans, it's his lack of logical, rational approaches to problems that makes him incompetent. It's not his religion per se.

The thought processes that lead to religion and religion itself just tend to muddy up the waters a bit.

Here's a great roasting of Bush in regards to his trust in the gut: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8...lbert&hl=en

Not all christians are assholes, and not all atheists or agnostics are virtuous.

Fact is, it is unlikely that an avowed atheist would do well in a presidential election, if the polls are true. Atheists are the target of undeserved mistrust and suspicion by a majority of Americans. There is a prejudice that we're immoral, licentious, devious, just because we're unable to believe in religious lore and dogma or spiritual worlds and beings.

Although an atheist president would not kowtow to the agenda of the religious right like the current one does, that doesn't necessarily mean the country would be better off. Although I would never again trust a presidential candidate who claims "born again" status, one such could be a good president if he upheld our tradition of a secular government with seperation of church and state, and good sense in foreign and economic policy.

I agree. I'd much rather have a president who isn't threatened by science and who has critical thinking skills. Granted, that generally goes with the territory of being non-religious. But given the current political and religious climate in the U.S., it's unlikely that we'll have an openly agnostic or atheist president anytime soon, especially since many people believe that those who aren't Christian are automatically inherently evil. Maybe we'll see it happen in the second half of this century, after we get a female president and a president of some religion other than Christian.

I doubt if we have ever had a president who's God wasn't Mammon.

Weren't some of the early presidents deists?

Bush has done little to nothing to help this country since he was elected.

Or the world, for that matter.

I too don't think a politician's religion has any bearing on how well or badly they do their appointed job. So long as said politician doesn't attempt to force their beliefs or worldview on the people they are supposed to serve, I don't think it should be a problem.

The thing is though, we all live our lives based on our beliefs, so it's impossible to get them out of our laws and our politics.