Goodbye Jesus

So I Ended Up Recording A Song About It

Greydon Square

So i was watching Tv the other day and there was a rerun of the vibe awards on or whatever. Someone help me out with this one, How is it that rappers can talk about sellin drugs, pimpin hoes, killin people, and then get on stage after being given an award for saying those things, and say "well first id like to thank God, without him i wouldnt be able to make it" THIS IS MADENING!

Heres my problem, ive been involve in hip hop for about i dont know MY WHOLE LIFE! And when people found out i was atheist they acted like an atheist rapper would NEVER make it. They would tell me stuff like "Just keep it to yourself and then when you make it you can come out and say it"

WHAT?????????

Naw im gonna be me i dont give a sh!t what or who you want me to be, i dont talk about drugs because i never sold drugs, i dont talk about pimpin, because i think women are worth more that that, and i dont talk about killing people because unfortunately ive taken life and believe me it aint somethin to write home about....(Operation Iraqi Freedom II)

Normally i would keep my religous views off my records and just stick to life issues, but after seeing the vibe award thing i decided, WHAT THE HELL, WHY NOT!

So i recorded a Song Called "Pandora's Box" indirectly aimed at the industry xtians

It can be found here

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=577007

The Lyrics on the post below this one

and i would love to hear some feedback.

As always i appreciate the support i get when im venting to you all

Greydon Square

ps here are the lyrics

Pandora's Box

Greydon Square

Verse 1

Don’t hate me cause im atheist…

>Hate me cause I tell the truth which by default makes me atheist

You’ve been spoon fed belief and you don’t even see it

You just absorbed the religion that’s native to your region

You can’t believe it so you won’t believe it

Because the church has taught you that faith belongs in the place of reason

You have 2 sects spawned from Judaism

A regime that might as well have Uday and Kusay with em

With Saddam in the middle clutchin a bomb

Telling you he’s gonna use it if you don’t touch the Quran

With a sister regime to me that’s equally obscene

That threatens you with burning hell if you don’t feed the machine

Cause if the Bible was written by man, and man is flawed

Then what does that say about the bible or Gawd?

And if that same book was written by a man who wasn’t trustworthy

What does that say about the book? Ya heard me?

(Chorus)

They say im in so far over my head

That im supposed to be dead

Pandora’s Box but I aint opened it yet

They just mad because im telling the truth

And what worries em more

Is that you’ll listen when I tell it to you

Question it all

Ask why god said let their be light before he created any light producing objects

Question it all

Why is the poor forced to live in projects, while the rich are given a hill to live atop it

Verse 2

What makes republicans and democrats any different than bloods and crips?

Absolutely positively nothin.

Bloods wear red, republicans have red states

Crips wear blue, while democrats have blue states

Bloods are right side repubs are right wing

Crips bang left side democrats are left wing

Bloods and crips fight for territory on the streets

Republicans and democrats fight for territorial seats

It’s goin down if you catch Mr. Clinton in a Texas town

With nothin but republicans around

He’ll go the way of them people George executed

He should’ve known he was outta bounds

And Snoop aint no safer on 108th and Crenshaw

And they don’t care who invents law

He’ll see them red flags hangin and them black chucks flamin

There aint no difference between these people its all gang bangin

(Chorus)

And what worries em more

Question it all

How can democrats and republicans have colors but they hit us wit a gang injunction

Question it all

How they can have rallies mass members in bunches but then try to shut down our every function

(Verse 3)

This thing is stronger than Blood deeper than crip

More vicious than a republican’s slandering lips

More suspicious than a democratic party of 6

Being sat next to the pope without religious intent

With the FBI watchin

The CIA watchin the FBI jottin

A group of Muslims with bombs strapped to their chest plottin

A bunch of Christians prayin for hellfire to stop em

But not because their planning to take life

But because their not prayin to the same damn god that they are and it aint right

They all just need to sit down and pop some pills

Before they get us all killed with their outrageous ideals

And that’s real

(Chorus)

And what worries em more

Question it all

Why all these rappers talk about sellin drugs but these labels try to tell me to change my content

Question it all

Why I need a club hit to make it but I done seen other people do it like Kanye and Common

Question it all

Greydon, you rock man!

I am more than impressed.

thanks i really appreciate it

No offense man, but I hate you. I've wanted to rap for years, but I never was able to achieve the necessary level of rhyming prowess that you have. Sure, I can freestyle in prose, but I can't rhyme to save my life. And without that it's basically just talking.

That song is hot btw.

Greydon we need more emcees like you out there. Your music actually says something. I really hate the current popular hip hop scene(except maybe Kanye West and several underground artists)...

and I never understood how people could get up and thank god for their bullshit music. I say if you can't sing your raps in church then don't thank god for it.

I think some rap guys see it as in vogue to have faith. I guess it makes them seem more sensitive when they pontificate upon a heaven for thugs and etc...etc...

Anyway, I love old school hip hop and hopefully that style makes a comeback and becomes more pervasive.

Normally, I'm not particularly fond of current rap music for the reasons you cited in your post (ie. the hypocrisy). But I listened to your song "Pandora's Box", and I love it. You have a good flow and the message of the song is great. Absolutely fantastic.

You put out an album, and I'll be the first to snap up a copy. In the meantime, an mp3 of that song would be awesome.

Keep preachin' reason, man. You rock! :woohoo:

Normally, I'm not particularly fond of current rap music for the reasons you cited in your post (ie. the hypocrisy). But I listened to your song "Pandora's Box", and I love it. You have a good flow and the message of the song is great. Absolutely fantastic.

You put out an album, and I'll be the first to snap up a copy. In the meantime, an mp3 of that song would be awesome.

Keep preachin' reason, man. You rock! :woohoo:

Thanks Man i really appreciate your support, as well as everyone else's support. Thank you guys for taking the time to listen to the record, and give me your opinions. More music to come soon...

oh and one more thing i have a mailing list to keep people who are interested in the album "The Compton Effect" and when im going to be finished with it. If you would like i can add you to it, just lemme know what email address to use.

Im glad you enjoyed it. You will hear more. I love music, so i do it all the time, AND as a free thinker i can finally give us a updated voice, well at least one that the fundies will look bad trying to censor.

Greydon Square

Grand Unified Theory

Hey, not too bad. Thanks for posting that. It's not easy to do everything by yourself. If I may offer a slight criticism which you should probably ignore, I thought the drums and music are maybe a little weak, maybe repeat themselves a little too much. Don't be afraid to get some talented musicians to help you out in that area, sometimes other people can turn something merely "ok" into something fantastic.

Have you ever done any internet collaborations? In case you feel like doing some pro bono work, I have a track in need of vocals which might fit your style, and some infidel lyrics would be extra cool. It's just drums (808-ish) and guitar, but kind of has a "kid rock" feel, sorta. My track is released under a Creative Commons license (which means any additional tracks will also be CC licensed.) If you're aiming for a career in the music bix, maybe that's not the best (though if you haven't established yourself yet, maybe it doesn't hurt much either, and may even help, in the long run.)

Well, here's the tracks:

http://www.forums.myvirtualband.com/read.php?13,10290,page=1

(Don't worry about what Buzzingstrings added, he seems not to have come back to finish what he started -- not to knock him at all, mvb is all about having fun, which is what he was doing.)

I'm SteveC there. It'd be cool if you could do something with it, but, do make sure you read the license so you don't get surprised, in case it's not to your liking. And, if it's not something you're interested in, or, even if it is, but you just can't make your stuff work with those tracks, that's certainly understandable.

There's loads of other cool stuff on MVB besides my offerings, of course.

-- steve

Hey, not too bad. Thanks for posting that. It's not easy to do everything by yourself. If I may offer a slight criticism which you should probably ignore, I thought the drums and music are maybe a little weak, maybe repeat themselves a little too much. Don't be afraid to get some talented musicians to help you out in that area, sometimes other people can turn something merely "ok" into something fantastic.

Have you ever done any internet collaborations? In case you feel like doing some pro bono work, I have a track in need of vocals which might fit your style, and some infidel lyrics would be extra cool. It's just drums (808-ish) and guitar, but kind of has a "kid rock" feel, sorta. My track is released under a Creative Commons license (which means any additional tracks will also be CC licensed.) If you're aiming for a career in the music bix, maybe that's not the best (though if you haven't established yourself yet, maybe it doesn't hurt much either, and may even help, in the long run.)

Well, here's the tracks:

http://www.forums.myvirtualband.com/read.php?13,10290,page=1

(Don't worry about what Buzzingstrings added, he seems not to have come back to finish what he started -- not to knock him at all, mvb is all about having fun, which is what he was doing.)

I'm SteveC there. It'd be cool if you could do something with it, but, do make sure you read the license so you don't get surprised, in case it's not to your liking. And, if it's not something you're interested in, or, even if it is, but you just can't make your stuff work with those tracks, that's certainly understandable.

There's loads of other cool stuff on MVB besides my offerings, of course.

-- steve

I appreciate your critcsm however i think you missed the point of the song. Thanks for the input and have a great day

I appreciate your critcsm however i think you missed the point of the song. Thanks for the input and have a great day

I'm sorry if I somehow offended you. I'm not sure how you conclude I missed the point of the song since I never mentioned anything about what I thought the point of the song was. Mostly, I was trying to invite you to collaborate with me (or anybody else on MVB), but perhaps you just aren't interested.

I'm sorry if I somehow offended you. I'm not sure how you conclude I missed the point of the song since I never mentioned anything about what I thought the point of the song was.

Cool thanks man :)

I couldn't get it to play. Is there a link where I can download an MP3 or something? :shrug:

I couldn't get it to play. Is there a link where I can download an MP3 or something? :shrug:

what browser are you using, i know that firefox isnt very friendly with soundclick so that might be it, if not let me know and ill hit you with another option

Still puzzling over the point which I missed...

I did advise, don't be afraid to get other musicians involved, and maybe the point of the song is that it's *hard* to get other musicians involved, in that genre, as an atheist? I could see how that could be viewed as missing the point.

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

Hey ED (makes me think or erectile dysfunction) I listened to your track and, while it isn't the worst thing I've ever heard, it certainly isn't better than the tracks GS created. When you criticise someone else's music and then offer your music as an example of what's good you had goddamned well better deliver, or you look like a jerk, understand? GS is being way more magnanimous than I would be if I received the same sort of "criticism". Perhaps if you imagine one of us saying to you "hey, your drumming is okay, but it needs to be more interesting, like this..." and then they played you something that sounded kinda lika Bobby Brady when he got a drum kit, or even something really good for that matter. There are much better ways of asking for a collaboration. Like "Hey, I love your style. I've got a track that I really like that I think would be great with your style of vocals. Would you like to hear it". I know, you don't come off with as strong a jackass vibe, but that's the point ED. That's the point.

what browser are you using, i know that firefox isnt very friendly with soundclick so that might be it, if not let me know and ill hit you with another option
I do use Firefox. But give me a few minutes to try the link in Explorer.

Nope. Explorer doesn't work for me, either. :shrug:

Btw, Shiva, you're using the wrong initials in your post. I think. :Hmm:

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

Change all the EDs in that last post to GWs - sorry Eternal Darkness. Misfiring synapses. Continue.

Hey ED (makes me think or erectile dysfunction) I listened to your track and, while it isn't the worst thing I've ever heard, it certainly isn't better than the tracks GS created. When you criticise someone else's music and then offer your music as an example of what's good you had goddamned well better deliver, or you look like a jerk, understand? GS is being way more magnanimous than I would be if I received the same sort of "criticism". Perhaps if you imagine one of us saying to you "hey, your drumming is okay, but it needs to be more interesting, like this..." and then they played you something that sounded kinda lika Bobby Brady when he got a drum kit, or even something really good for that matter. There are much better ways of asking for a collaboration. Like "Hey, I love your style. I've got a track that I really like that I think would be great with your style of vocals. Would you like to hear it". I know, you don't come off with as strong a jackass vibe, but that's the point ED. That's the point.

"ED"? I assume you're talking about me???

Good grief. My "criticism" was really tame, and I said in the very same sentence that he should probably ignore my criticism. I think you're overreacting. Anybody who makes music has got to be able to stand a little criticism, and what I wrote was not even remotely harsh criticism. My gosh, I invited the guy to collaborate, so obviously I liked it.

Thank you Shiva, I think we all now get your point. And a good point it was But its all good, i made that track for people like you, The criticsm was, well what it was, ive been told far worse by people far more important (no offense GW) So no problems we will continue to push this freethinking music out there. Regardless of whats said about quality even if it is just a preference of a listener.

Greydon Square

Grand Unified Theory

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu
I thought the drums and music are maybe a little weak, maybe repeat themselves a little too much. Don't be afraid to get some talented musicians to help you out in that area, sometimes other people can turn something merely "ok" into something fantastic.

As though he himself isn't a talented musician, and you are, and it would behoove him to avail himself of your track, which obviously doesn't repeat itself, and was made by a talented musician. I think you've been around too many people who told you that you are "the shit". If you came at me with this attitude I be a little pissed and more than a little ready to fire off an apropos critique of your meager musical offerings.

If I am overreacting I 'm merely reacting to your overstated, pompous position. I've someone told me I needed to work with talented musicians and they showed me music like yours, I'd laugh like a giddy hyena in their face Godless Wonder.

Oh, and feel free to offer critiques of my music. There's a link in my profile. I'm always wanting to hea the opinion of a talented musician. :HaHa:

Oh, and feel free to offer critiques of my music. There's a link in my profile. I'm always wanting to hea the opinion of a talented musician. :HaHa:
That link hasn't worked in I don't know how long. :shrug:

Shitballs. Try Me

Looks like myspace i down right now. Poodogs.

It figures! :vent:

When I try it from here (work) Myspace is blocked due to MATURE/ADULT CONTENT. :banghead: